Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

They should have went full musical with this. The screenplay wasn't strong enough in this film to support it. 

Nitpicks:

-They should have had Mia and Sebastian sing a few parts in "Another Day of Sun" it felt weird to not include the main characters in the intro song, instead just a random group of people.

-I feel like Sebastian needed another big solo number to do with his jazz aspirations. 

-They should have put in another upbeat number in the place of that montage with Sebastian and Mia seeing the sights in Los Angeles. Them randomly dancing on the train seemed out of place without a musical number. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, La La Panda said:

I honestly don't like this.  I don't think the movie would work that well on stage.

It could work. They would have to add more musical numbers, there weren't enough in the film.

Edited by babz06

16 hours ago, dudalb said:

People said that about The Lion King.......

What Julie Taymor did with the LK stage musical was stunningly gorgeous and totally separated it from the garden-variety Broadway adaptation of a film. She created a whole new beast (no pun intended) that spoke its own beautifully theatrical language but retained the heart and soul of its source material.

• Like 3

I usually agree with Tele on most things but I disagree on his views about La La Land. It's not realistic but it's not aiming to be and I think they did a great job mixing the dream/fantasy with the reality/struggles of the characters. Seb is a bit of a douche but his aspirations aren't too dissimilar to anyone moving to somewhere like Los Angeles in the hope of catching that big break then having to compromise. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, ban1o said:

I loved somewhere in the crowd. By far my favorite song. The script was weak though. Did not deserve to win best screenplay at GG. 

Yeah I'll be glad to see it win a whole bunch of Oscars but they better have the good sense to give screenplay to Lonergan. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2017 at 8:41 PM, Jonwo said:

I usually agree with Tele on most things but I disagree on his views about La La Land. It's not realistic but it's not aiming to be and I think they did a great job mixing the dream/fantasy with the reality/struggles of the characters. Seb is a bit of a douche but his aspirations aren't too dissimilar to anyone moving to somewhere like Los Angeles in the hope of catching that big break then having to compromise. 

My initial impression was actually that Seb was a high functioning autistic.

Loved the movie. Didn't think the screenplay was particularly great overall, but I thought the overall package was terrific. Call me a cornball (and to be fair, I had a phase where I watched a bunch of old song and dance movies, not that there are many recent ones in this vein, so maybe I'm just biased), but I almost started clapping after the opening number.

• Like 1

I think there surely must be some outright nutters here lol. The screenplay was incredible! You may want to reevaluate your entire judge of writing if you think Moonlight - a movie where the main guy can't utter 3 words at once and that's actually part of the story (!) - has a better screenplay than La La Land. A screenplay is a lot more than dialogue but there Moonlight fails too by being painfully boring. One of the key strengths of La La Land is capturing the way real actual couples interact. My GF and I turned to each other during their key dinner table argument and we both said holy crap this sounds just like us!! It was perfectly realistic and done in a way I've rarely seen in a movie. Not overly dramatic but spot on. 

The characters reminded me of so many people I actually knew in LA being in the industry and meeting people at parties and bars and events.

The relative lack of musical numbers was refreshing frankly because it was quality not quantity. A really well made, beautiful film, it got my vote for DGA Best Director. Sure as shit wasn't that pile of crap Moonlight; I hope every copy of that shitty thing is lost forever. 

Edited by JonathanLB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

I think there surely must be some outright nutters here lol. The screenplay was incredible! You may want to reevaluate your entire judge of writing if you think Moonlight - a movie where the main guy can't utter 3 words at once and that's actually part of the story (!) - has a better screenplay than La La Land. A screenplay is a lot more than dialogue but there Moonlight fails too by being painfully boring. One of the key strengths of La La Land is capturing the way real actual couples interact. My GF and I turned to each other during their key dinner table argument and we both said holy crap this sounds just like us!! It was perfectly realistic and done in a way I've rarely seen in a movie. Not overly dramatic but spot on. 

The characters reminded me of so many people I actually knew in LA being in the industry and meeting people at parties and bars and events.

The relative lack of musical numbers was refreshing frankly because it was quality not quantity. A really well made, beautiful film, it got my vote for DGA Best Director. Sure as shit wasn't that pile of crap Moonlight; I hope every copy of that shitty thing is lost forever. 

well said jonnyboy, almost fell asleep during moonlight lol

Edited by IronJimbo