Interstellar  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Well, I've read a theory since then, but I would say the fact that the wormhole there was created by someone, and that someone seems to be Murphy, who obtained the information necessary to do that from her father, who traveled through THAT WORMHOLE in the first place to give her the information necessary.

Basically, it's a never ending loop that has no beginning, and everything has a beginning.

I think one of the big ideas is the 5th dimension and how all of the big ideas in the movie (time, love, gravity, etc.) are not relative, and can transcend our perceived boundaries.  The movie's theory of time is not a 2 dimensional version (the version we perceive) but spherical and thus the beginning of a certain threadline could begin at a later linear point in the timeline than another.

• Like 1

Go watch it again. At least they understood it.

I didn't understand some things, not all of them.  I didn't understand how Murph knew her dad was the ghost.

I didn't understand why if Caine knew that plan wouldn't work, why he sent them up anyway.

I didn't understand why Cooper could go down to the planet and make it work when the others said he couldn't.  Why was his theory so much better than others?

Do be an ass Noctis.  

• Like 1

I didn't understand some things, not all of them.  I didn't understand how Murph knew her dad was the ghost.

I didn't understand why if Caine knew that plan wouldn't work, why he sent them up anyway.

I didn't understand why Cooper could go down to the planet and make it work when the others said he couldn't.  Why was his theory so much better than others?

Do be an ass Noctis.

Murph and the ghost: presumably revisiting her room (finally remembering the message) with the adult context of knowing where her dad was and what he was doing was enough for her to put the pieces together.

Caine knew plan A wouldn't work, but plan B would.

Coop's plan was better because their ship would spent much less time in the deep gravity well, thus avoiding most of the time dilation effects (at the expense of more fuel to do the longer, safer orbit).

• Like 3

Murph and the ghost: presumably revisiting her room (finally remembering the message) with the adult context of knowing where her dad was and what he was doing was enough for her to put the pieces together.

Caine knew plan A wouldn't work, but plan B would.

Coop's plan was better because their ship would spent much less time in the deep gravity well, thus avoiding most of the time dilation effects (at the expense of more fuel to do the longer, safer orbit).

I don't buy Coop's plan.  This is what I mean by I don't understand.  I also don't like that Murph figured it out seeing as I don't believe she could.  It seems so random and a piece put into the film for it to be an emotional manipulation.  

• Like 3

I don't buy Coop's plan.  This is what I mean by I don't understand.  I also don't like that Murph figured it out seeing as I don't believe she could.  It seems so random and a piece put into the film for it to be an emotional manipulation.

From the basics I know of orbits, navigating in space, and gravity wells, Coop's plan did make sense to me... but Nolan didn't really spend much time hammering home their original plan (basically, they were going to come in closer to the black hole and their orbit around the planet would've placed them in a deeper section of the gravity well for a longer period of time. Coop's plan involved navigating to a much larger, more round-about "orbit", approaching from well outside the gravity well and then using the shuttle for the brief excursion.

I agree, generally, about Murph getting it at that instant -- it seemed a bit arbitrary to me.

• Like 1

From the basics I know of orbits, navigating in space, and gravity wells, Coop's plan did make sense to me... but Nolan didn't really spend much time hammering home their original plan (basically, they were going to come in closer to the black hole and their orbit around the planet would've placed them in a deeper section of the gravity well for a longer period of time. Coop's plan involved navigating to a much larger, more round-about "orbit", approaching from well outside the gravity well and then using the shuttle for the brief excursion.

I agree, generally, about Murph getting it at that instant -- it seemed a bit arbitrary to me.

Movies are full of convenient moments like that. Not sure if Interstellar should be singled out for this criticism. Also, I think it's scientifically proven that humans are at their most brilliant when they're under pressure. Connection there maybe.

• Like 2

Movies are full of convenient moments like that. Not sure if Interstellar should be singled out for this criticism. Also, I think it's scientifically proven that humans are at their most brilliant when they're under pressure. Connection there maybe.

Sure, but the better ones usually find a stronger way to do it.

• Like 6

Sure, but the better ones usually find a stronger way to do it.

Maybe, but since human-intuition isn't something you can physically portray, I actually believe that that is how someone would have made a breakthrough discovery like that. Something just clicking within your mind.

• Like 1

Maybe, but since human-intuition isn't something you can physically portray, I actually believe that that is how someone would have made a breakthrough discovery like that. Something just clicking within your mind.

*shrugs* Okay. This isn't exactly a moment that can be definitively "proven" either way. It worked for you, it didn't work as well for me.

• Like 2

Eh, Murph realising so suddenly did bug me when I first saw it but, on reflection, it did kinda fit the whole 'love stretches across time/space' theme the movie had going so I can't hate it too much.

Still didn't like the movie though. 

• Like 1

Eh, Murph realising so suddenly did bug me when I first saw it but, on reflection, it did kinda fit the whole 'love stretches across time/space' theme the movie had going so I can't hate it too much.

It's a minor note for me. I just accepted it and moved on. Certainly it wasn't more of a leap than anything else that was happening.

• Like 1

When Matt Damon's character turned evil, I could only think one thing.

"Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two."

Edited by Alpha

Do be an ass Noctis.

Those were ALL answered in the film!

• Like 3

Wasn't it the watch that gave it away?  Or did she figure it out before that.  

Yeah, Plan A was put into place as a means of getting people to actually go and leave their family behind.  Give them hope to be able to save their family and they would be far more likely to take the journey.  Meanwhile, it was all just a rouse because they never could figure out how to make that a reality.  

Caine knew this was a lie and still did it because the fate of mankind depended on it.  

• Like 2

So now that I have the time, I want to go over the things that I currently like about Interstellar and what I didn't like.

Matthew McConaughey was a beast in this film. He single handily carried some scenes into greatness, squeezing out every emotion out of you with his emotional beats. Without him, this movie could have fallen flat on its face.

The emotional core of the story really worked for me. I nearly went into full tears no less than three times during the movie, when he leaves Murph, when he sees the 23 years of videos, and then when he comes face to face with Murph again. Now, the beats were as subtle as a brick to the face, and lacks the elegance and grace of some of Nolan's other emotional moments (Prestige ending, Mal and Cobb growing old together in Inception), but it worked.

The visuals were stunning. When they entered the wormhole, my eyes could have exploded.

Hans Zimmer score was different, and it was good. I think complaints regarding the score is more due to the usage of his score, rather than the music being bad. That's on Nolan.

The ending. The last 30 minutes worked for me. I think if you're invested in the father/daughter relationship, it works. If you're not, you're gonna find it hokey and groan-worthy. The somber tone of the ending also worked really well. Nolan is literally nailing a perfect batting average with his endings.

TARS da real MVP. Absolutely hilarious, and as such, is Nolan's funniest film by far, and in a mostly intentional way.

DOCKING SEQUENCE

----------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't like the Matt Damon subplot. A really convoluted way of selling a point about man's survival. Pads the movie needlessly by 10-15 minutes. Also had the most baffling shot and accompanying sound design in the film. A silent shot of Matt Damon and McConaughey duking it out on the ice planet was met with some laughs. That's when Zimmer's score was needed, and the shot shouldn't have been as long as it was. And that's funny considering how often Nolan cuts away

The energy of this film is like the giant waves on the first planet. Rises high like a giant wave, and then it crashes down. The editing between what's going in Earth and the mission really really hurt key moments.

Under-utilization of characters. Anne Hathaway starts off as a charming and likable character but becomes an emotional sap who is a complete bystander for the entire last hour or so of the film. Casey Affleck...I'm sorry.

The lack of detail between 35mm and IMAX footage is really really apparent. So the 35mm really sticks out when IMAX is so beautiful the next second.

Really, the reason why I'm not in love with the film is just the overall indifference to the mission. The stuff they were doing on the planets were just there. I was really into the family bonds, but the mission just lacked excitement save for the docking sequence and slingshot.

------------------------------------------------------------

Does that all make sense? Am I wrong? I should see it again, I know that. But am I coming from an understandable position?

Fuck you Jake

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 7