grim22

Weekend Estimates: Annabelle - 37.2M | Gone Girl - 38M | Equalizer - 19M | Maze Runner - 12M | Left Behind - 6.8M

Tyler Perry:

"I probably would have walked away from it. If I had known who David Fincher was, and his body of work, or if I'd known the book was so popular, I would have said, 'No.' And my agent knew that! He didn't tell me until after I signed on!"

:mellow:

• Like 3

According to the Double Toasted review it does well to avoid that trope. maybe it's just the marketing.

Kl. I thought I was the only Double Toasted fan here. I love those guys. Haven't listened to the review though.

• Like 1

$61m for Gone Girl - still on the high end for that genre of movie but way under what Fincher usually bloats his budgets to.  Zodiac and Fight Club were more expensive even without adjusting for inflation.  I gather after GWTDT they put him on a tighter leash budget wise.

Tyler Perry:

"I probably would have walked away from it. If I had known who David Fincher was, and his body of work, or if I'd known the book was so popular, I would have said, 'No.' And my agent knew that! He didn't tell me until after I signed on!"

:mellow:

He seems quite grateful to be in the movie now. But I understand where he's coming from.

• Like 1

Budget is higher than widely reported - some $/Euro screw up in initial reporting that just got repeated .  It's around $75m not $40m.  Still, a great return.

Glad you reminding people of this, the budget from boxofficemojo is in deed wrong and the movie cost 60m + euros to make.

Still a major success for Besson and Europacorp.

People were shitting on that tyler perry quote a month ago when he said it, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it really.

Exactly.

I pray he teams up with Fincher again "David Finchers: Madea strikes back" would be amazing.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

People were shitting on that tyler perry quote a month ago when he said it, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it really.

He's a film maker who's been in the business for years but doesn't know who Fincher is or his body of work.  Fincher isn't exactly niche, it's  a pretty embarrassing admission to not even recognize the name.

• Like 3

I think it's sometimes the clout of the director that does it. Scorsese movies used to be famous for costing too much and making too little(it's gotten a little better with some of his recent hits like Wolf and Shutter Island, though Hugo was a huge flop) but people get blinded by the fact it's martin freakin' scorsese and keep giving him lots of money to play with.

I remember an interview of a Hugo producer saying how much the movie endend costing way much more than initially planned and the producer was basically travelling the world trying to seek money from investors so Marty could finish the film.

He's a film maker who's been in the business for years but doesn't know who Fincher is or his body of work. Fincher isn't exactly niche, it's a pretty embarrassing admission to not even recognize the name.

I think I've seen several Fincher movies and I only figured out they were all by him about 3 months ago, he's not exactly public.

And when you have the amount of work, wealth (seriously, look up his net worth), and power of Tyler Perry, not knowing a particular director by name seems understandable.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

LUCY: $280.5M Overseas Total / $406.3M Global Total #Lucy

Outside of microbudget horror, when was the last time a movie did over 10 times its budget?

Excellent week for Lucy. Almost $12m with no new markets, it looks like Lucy will be over $420m before it opens in China so $450m is looking more and more likely. What an awesome and unexpected run. :D

• Like 1

He's a film maker who's been in the business for years but doesn't know who Fincher is or his body of work.  Fincher isn't exactly niche, it's  a pretty embarrassing admission to not even recognize the name.

Not really. Sometimes people slip through the cracks. not everyone who works in the industry is a film buff and reads up on who directed what like you or me. It's entirely understandable really.