Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

Now I know why Tele hated Gosling's character, he's kind of a musical Inarritu in a sense, revelling in his grade A-rtist purity posture sneering at his peers with contempt like he's a parangon of enlightened authority above the mediocrity of them all and entitled to achieve greatness by the virtue of superior knowledge without compromise while the whole world around him are rolling their eyes at such immature pomposity, lack of self-awareness and simplification of complex issues.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Now I know why Tele hated Gosling's character, he's kind of a musical Inarritu in a sense, revelling in his grade A-rtist purity posture sneering at his peers with contempt like he's a parangon of enlightened authority above the mediocrity of them all and entitled to achieve greatness by the virtue of superior knowledge without compromise while the whole world around him are rolling their eyes at such immature pomposity and simplification of complex issues.

Does kind of seem like Chazelle's worldview at his ripe age of 31. For better or worse, he seems to view those with less talent - less talent in his eyes and his characters eyes at least - with a certain contempt and frustration.

Reminds me of Salieri and Mozart in Amadeus a bit but a reversal. Salieri is everyone not Gosling and Teller. Gosling and Teller are Mozart.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Does kind of seem like Chazelle's worldview at his ripe age of 31. For better or worse, he seems to view those with less talent - less talent in his eyes and his characters eyes at least - with a certain contempt and frustration.

Doesn't everybody?

47 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Reminds me of Salieri and Mozart in Amadeus a bit but a reversal. Salieri is everyone not Gosling and Teller. Gosling and Teller are Mozart.

It's funny because watching Whiplash, I thought Teller was a Salieri thinking he was a Mozart. In Amadeus, Mozart is regarded as a natural, music is a way of celebrating life's earthly pleasures, for Salieri it's a sacred labor for God's love and a religious apostleship, a sacrifice. Mozart's music does most of the talk and Salieri who is a try-hard who studied academically music as some serious business and envied Mozart's talent, believing a brat doesn't deserve to be so effortlessly talented whereas someone who is a music elitist like him that painfully dedicated his whole life to music is condemned to live humiliated in the shadow of this irreverent child no matter how hard he tries to compete.

Teller in Whiplash seems like a real try-hard like Salieri looking up on his heroes like Buddy Rich who seemed "natural" like Mozart, wanting to compete, looking at music as a sport trophy with a "No pain. No gain" ethos, all about the technique and proficiency rather than the expression of one's pure feelings (especially Jazz music) that can't be graded on a scale or perfected in a school.(See. The family discussion when Teller showcases how he despises his sport bros family bragging being winners but he got the same mentality regarding music as a competition between the worthy and the unworthy too).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Haha. No. But, most young directors do. Then, they grow out of it. Or, in Inarritu's case, they get even worse.

I don't see how the frustrations on display in this film are that much of a departure from the everyday grumblings from posters here. We all wish the movies and music we enjoy were able to find more success (and consequently get buyer's remorse when they become too popular)

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I don't see how the frustrations on display in this film are that much of a departure from the everyday grumblings from posters here. We all wish the movies and music we enjoy were able to find more success (and consequently get buyer's remorse when they become too popular)

Yes. I agree entirely. Most of the posters here are younger, right? When people get a bit older, for better or worse, they're usually just happy stuff they like is out there whether it's popular or not.

8 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

It's funny because watching Whiplash, I thought Teller was a Salieri thinking he was a Mozart. In Amadeus, Mozart is regarded as a natural, music is a way of celebrating life's earthly pleasures, for Salieri it's a sacred labor for God's love and a religious apostleship, a sacrifice. Mozart's music does most of the talk and Salieri who is a try-hard who studied academically music as some serious business and envied Mozart's talent, believing a brat doesn't deserve to be so effortlessly talented whereas someone who is a music elitist like him that painfully dedicated his whole life to music is condemned to live humiliated in the shadow of this irreverent child no matter how hard he tries to compete.

Teller in Whiplash seems like a real try-hard like Salieri looking up on his heroes like Buddy Rich who seemed "natural" like Mozart, wanting to compete, looking at music as a sport trophy with a "No pain. No gain" ethos, all about the technique and proficiency rather than the expression of one's pure feelings (especially Jazz music) that can't be graded on a scale or perfected in a school.(See. The family discussion when Teller showcases how he despises his sport bros family bragging being winners but he got the same mentality regarding music as a competition between the worthy and the unworthy too).

Yes. This is great read of it. I agree.

• Like 1

I haven't seen the movie yet, sadly it won't reach my theatre at least until February but the backlash is kind of hilarious.

-jazz racism

-chazelle's white privelege

-plot holes about some character's income?

I fully expect someone by next week to start attacking La La Land's many historical inaccuracies.

also LionsGate already planning how to milk this

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 6

The face palming induced by Inarittu 's interviews I read during the Birdman and Revenant campaign trails was too strong.

The fact that he may actually believe what he s saying had me like :

:blink::thinking::wacko::mellow::lol::unsure::rofl::bash::ph34r::WHATanabe::sadben::ohmyzod:

Edited by The Futurist

1 minute ago, Joel M said:

I haven't seen the movie yet, sadly it won't reach my theatre at least until February but the backlash is kind of hilarious.

-jazz racism

I fully expect someone by next week to start attacking La La Land's many historical inaccuracies.

ITS NOT REALISTIC WHEN THEY FLY IN THE PLANETARIUM!!!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The face palming induced by Inarittu 's interviews I read during the Birdman and Revenant campaign trails was too strong.

The fact that he may actually believe what he s saying had me like :

:blink::thinking::wacko::mellow::lol::unsure::rofl::bash::ph34r::WHATanabe::sadben::ohmyzod:

e18d684e-643e-44e9-a84d-8353701617ad-150

29 minutes ago, Joel M said:

-jazz racism

also LionsGate already planning how to milk this

Too many scientific inaccuracies.