CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

13 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

That means he was hired to write Superman Legacy before Black Adam came out which makes certain decisions that much more confusing.

Assuming James Gunn is telling the truth (and this would be a weirdly specific thing to lie about), then Zaslav would’ve approached him either around or right before The Rock started pushing to bring back Henry Cavill. My guess would be that Zaslav was testing the waters by having a Plan A and Plan B. If BA had been successful, they would’ve moved forward with Henry Cavill’s Superman, but if it flopped (which is what ultimately happened), then they would move forward with Gunn’s Superman movie. 

• Like 2

Seems pretty obvious Henry Cavill was fucking used to drum up excitement for Black Adam. Cavill got screwed as Supes but the attention has been good for his overall profile. WB looks bad (big surprise).

17 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Seems pretty obvious Henry Cavill was fucking used to drum up excitement for Black Adam. Cavill got screwed as Supes but the attention has been good for his overall profile. WB looks bad (big surprise).

lol no one cares tbh, and honestly it’s more on the rock for trying to prop up his own movie and use Cavill as a hook. It was news for a day but the people online who actually follow this stuff are way more excited for the new DCU(and Gunns Superman), outside a small fanbase who spams hashtags everyone else has moved on. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cax16 said:

lol no one cares tbh, and honestly it’s more on the rock for trying to prop up his own movie and use Cavill as a hook. It was news for a day but the people online who actually follow this stuff are way more excited for the new DCU(and Gunns Superman), outside a small fanbase who spams hashtags everyone else has moved on. 

I'm sure they operate like a troll farm. They do it every day, what the heck. You'll see trending DC-related stuff and names of actors from the Snyderverse and it's the same shit all the time. I mean, when will these people move on?

• Knock It Off 1

4 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I'm sure they operate like a troll farm. They do it every day, what the heck. You'll see trending DC-related stuff and names of actors from the Snyderverse and it's the same shit all the time. I mean, when will these people move on?

Never. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Andy Muschietti was discussed in the Flash thread about possibly directing this, and I personally wouldn't mind it.

BUT I'm thinking they'll go with someone who has a more distinct visual style. (no current ideas in my head)

The CGI in Legacy better be improved over that flash trailer!

JJ Abrams should do this if he is still around.

On 2/23/2023 at 4:24 PM, excel1 said:

The CGI in Legacy better be improved over that flash trailer!

JJ Abrams should do this if he is still around.

God, no.  As far as I am concerned, Abrams has now gone into hack director territory.

And he is not welcome at Warners, after he screwer them over at several TV projects he failed to dleiver on time.

Gunn was the most obvious choice and is obviously 1 billion times more inspiring of a choice than some other names thrown around. In 2023, the creator at the helm matters greatly with audience and critics, this is a high-end pick. Now let's get obvious move #2 out of the way and cast Elordi. 

20 hours ago, Reddroast said:

Having read JJ's superman flyby script.... He absolutely should not

Draft 2 was badass as fuck and would have been an ENORMOUS box office hit had it made the targeted Christmas 2004 release date.

9 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Never read the 2nd draft. Can you send me a link

This is 10 years ago. I don't see it anywhere online. It's the same draft that El Mayimbe loved and compared to Batman Begins script (which had not been released yet). It would be an epic crowd pleader highly comparable in tone and seriousness to Raimi's first Spider-man film but with the scale of Star Wars. It is clear that Man of Steel borrowed some elements from it but Abrams script is frankly 20x better. 

The general premise the same. Jor-el's pissed off brother Kata-Zor (basically Sauron/Snoke) invades Krypton, prompting Jor-el to send Kal to Earth and Lara elsewhere in hiding while KZ blows up the planet. Jor-el is taken prisoner. KZ sends his minions all over the universe to find Kal. Young Lex Luthor comes in contact with the KZ minion sent to Earth. LL uses their tech to become the tech-titan everyone knows him while on the hunt for ET life while Clark grows up and is taught to be timid with powers to not get caught. Clark eventually becomes Superman, Supermania takes over the planet, LL calls KZ who sends his son Ty-Zor (basically younger General Zod). Ty-zor kills Superman, Jor-el kills himself and allows for rebirth of Superman using an ancient Kryptonion ritual, Superman returns and kicks ass, LL arrested, end. 

Changes from draft 1 included Krypton does explode, suit is in the spacecraft he sent in, LL is human (not alien) and is a tech titan (not CIA agent). The action is scaled back from the truly insane levels of Abrams draft 1. 

The script nails the tone needed for Supes and is fill of true heroism from the epic Air Force One rescue that is largely untouched from draft 1, a large-scale world-saving montage that includes a brilliant moment where Supes actually says "I'm Superman", Supes vs. Ty-zor mega fight, and the grand finale against Ty-Zor's alien forces in Metropolis. There are also dozens of Marvel-esque humor bits ala a news team interviewing a group of tough LA area gang members who are giddily geeking out after seeing Supes in person ( "the BEEP was BEEPing sick yo for mother BEEPing REAL yo").

The film was THIS close to being greenly in 2003 for Christmas 2004 or July 2005 release. Anthony Hopkins as Jor-el and Robert Downey Jr as Lex Luthor were signed, sealed, and delivered. ScarJo and Shia LaBuff would be Lois and Jimmy Olsen.  Josh Hartnett was the last piece, but when $100 million wasn't enough for their consensus choice to sig on, they then couldn't decide  on Brendan Fraser (too old) or Matt Bomer (whose sexuality they were supposedly concerned would be an issue) and the film plunged into development hell until summer 2004 when Bryan Singer opted to do something totally different. Fraser would have been too old indeed, Bomer would have been a perfect Superman though and would have helped increase some peoples comfort levels with gay actors playing straight characters/superheros and in hindsight, they really missed an opportunity there.

One wonders where Brandon Routh was in all of this, who was great in SR and would have shined in a film version of Abrams script even if  he didn't bring Hartnett or Fraser's star power to the initial film.