CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

3 hours ago, JustLurking said:

The vast majority of people who will watch this film don't even know who or what Ultraman is, so I'm struggling to take the alarmism seriously.

Sure they do!  It's this guy, right???  😁

ultraman GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have a good feeling about this film, Gunn does seem to really “get” what makes Superman an endearing character when most of DC forgot that long ago.

I think the movie’s release date could use some breathing room, though. Marvel scheduling Fantastic Four for two weeks after will most likely cut into its IMAX run. I was going to say a bump up a week or so for a July 2nd midweek release would be good, but it seems like Jurassic World 4 is gonna make that date after all. Maybe early June? 

58 minutes ago, Mango said:

I have a good feeling about this film, Gunn does seem to really “get” what makes Superman an endearing character when most of DC forgot that long ago.

I think the movie’s release date could use some breathing room, though. Marvel scheduling Fantastic Four for two weeks after will most likely cut into its IMAX run. I was going to say a bump up a week or so for a July 2nd midweek release would be good, but it seems like Jurassic World 4 is gonna make that date after all. Maybe early June? 

F4 is  getting moved to Nov. Take that to the bank. It's not starting shooting until Aug and 11 months is too quick a turn around. The last  thing  Marvel needs is too rush this movie just to make a date.

• Like 1

Fwiw if there is someone I'd trust to make an interesting superhero film, that's certainly Gunn, so I'm not particularly worried about how the film will turn out. Box office prospects of this universe may be another matter entirely, but strictly speaking I don't have much reason to doubt Gunn will churn out a solid entertaining blockbuster.

I'm pretty sure it will be a decent film but I also doubt it will overtake Man of Steel at the BO, in which case what was the whole point of jeopardizing Black Adam's legs and the entirety of DCEU's 2023 slate by announcing this universe prematurely?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

I'm pretty sure it will be a decent film but I also doubt it will overtake Man of Steel at the BO, in which case what was the whole point of jeopardizing Black Adam's legs and the entirety of DCEU's 2023 slate by announcing this universe prematurely?

Black Adam came out in Oct 22. The new DCU announcements did not happen until Jan 23. If anything killed Black Adam's legs it was that it was mid as hell. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

The (soft) reboot announcement (Jan 31, 2023) didn't come until long after Black Adam left the theaters.  Rumors were flying around about just how big of a change all of this was gonna be, yes, but that's not the same thing.

As for "jeopardizing [] the entirety of DCEU's 2023 slate"?  when was Gunn supposed to announce his plans?  Especially with the rumor mill going in overdrive.  After The Flash?  Blue BeetleAquaman and the Lost Kingdom

Transitions like this one are never gonna be executed seamlessly or without jankiness.  That's one of the problems with having an interconnected set of films: When one decides to radically change plans, the things already made/very far along the tracks can get hit depending on the magnitude of the changes.

9 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Black Adam came out in Oct 22. The new DCU announcements did not happen until Jan 23. If anything killed Black Adam's legs it was that it was mid as hell. 

I think what's going on is that folks are conflating three/four announcements.

Aug 4th, 2022: "10 year plan" DC announcement

Oct 25th, 2022: James Gunn Hiring announced

Dec 14th, 2022: James Gunn Superman Movie announced/No Cavil confirmed

Jan 31st 2023:  DC (soft) reboot announced.

with each other as well as with all of the internet gossip/rumormongering that was going on (for example, a Jan 4th story from Variety looking back at Black Adam and mentioning a rumored incoming reboot).

Once James Gunn's hiring was announced people were going to want to know what his plans for DC were, especially with people still snarking about DC's 10 year plan announcement so fresh in their minds.  When it became clear that Henry Cavil wasn't going to be in Gunn's plans, those questions became even more intense.

Why, exactly, would WB/DC keep shtum about their future plans?  Especially since the longer you wait to start casting and pre-production, the later the films will come out.

If one will pardon the simile, WB was between a rock and a hard place here in how to execute the transition.  

DCEU was a rotting corpse even before Black Adam, but this sounds like a stunningly unimaginative reboot.

Really would've preferred Brainiac or Kalibak as an opening foe for Supes than Luthor AGAIN and Ultraman is a lame character who leaves the door open for even more multiverse shenanigans. Because that worked out so well for DC the last time.

Edited by MightyDargon

18 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

DCEU was a rotting corpse even before Black Adam, but this sounds like a stunningly unimaginative reboot.

Really would've preferred Brainiac or Kalibak as an opening foe for Supes than Luthor AGAIN and Ultraman is a lame character who leaves the door open for even more multiverse shenanigans. Because that worked out so well for DC the last time.

Spoiler

According to the leakers, Ultraman in this movie is not going to be an evil Superman from an alternate universe, but will instead be a clone created by Lex Luthor to frame Superman. Of course, we’ve already had multiple Superman films where he fights clones/evil versions of himself or other evil Kryptonians, so that’s not exactly treading new ground regardless, assuming it’s true. 

Then again, I’m not sure Braniac would be all that fresh either, since that would likely draw comparisons to Man of Steel. 

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:
  Hide contents

According to the leakers, Ultraman in this movie is not going to be an evil Superman from an alternate universe, but will instead be a clone created by Lex Luthor to frame Superman. Of course, we’ve already had multiple Superman films where he fights clones/evil versions of himself or other evil Kryptonians, so that’s not exactly treading new ground regardless, assuming it’s true. 

Then again, I’m not sure Braniac would be all that fresh either, since that would likely draw comparisons to Man of Steel. 

Or maybe we can take everything we hear with a grain of salt since leakers can be full of shit and wait and see what Gunn actually does. Just saying. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Or maybe we can take everything we hear with a grain of salt since leakers can be full of shit and wait and see what Gunn actually does. Just saying. 

I never said we should take the leakers words as gospel. I was simply responding to another poster’s concerns. 

Spoiler

As other have said though, it is worth noting that Gunn didn’t actually debunk the Ultraman rumor. All he said is that Lex Luthor will be the main villain of the movie. That doesn’t exactly contradict what the leakers said about Lex creating Ultraman to make Supes look bad.

Regardless, I agree that we should at least wait until we get some official confirmation of what the movie is actually about. I just think Gunn isn’t really doing himself any favors by constantly addressing any rumors that pop up about the DCU. It just muddies the waters and only gives the leakers more attention. 

Edited by WittyUsername

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

I never said we should take the leakers words as gospel. I was simply responding to another poster’s concerns. 

Hide contents

As other have said though, it is worth noting that Gunn didn’t actually debunk the Ultraman rumor. All he said is that Lex Luthor will be the main villain of the movie. That doesn’t exactly contradict what the leakers said about Lex creating Ultraman to make Supes look bad.

Regardless, I agree that we should at least wait until we get some official confirmation of what the movie is actually about. I just think Gunn isn’t really doing himself any favors by constantly addressing any rumors that pop up about the DCU. It just muddies the waters and only gives the leakers more attention. 

Yeah I was not directing that to you. I was just responding in general to these so called leaks. They just get the usual suspects all riled up. It serves no good purpose. And yeah James Gunn should take some lessons from his former boss Kevin Feige and stay off social media and stop responding to everything. 

On 4/7/2024 at 2:21 PM, MightyDargon said:

I fine Ultraman to be pretty silly,(yeah, I know I am a Gaijin who does not get it) and it might be fun to see Supes beat the crap out of him.

But I don't get is inclusion, unless Gunn is really trying  for a Japanese Audeince.

23 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah I was not directing that to you. I was just responding in general to these so called leaks. They just get the usual suspects all riled up. It serves no good purpose. And yeah James Gunn should take some lessons from his former boss Kevin Feige and stay off social media and stop responding to everything. 

I am concernd Gunn might be distracted if he is trying to handle  the on line PR for this msovie.

He needs to concentrate on the film, and let the PR people handle the PR.

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I fine Ultraman to be pretty silly,(yeah, I know I am a Gaijin who does not get it) and it might be fun to see Supes beat the crap out of him.

But I don't get is inclusion, unless Gunn is really trying  for a Japanese Audeince.

Who wants to be the one to tell him?

(not it)

• Haha 1

On 4/7/2024 at 10:59 AM, JustLurking said:

The vast majority of people who will watch this film don't even know who or what Ultraman is, so I'm struggling to take the alarmism seriously.

I just remember the Smallville version which I can't imagine this being as cool as.

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

I am concernd Gunn might be distracted if he is trying to handle  the on line PR for this msovie.

He needs to concentrate on the film, and let the PR people handle the PR.

Dude, he'll be fine. Replying to a few posts on social media isn't that time consuming.

Edited by poweranimals
  • Like 1

I also doubt this is going to surpass MoS at the BO, regardless of the quality.

Maybe 4 years ago, for now I see Black Adam numbers. 

Edited by Belakor
  • Astonished 1