grim22

Lego Batman | Feb 10, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 7! Billy Dee Williams to voice Two-Face.

I wonder how Lego Batman and Ninjago will affect the gross of Lego Movie 2. Like a lot of people, I thought Lego Batman would do a lot better, considering how popular the original movie was, how popular Batman is, and how this got pretty good reviews. And I'm guessing Ninjago will do even worse (though still probably profitable). 

So, it makes me wonder how the GA will view Lego Movie 2. Will they see it as the real sequel to a movie they seemed to love, or will the two spin-off movies lower their interest in it?

• Like 1

Is it possible that Lego Batman's audience appeal was blunted by the fact that both BvS and The Killing Joke were fairly family unfriendly films? The Lego films are primarily aimed at kids, but two Batman films prior to LB were more or less unsuitable for the youngest viewers. BvS was a rather dark and brutal PG-13 affair, while TKJ went straight into R-rated rape and mayhem territory that no parent would take a child to see. The fact that TKJ is animated makes the situation even dicier. Parents who had to forego taking their kids to those movies may have been reluctant to risk a trip to see Lego Batman. Sure, the ads and trailers made it seem like a fun adventure, but there could have been a reluctance to trust the studio not to throw the same "dark and gritty" themes into The Lego Batman. Without families to fuel it, TLB couldn't reach the level of The Lego Movie. At least, that's my theory.