CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

Superman alone is not a box office draw 

James Gunn is not a household name

DC brand is beyond dead

If a lighthearted and earnest superhero movie was going to create a tidal wave WOM for DC then Blue Beetle would have done it. This is a flop or a breakeven at best and I’m tired of everyone pretending otherwise.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 1

14 minutes ago, PrettyMFer said:

DC brand is beyond dead

If a lighthearted and earnest superhero movie was going to create a tidal wave WOM for DC then Blue Beetle would have done it. This is a flop or a breakeven at best and I’m tired of everyone pretending otherwise.

> joined 9 minutes ago

over/under on this being someone who got banned before?

• Haha 5

40 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Trolls are coming

This thread is going to become more and more insufferable the closer we get to release.  Not sure why so many seem to want it to fail just so they can be right that DC is cooked. I never wish or hope for a movie to fail esp one that has the potential to be good. But that's just me.

Edited by emoviefan
  • Like 3

"The world needs an optimistic, wholesome hero."

This.  This right here *is* the (possible) selling point.  For the last couple of decades we've had CBM after CBM that were either full of quippy snappy patter or brooding gloomy Gusses.  And you know what?  A lot of those movies were great.

But there has been something of a couple of different, for the lack of a better (or agreed upon) term, formulas.  And they can still work in this day and age when executed well.

At the same time... Might indeed be time for something fresh.  Something with a bit more heart.  Something that isn't afraid to be unabashedly wholesome and dare I say positive.

Doesn't mean it'll be any good.  Indeed doesn't even mean it'll find an audience.  But I gotta tellz ya, I get the sense that there is an absolute yearning for something like an Old School Superman tale.  Been a while since we've had on on the silver screen (even Supes 2005 had more than a few Angst Angles), but successful animated series after animated series after animated series does indeed show that there are tales to tell without making Clark Kent all angsty and whatnot.

Also, ton of competition here for the film.  But there absolutely is a pathway to success.  Time will tell whether or not it finds that path.

• Like 14

I have to agreed with Porthos. 

Expanding it a bit: the 9/11 made US (and the world as consequence) fascinated with the enemy that suddenly comes from the sky and how we can be saved from it. MCU thrive with this concept while Snyder made 9/11 fables with greyer areas and failed.

While that can still works, we’re now in a other possibly worse moment in history. From pandemics, to climate disasters to genocide.

It’s a bleak moment, a movie with an historical icon of hope being an actual light-hearted, hopeful project for this character in decades is probably the best thing Gunn could’ve decide. If it’ll work let’s see, but it’s the only logical way for this movie to feel necessary in 2025.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PrettyMFer said:

DC brand is beyond dead

I think it would be foolish to say that the odds aren't stacked against this one - but I also think it's foolish to write it off entirely, especially so far out. If this is an incredible movie with incredible marketing, I see no reason it can't reach Man of Steel numbers at least. 

I'm not super positive about this film's chances but I think anyone writing it off over a picture of a dog is silly.

Edited by SaltyPistola

Just don't understand how people can look at Krypto or Fillion's Lantern and want Battinson to interact with them. I'd bet Gunn/DCU's tone will be similar to current Mark Waid's World's Finest series and you need a totally different Batman for that.

4 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

It’s a bleak moment, a movie with an historical icon of hope being an actual light-hearted, hopeful project for this character in decades is probably the best thing Gunn could’ve decide.

Wouldn't be the first time a more hopeful, and for the time, lighthearted project served as a tonic to the travails of the day.

Not that I'm thinking of any film or time in particular.

*cough* :ph34r:

Spoiler

No, of course I don't think Superman will come anywhere close to the phenomenon I am not-so obliquely referring to.  But one of the reasons Star Wars became *STAR WARS* in 1977 was because it was a such a much needed "fun time at the cinema" in a very dreary and taxing time for the US (and the world at large).

But even beyond that pie-in-the-sky example, the whole idea of "entertainment as a release valve for tension" goes back literally to the Greeks and has been seen time and time and time again in one form or another when it comes to popular entertainment.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Porthos said:

"The world needs an optimistic, wholesome hero."

This.  This right here *is* the (possible) selling point.  For the last couple of decades we've had CBM after CBM that were either full of quippy snappy patter or brooding gloomy Gusses.  And you know what?  A lot of those movies were great.

But there has been something of a couple of different, for the lack of a better (or agreed upon) term, formulas.  And they can still work in this day and age when executed well.

At the same time... Might indeed be time for something fresh.  Something with a bit more heart.  Something that isn't afraid to be unabashedly wholesome and dare I say positive.

To me, the first Wonder Woman film and Zack Snyder's Justice League were that.