grim22

The Box Office Mojo issues thread. Brad Brevet is the new editor, the Simanton reign is over.

Awful 12 hour day at work today, but getting home and seeing BOM back just made me a whole lot happier. Looks like they're not updating yet, but at least the site is back! And big thanks to whoever made that deal with the devil IMDB to get it back for us. Just know your soul has not been lost in vain. ;)

• Like 1

Awful 12 hour day at work today, but getting home and seeing BOM back just made me a whole lot happier. Looks like they're not updating yet, but at least the site is back! And big thanks to whoever made that deal with the devil IMDB to get it back for us. Just know your soul has not been lost in vain. ;)

I gave up my soul a long time ago.

I'll take all credit for it returning B)

• Like 3

Don t claim victory just yet.

Wait for updates.

It still smells fishy to me.

I think the fact that it came back at all squashes the whole "IMDB absorbed it" thing we were worried about. Not sure why it would come back if IMDB had decided to shut it down. This seems like a technical problem with the site to me now that's hopefully fixed, and we just have to give them a bit of time to catch up on the updates.

But if I'm wrong and it goes away again this will pretty much be the worst thing ever.

• Like 2

BTW, time for a gif recap.

When BoxOfficeMojo went down:

captain-toad-gif.gif

When IMDB comes in with the redirect, presuming it'll make everyone happy to have a numbers location:

itnNzqmzDbbi.gif

Everyone's reaction to the redirect (From left to right: BOF, Twitter, Amazon, and Movie nerds alike.)

8q8HcFT.gif

It's back up!

standing-ovation.gif

• Like 14

I think the fact that it came back at all squashes the whole "IMDB absorbed it" thing we were worried about. Not sure why it would come back if IMDB had decided to shut it down. This seems like a technical problem with the site to me now that's hopefully fixed, and we just have to give them a bit of time to catch up on the updates.

But if I'm wrong and it goes away again this will pretty much be the worst thing ever.

Like I said, if the updates come back tomorrow, then the fucking party is ON !

• Like 1

We can stop panicking, but we should still be worried. This weekend proved a few things: 

1) BOM is extremely valuable, and losing it would be awful. 
2) Amazon is insanely incompetent (all they had to do was send out 1 tweet and we would have stopped panicking). 

3) The fact that we actually thought that BOM was gone proves how "fragile" the website is in the hands of Amazon; we seriously believed that this niche website could disappear without warning, which is insane.

• Like 2

I don't think this was a glitch. Ray Subers would've said something if this was a glitch. IMDB/ Amazon would've done the same. I am not sure exactly what happened but they probably tried to do to the site what they did to the forums in 2011 but the response against it was overwhelming so they backed off. My guess is that they will try to move some content behind the paywall but do it in a more upfront way instead of simply pulling the plug overnight.

Edited by TLK
  • Like 1