Interstellar  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Yesterday was an absolute nightmare. Things have been getting harder and more stressful. I learned that after the tension and fighting at work, my dad had quit his job. I was scared, sad, and worried. I was going to call it a night, but I decided, no. That would be too easy.

I called a friend who wanted to see Interstellar, and I decided to jump on it.  Last night, I went to great dinner, art festival, and the movie theater.

I genuinely believe if it weren't for Interstellar, I'd be back in my room asleep, crying, and deciding to do nothing about my situation.

It was absolutely incredible. I've never been this floored from a film. It wasn't just a movie. It really is an experience. There is desire for me to learn more, to work harder, to strive for the unthinkable, to never lose hope, to never give up on family, and to never lose sight.

Once the film was over, I didn't know what to think. I was just blank. I looked around, silence, except for a few claps. What had we just witnessed? I looked my friends, tears in a couple of their eyes, including myself. We left the theater saying we had to see it again. Some struggled with the science, but they all really liked it.

Mcconaughey is phenomenal and powerful. Chastain is a compete knockout. Their relationship in the film, Cooper and Murph, is what really brings it home. It's beautiful, fulfilling, and sad. What an emotional movie. By the last act, we're in tears, and at the same time, we're at the edge of our seats at what's gonna happen.

The script is really fucking great, and the performances really elevated the film as with the cinematography and stunning effects.

I had no problem with Damon. I feel that his character was needed. Or at least, it made sense to me why he was there.

Christopher Nolan, thank you for taking risks. Thank you for going to such ambitious length. And more importantly, thank you for being YOU.

A+.

*huggles* 

I hope everything works for you and your family 

• Like 4

Yesterday was an absolute nightmare. Things have been getting harder and more stressful. I learned that after the tension and fighting at work, my dad had quit his job. I was scared, sad, and worried. I was going to call it a night, but I decided, no. That would be too easy.

I called a friend who wanted to see Interstellar, and I decided to jump on it.  Last night, I went to great dinner, art festival, and the movie theater.

I genuinely believe if it weren't for Interstellar, I'd be back in my room asleep, crying, and deciding to do nothing about my situation.

It was absolutely incredible. I've never been this floored from a film. It wasn't just a movie. It really is an experience. There is desire for me to learn more, to work harder, to strive for the unthinkable, to never lose hope, to never give up on family, and to never lose sight.

Once the film was over, I didn't know what to think. I was just blank. I looked around, silence, except for a few claps. What had we just witnessed? I looked my friends, tears in a couple of their eyes, including myself. We left the theater saying we had to see it again. Some struggled with the science, but they all really liked it.

Mcconaughey is phenomenal and powerful. Chastain is a compete knockout. Their relationship in the film, Cooper and Murph, is what really brings it home. It's beautiful, fulfilling, and sad. What an emotional movie. By the last act, we're in tears, and at the same time, we're at the edge of our seats at what's gonna happen.

The script is really fucking great, and the performances really elevated the film as with the cinematography and stunning effects.

I had no problem with Damon. I feel that his character was needed. Or at least, it made sense to me why he was there.

Christopher Nolan, thank you for taking risks. Thank you for going to such ambitious length. And more importantly, thank you for being YOU.

A+.

Sorry you have to go through that and hope it gets better for you soon. Glad seeing the movie made you feel better.

• Like 7

i'm tired so i'll come back to this thread just wanted to say this preliminary bit 

the movie was better on an emotional level than say nolan's batman films but visually concept wise/look the opposite ehh :unsure: 

i was expecting better , i wanted to be wowed like say matrix slow-mo or guardians funky 80s vibe , that something more that make you rave about a film for 24hrs or more!

i watch scifi shows that happen in space or partly in space , star trek verse, star wars, bsg , firefly , stargate verse, farscape that is about wormholes, sliders needless to say i get those shows don't have interstellar budget but they did pretty good still so i guess i wanted to be wowed and i was underwhelmed by the space shots, the wormhole by saturn , gargantua blackhole , the planets were cool , matt damon character was a moron that dragged the film down i feel , that could have gone in a more upbeat direction 

not sure what happened at the end there , they just forget about anne hathaway character even though she has like a gazillion embryos and will be mommy to them on her own  :mellow: , not sure what happened to earth are people living in orbit , they seem to have figured out gravity but how does that apply physically , did they never try to explore new world after MM & AH mission once thye got better technology wouldnt anne hathaway character have company by now 

i'll say this though there are worse places to be trapped in than a library  ^_^ as what lies beyond the event horizon , i did figure that bit out pretty early when his daughter told him the message said stay , if he deciphered a location then what she deciphered was also true!

now a peeve of mine 1st planet how the hell does that guy die? he was closer to the ship than AH , robot had time go pick her up come back get in and he actually stood there while all the time MM is screaming get in get in and he gets washed away by a wave me and my cousin watch each other and said "n'importe quoi!" = bullshit !!

also they could have spent a bit more explaining geo-political situation of earth instead of say school scene just an example 

but eh they made the film they wanted too , i'm just a viewer , i like space theme films so i was always going to watch it !

i get it its a movie format so i gave it a fickly thin A-
  • Like 1

Most beautiful film of 2014, seriously.

Do not go in with pre conceptions of what a Nolan take on sci-fi should be, do not go in expecting an Inception style mindblower actiony tense experience - this is much more graceful, it's rushed at times but it takes its time, it's not big and bold in action but big and bold in ideas. It is definitely a bit too sudden and uneven towards the start but as it goes on it stops...rocking up and down so much. It feels a bit more like an indie because of the more personal scale of things. And I will agree with the critics that the third act is definitely too sentimental for the mind blowingness it tries to do and I think this is the only thing I did not like about the film - I still went with it and enjoyed it. But where this lacks with tone and story, it makes up for it in the experience and technical department.

Technically, it hits perfect marks, from the visuals (if not Nolan's magnum opus, this is IMAX's magnum opus - my jaw dropped at some of the shots and visuals - I really really liked the documentary approach and the IMAX sequences really really fit well - not as a gimmick but an integral part of the film) to the score (although definitely mixed too loud relative to the dialogue at times) which is very different and I really liked it and much more understated than in your face (LOVED the piano bits, those were my favourites) - actually that's what I'd say about the film - it is on the whole very understated, especially the scenes away from Earth.

(Paul Franklin had a really really interesting intro to the showing - essentially an extended PowerPoint version of that featurette on the black hole - going from the initial visualisations to developing the final version seen on screen, with some really cool process videos, and some other bits that they have discovered after completing VFX on the film. The first of the two papers on the black hole - the astrophysics one - goes out on Monday by the way).

Acting wise, McConaughey was really really fantastic with what he was given, Foy was an absolute standout, and so was Irwin as TARS, he was absolutely fantastic - Hathaway, Bentley, Caine were all not going beyond what you'd normally expect from them, and not disappointing. A lot of the post-launch Earth cast (Chastain, Affleck, Grace) did underwhelm a bit though IMO but not too much. Damon was pretty good actually, a bit too sudden on the transition to his necessary evil but by the end he was great. Once again, understated.

A few more spoilery points under the tag (sorry I know I can do no spoiler tags but I just tend to separate spoiler and non spoiler bits just in case)

Docking sequence was fantastic, another great understated bit of the film. Actually that entire bit from the point of Damon appearing is the closest I go to the initial preconceptions of a Nolan thriller space scifi. "You fucking coward" haha

:lol:

Definite 2001 homage with the going into the black hole, and it looked fantastic on IMAX. That moment with Cooper reaching out to the Endurance during the trop through the wormhole will be remembered for a long time, that was one stunning image.

I did NOT like how the tesseract and the 5th dimension for Cooper was all based on and around (his love for) Murph. For all it's mindblowing intent it was definitely over the mark on sentimentality. Nolan should've taken a colder approach to that bit IMO.

I'm glad that they kept the ending from the original script though with the Cooper station and Nolan added his poetic touch that he had with Inception and TDK/R to it. While some may think this needs a sequel, this can definitely stand on its own and I'd be interested in seeing Nolan expand the universe and the story (here it's more called for than TDKR) through another medium.

WAY too sudden transition to the rocket launch and space, the sequence worked well but it ended too suddenly and yeah I would've liked to see a bit more of the prep, maybe cutting in during the countdown and him driving away - not an issue that it's not there though, works really well regardless. Just too sudden to them all suited up and flying up at the end of the sequence, especially with the score ending too suddenly.

Also - yes end credits are short and purposefully so, not scrolling but static. Not sure if that's the same on the digital versions too.

Also KIPP!! You poor thing lol. Nice reference to Thorne

Not sure if I got all my thoughts down but anyway. This is not a perfect film, but it's a really really great one. I did hope for it to become my outright favourite of the year but it will have to share that spot with Gone Girl ;P But the main thing is this film is experience-driven and not as much story driven, and as a cinema experience this is absolutely fantastic, this may be one of if not the best ever for me - and if there's one film you have to see in an IMAX theatre and a proper 15/70mm IMAX, it's this. As an experience, this may just be even better than Avatar, may be the best this century.

9/10

Well done to everyone involved and I can't wait to see it again.

• Like 4

plus Telling everyone that Matt damon was in it playing tim robbins in war of the worlds/mark strong in sunshine would've driven everyone away.

I actually liked the whole bit. It was handled a bit clumsily but it led into probably the best setpiece in the whole film (Damon's demise and the Spinning Dock)

Cameron had to go overseas to get independent funding for Avatar. Fox wouldn't even commit to him 100% despite Titanic's success. Paramount is the main studio on Interstellar and has been for about a decade. They were working on it long before Chris Nolan got involved.

Nolan brought WB along for the ride. Paramount's CEO said he was very loyal to WB and wanted to include them in the project. Paramount got a good deal from WB though since WB is giving up rights to Friday the 13th and South Park. Even if it flops, Paramount will probably still make money on the deals they made for Interstellar thanks to Friday the 13th/South Park.

Wasn't Paramount the domestic distributor for Titanic? I think it was one of the few rare time that studios worked together on a film, it's more common now. A lot of films now are funded by companies like Dune, TSG, Skydance etc to minimise the risk With Interstellar, Paramount, Warner Bros and Legendary so I imagine Paramount funded 40-50 per cent of the budget with WB and Legendary splitting the rest of the cost so it'll end being profitable for all three studios especially Paramount who has regained Friday the 13th, South Park was really OS distribution for any future film as WB owned the rights due to their previous co-ownership of Comedy Central.

Interstellar is gorgeous in 70mm film, it's not perfect but it does take you on an emotional journey. I did think that despite the strong relationship between Coop and Murph, the other child Tom had almost no development and it seemed he gave up on his dad early on, Coop didn't seem that concern that his son wasn't there when he woke up as well. 

Have to say I quite liked TAR, for a CG character, he was well utilised and had quite funny lines.

• Like 1

Wow. Just. Wow. This was the first movie I'm ever seen in true 15/70 IMAX and probably the last but I am glad my experience with the format can be defined with this movie. 

I'm still letting it all sink in and I really can't even give a solid rating for it right now but I will say I loved it. I'm still hoping to see it at least a couple more times so I can let it sink in. Interstellar is one of the most ambitious movies ever put on film and I definitely believe most, if not every filmmaker out there in modern Hollywood definitely needs to take some notes from this movie. Not saying it is the best movie of all time, but it certainly takes you to heights blockbusters rarely reach. 

I'll say more later but I'll just say now I was quite impressed.

• Like 3

Does anyone remember what the point of the drone was at the beginning of the film. Like did it have anything to do with what came after?

In the original script it's what leads him to NASA, so it felt like left-overs from that. I guess it shows his hard-on for tech like that but so does the scene with the teachers afterwards. 

• Like 2