Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

Is this movie worth seeing? Here's the thing...I am not exactly a fan of musicals, and I keep hearing that LLL is too derivative. On the other hand, lots of people tell me that this film is allegedly so charming and engaging that people can't help but to fall in love with it.

I am torn and confused.

3 minutes ago, Moviesareawesomegirl said:

Is this movie worth seeing? Here's the thing...I am not exactly a fan of musicals, and I keep hearing that LLL is too derivative. On the other hand, lots of people tell me that this film is allegedly so charming and engaging that people can't help but to fall in love with it.

I am torn and confused.

It's worth seeing. The musical aspect plays a big part of the first 15 minutes, but after that it's mostly a regular movie.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xavier said:

It is a very nice scene, sure, but the gist of it has been seen in music videos etc. The choreographer for this is the choreographer of So You Think You Can Dance and it shows, not that this is necessarily a bad thing.

Appears to be shot in one take though, and that, coupled with its sheer exuberance and every moment of the sequence being better/more complex than the last, make it worthy of the hype imo. It's the relationship between the camera, the setting (and accompanying props - cars, bikes, etc) and the choreography that make the scene.

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It's worth seeing. The musical aspect plays a big part of the first 15 minutes, but after that it's mostly a regular movie.

Thank you!

So, are the musical parts of this the typical break-out-in-song-to-move-the-plot-along device, or are they using the jazz/showbiz setting in a way that there are actual musical performances (on a stage, at a concert, etc)  in the film integrated as part of the plot?

5 minutes ago, Moviesareawesomegirl said:

Thank you!

So, are the musical parts of this the typical break-out-in-song-to-move-the-plot-along device, or are they using the jazz/showbiz setting in a way that there are actual musical performances (on a stage, at a concert, etc)  in the film integrated as part of the plot?

Spoiler

There are two big song and dance routines at the very beginning that involve a bunch of random characters. One of the main characters is part of the second big song and dance routine. Later there are some more quiet duets involving the two main characters (these are the best musical parts of the film by a long shot). There is one concert scene for the main male character. Other than that, it's primarily a drama/comedy type of movie for the most part.

There really isn't a ton of musical stuff to be honest. Just be prepared that the first 15 minutes (including the very opening scene) is full of musical stuff. It slows down into a regular movie though, I promise. I'm not a musical fan either.

12 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yes, the "musical" aspect has been hyped in the media far beyond its actual role in the movie. Good movie, but boy is it getting some mileage out of a few minute's worth of song and dance routines.

Now the John Legend song in the middle, a stage performance, well, that's pretty hot, LOL. 

20 hours ago, cannastop said:

You didn't get that feeling when he's grousing about playing commercially viable music with John Legend? For a great wage, mind you.

Being an idealist myself when it comes to music/art, I can tell you that being in his situation would kill me. It rang totally true to me, and it had nothing to do with entitlement or anything of the sort. It had to do with integrity. I also think that he did try to make the best of it, but felt his soul being sucked away, yet still repressed that feeling so he could make a living to nobly put food on the table. I also thought it was a commentary about the state of the industry nowadays re: dumbing down your art so it will sell.

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Keaton is the only one who deserved to win anything for Birdman. And he wasn't even all that amazing himself. (In an ideal world Timothy Spall would have dominated the Best Actor race that year). 

Mr. Turner was fantastic. And, he was fucking great in it. Maybe Leigh's best looking movie to date as well.

• Like 1