Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Somebody has to sit in the loveseat next to me.

Hide contents

Also accepting any help in finding a new job in DC, tired of my existing one currently.

Bring a fish head.

I took a fish head out to see a movie, didn't have to pay to get it in.

Edited by filmlover

As for the Sebastian Jazz Savior controversy. LLL never took his side, this is especially true when the last say on the subject was John Legend's that Jazz was not about the past. By the end, the Sebastian had clearly outgrown the unreasonable and judgmental person that he was at the beginning.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 4

It's awesome that LLL has blown past $80m already and still hasn't lost any momentum..

Kind of a shame it's only adding a few more theaters this week, but while looking over showtimes for this weekend I see several theaters have increased showtimes for LLL. Several have added two extra evening shows and the theater I most frequent has gone from 4 shows to 8. Oddly, the theater that doubled its shows is the theater that got LLL on Christmas and is only now adding shows when it has been selling out there for weeks (evening shows on Fri-Sun and Tuesday have been nearly impossible to get tickets for unless you bought them more than a day in advance, sometimes even earlier).

4 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

It's awesome that LLL has blown past $80m already and still hasn't lost any momentum..

Kind of a shame it's only adding a few more theaters this week, but while looking over showtimes for this weekend I see several theaters have increased showtimes for LLL. Several have added two extra evening shows and the theater I most frequent has gone from 4 shows to 8. Oddly, the theater that doubled its shows is the theater that got LLL on Christmas and is only now adding shows when it has been selling out there for weeks (evening shows on Fri-Sun and Tuesday have been nearly impossible to get tickets for unless you bought them more than a day in advance, sometimes even earlier).

Probably going to expand next week, after Oscar noms are announced.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

I really wanted to love this film. I really wanted to love it. But it just didn't enchant me in the way it could have.

One of the issues for me is that the characters ring somewhat hollow. Emma Stone is wonderful, and Ryan Gosling is solid, but I don't feel like I really know these characters. Part of this, I believe, is that while the song and dance is good, not much of it emotionally resonates with me - the spirit and passion are missing.

*SPOILERS*

Spoiler

It wasn't clear to me why Sebastian and Mia had to break up - there didn't seem to be a strong enough impetus for them doing so - but this was something I could overlook for the purpose of the story. Then we flash forward to Mia, who is now apparently a big movie star. We see that her coffee is ready to go when she stops by the cafe, she has a big house, a handsome husband, and a nanny. I kept trying to figure out what this left with me by the end of the film when Mia and Sebastian have their knowing glance/nod/smile to each other, and I couldn't figure it out. It left me feeling kind of empty. Am I supposed to be happy now that Mia has become a big star? This doesn't inspire me.

Certainly the film that she gets to go work on in Paris is a very good set up, both because she is discovered and asked to audition by a talent scout who saw her in her one-woman show, a personal artistic endeavour of hers; and when she auditions for the film, the film is positioned as one with artistic integrity, with the comment that the character will be created around the actress, and so on. So we get the sense that is the perfect project for Mia, one in which she can obtain artistic fulfillment and have her genuine talents recognized and put to good use. But then there is no pay off - what we see when we flash forward confuses me. And while Sebastian's situation resonates more with me, the character isn't very likeable.

I wanted the film to sweep me up in a celebration of artistry and living a meaningful creative life, deep in spirit and soul, and it just didn't do that for me. I'm disappointed.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 3

This is a really good read for anyone who likes the movie, I definitely learned a few new things about it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/la-la-land-behind-scenes-songs-dances-locations/

It's funny that in one part it says " Chazelle wanted the film to have the look and feel of an MGM movie " when I had just come across this cute pic of Emma which uses a pic from an old photoshoot that just surfaced this week...  79ef95527526642.jpg

412971527527793.jpg 6e7f82527527794.jpg b96ede527527797.jpg

Edited by Incarnadine

Back from a second viewing. Very glad to see that the bloom isn't off the rose. In fact I appreciated it more this time. It's definitely better at the big picture and broad strokes than it is at the details, but when it hits, goddamn. As a writer Chazelle is good but as a director he's got filmmaking in his blood. 

• Like 2

On 1/19/2017 at 11:52 AM, Joel M said:

This and Arrival are FINALLY coming to my theatre next thursday. They are my two most anticipated movies since they premiered in Venice. I hope they 're both great.

You will enjoy both.  They are both amazing IMO.

• Like 1

I've finally just watched it.

Ahhhh, I wanna go back in :(

I might have had tears in my eyes throughout the whole final scene... This was a sublime experience, I'm so devastated that I won't be able to watch it again at the movie theater. :sadno:

Just listening to the soundtrack right now and I just have like, feelings you know? Lots of feelings, all sorts of feelings. Just... feelings.

• Like 2