Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

Bump to help faciliate discussion? Sorry, CJohn.

My quick thoughts: I liked it, but I definitely didn't love it. It was write-what-you-know by Chazelle to a distracting degree, in my opinion.

Also, I guess no one on set knew how to pronounce Boise correctly.

Edited by elcaballero
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

Bump to help faciliate discussion? Sorry, CJohn.

My quick thoughts: I liked it, but I definitely didn't love it. It was write-what-you-know by Chazelle to a distracting degree, in my opinion.

Liked it but didn't love it would be the quick version of my thoughts as well. Don't really have much to add to what's already been said in this thread, essentially I really liked the musical/technical aspects but thought the characterization was weak, although I don't feel as strongly about it as Tele or cannastop. Glad I liked the musical parts though, this was actually the first live-action musical I've seen. I like animated musicals, wasn't completely sure that would translate to live-action.  

I posted a longer 'review' in the RTM thread for what it's worth. One thing I would add here though - I don't know why someone not liking a movie like La La Land has to be described as "backlash". Maybe there are some people here who are suspected to be deliberately contrarian, but the fairer explanation in my view would just be that not everyone has the same taste.

Also, worth repeating since I don't know how many eyeballs the review thread is getting at this point: did anyone notice the camera going very slightly out of focus at the more fantastical moments like the opening number or planetarium scene? I thought that was clever, but it was so subtle I wasn't completely sure. Haven't seen any commentary on it here or elsewhere.

• Like 2

"Backlash" is just a dismissive label for a minority opinion. I'm admittedly guilty of using it myself sometimes.

When people get really attached to a movie they get defensive about it. Just human nature for film buffs and I don't think anything can be done about it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Emma Stone is my favorite actress, and she has been so since I first saw her in Zombieland.

That's exactly when she became my favorite too. She was instantly on my radar right from Superbad, topped my favorites with Zombieland and cemented her #1 spot with Easy A and has easily topped my list ever since.:wub:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Incarnadine said:

That's exactly when she became my favorite too. She was instantly on my radar right from Superbad, topped my favorites with Zombieland and cemented her #1 spot with Easy A and has easily topped my list ever since.:wub:

Don't forget about The House Bunny! That movie is such a guilty pleasure.

"The eyes are the nipples of the face."

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Have you seen this movie yet, Pink?

Stop fighting, just give in.

Somebody has to sit in the loveseat next to me.

Spoiler

Also accepting any help in finding a new job in DC, tired of my existing one currently.

Edited by MrPink