CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

8 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

No one has given any concrete reason as to why Lex Luthor is NEEDED. Most of the Superman: Legacy audience won’t be comic book fans, and plenty of great characters exist in SM’s rogues gallery. 

It’s not hard to understand. Lex Luthor literally OWNS Metropolis. Lexcorp is the biggest company in North America, bigger than Wayne Enterprises. That’s the recent take on Lex Luthor and the one that works best for the character. If you remove this, sure it could be fresh for non comic book fans to go with something else, but you lose a lot of the social commentary that is incredibly important to Superman’s core and what he stands for.

Superman is unfortunately more dependent of Lex Luthor existing in Metropolis even if as a looming threat in the distance and not the main antagonist because unlike Batman or Spider-Man that you can get away not showing any given villain at their reboots because you can circumvent that easily. Not really when you are talking about an immigrant from Smallville coming to the big city Metropolis and simply not even mentioning that well, Luthor is an asshole that owns more than half of the city you just moved up to and not just that, he is a narcissist that will make pretty sure that everyone knows that, think an even more annoying Musk.Osborn isn’t as powerful or rich as Luthor, it’s like you being bored that Wayne Enterprises exists in Gotham. It’s going to be there, regardless of which Batman film you watch.

Edited by ZattMurdock

8 hours ago, TMP said:

WB should just cast Ryan Gosling as Batman and call it a day. Easiest casting possible. If he says no, go for Gyllenhaal - he's not even picky anymore lol

They’re too short but I do love the Gyllenhaal as Batman choice. He just has this quiet intensity.

8 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I remember something about a jj abrams produced superman move with a non-cavill superman

did it get canned? what universe was it supposed to take part in?

8 hours ago, LegionWrex said:

According to Gunn the film is still in active development as an Elseworlds story.

i thought you were talking about the infamous Jon Peters Superman at first lol

@Hatebox  Batman won’t show up til a few years after this one with a new Robin.

Edited by eddyxx

“It came to my attention before the internet got a hold of me,” he tells EW. “But my pie-in-the-sky ambition is definitely to play Superman. I would love to see somebody do an upbeat, throwback [take on Superman]. I love the Henry Cavill dark and gritty take, but I would love to see the next one be very bright and optimistic.”

How The Politician's David Corenswet became Hollywood material | EW.com

Emmys 2022: Biggest moments of the award show in GIFs – Orange County  Register

I can't buy Bill Skarsgard for a second as Luthor, because he has an inherently untrustworthy face. His demeanor was used to brilliant effect in Barbarian for this exact reason - it played on your preconceived notions of Skarsgard as a villain. Alexander, on the other hand, can turn on the menace and intensity when needed but is also incredibly charismatic and charming. See Big Little Lies and Succession.

While Bill would undoubtedly give a better performance than Eisenberg as Lex, his complete lack of a convincing facade to present to the public would fall into the same category of disbelief for me.

Give me Alexander Skarsgard or Bradley Cooper as Lex, Hoult as a member of The Authority (not too familiar with them), and let Bill Skarsgard play Mad Hatter in the Reevesverse or Brave and the Bold or something.

Edited by Dragoncaine
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

Fun fact. David Corenswet’s grandfather created Choose Your Own Adventure books 

That’s some odd trivia. Cool.

1 hour ago, Dragoncaine said:

I can't buy Bill Skarsgard for a second as Luthor, because he has an inherently untrustworthy face. His demeanor was used to brilliant effect in Barbarian for this exact reason - it played on your preconceived notions of Skarsgard as a villain. Alexander, on the other hand, can turn on the menace and intensity when needed but is also incredibly charismatic and charming. See Big Little Lies and Succession.

While Bill would undoubtedly give a better performance than Eisenberg as Lex, his complete lack of a convincing facade to present to the public would fall into the same category of disbelief for me.

Give me Alexander Skarsgard or Bradley Cooper as Lex, Hoult as a member of The Authority (not too familiar with them), and let Bill Skarsgard play Mad Hatter in the Reevesverse or Brave and the Bold or something.

Alexander Skarsgard is the far more intriguing choice to me. Second to that, Nicholas Hoult. I don’t see it with Cooper tbh. If they are getting very inspired by the Man of Steel from the Post-Crisis era, a big aspect is that Lex creeps on Lois. You need a Luthor that kinda is older than Clark but not by much, imho.

20 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

So what I’m saying is that Batman has to be operating long enough to be a parent to an estranged kid he isn’t aware of and be the foster father of Dick Grayson too. 

RPatz just looks great for his age. He's actually in his late 30s. Can easily be the dad of a 10-11 year old and foster father figure/older brother to an early 20s Dick Grayson.

• Like 1

Just now, Spidey Freak said:

RPatz just looks great for his age. He's actually in his late 30s. Can easily be the dad of a 10-11 year old and foster father figure/older brother to an early 20s Dick Grayson.

Patz could yes, but just too young looking. Pattinson is 5 years younger than me and I wouldn’t find me believable as a father either lol. Gosling is actually perfect for this kind of older Batman vibe I think they are going with Brave and the Bold.

id like to see bill in the role. See what he would do with it. Hoult, bill and Alexander are all good choices though yea.

Considering that they are competing with Pattinson's series of films id assume they try to get a big name for bruce but who knows. Jake gylenhall would be interesting...

On 6/28/2023 at 2:25 AM, Hatebox said:

Odd choice not to get a Brit for this kind of role but we’ll see how it pans out.

I think it's even more odd that people keep trying to get a brit to play a traditional American hero. 

On 6/28/2023 at 8:32 PM, filmlover said:

Both Alexander and Bill would make a good Lex Luthor, depending on who gets the part (if either does). Can't go wrong with either IMO.

I very much agree. I would slightly lean towards Bill here, though.