grim22

Lego Batman | Feb 10, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 7! Billy Dee Williams to voice Two-Face.

Would Marvel want to license their characters to WB, would have thought due to the different studios owning different characters, it'd be tricky although saying that we had The Simpsons, Star Wars, TMNT and the NBA all stars in The Lego Movie so maybe it might not be an issue.

Probably not. It's more of a pipe dream than anything else at this point.

• Like 1

Knowing the long production time for animated features, I'm willing to bet that WB made the deal with Lucasfilm to use the Star Wars characters in The Lego Movie some time before Disney bought them.

So I'm sure they wouldn't be able to get a similar deal for the Marvel stuff.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Following up on my speculation on the Star Wars deal, turns out Phil Lord confirmed back in February that the talks with Lucasfilm were done before the Disney sale. Lord quipped that if it had been after, it would have led to "so many lawyers in one room."

So even if they still have a legacy agreement to use SW in some capacity in the future, I think it's safe to say that neither Disney/Marvel nor Warner themselves will EVER agree to any kind of deal to put Marvel characters in a movie featuring DC characters and produced by a division of DC's parent company.

Steven Spielberg had to move mountains to get Disney and WB to agree to their cartoon characters appearing together in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and there were all sorts of restrictions and compromises made (like Michael Eisner objecting to Porky Pig being the last character seen onscreen, leading to the Tinkerbell cameo). And that was in 1988. And neither Mickey, Donald and co. nor Bugs/Daffy/etc. had billion-dollar "cinematic universe" feature film franchises in direct competition with one another.

So as to any hopes of DC/Marvel crossing over in LEGO form, never happening. There's no use even entertaining the hope of it.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

Oh, and as to a Lego Batman movie...I dunno. The general audience will probably like it, but there was very little new to the Lego Batman parody to me - in retrospect, it feels like a ton of comic geek/Internet humor (Robot Chicken, I'm a Marvel/I'm a DC, even Atop the Fourth Wall) had already covered the same ground.

And actually, Lego Harry Potter would be funny, on one condition: They get Neil Cicierega to write it as a big-budget Potter Puppet Pals movie that substitutes Lego for puppets. And he does all the voices too. I'd see that.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

The way I view this came to production was probably Chris McKay had an idea for LEGO 2, but it evolved as Batman as main character. Probably someone stepped in (WB or producers), and said, "Hey, man. Why not just make it a LEGO Batman movie? We'll go ahead with LEGO 2 later since you seem super passionate about this idea."

At least I hope that's what happened :P

• Like 1

Lego movies can literally be about anything anyway - it doesn't HAVE to continue to follow the journey of Emmet.

Maybe they are having trouble thinking up another story with Emmet and the gang, and Batman was the breakout character anyway...

Yes, I know it's a cash grab because Batman is big. But that doesn't mean they won't have fun with it.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1