Interstellar  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Here's a satisfactory answer (imo): Yes, building domed cities or going underground would be an easy way to avoid dust storms. But the issue with the storms aren't that they just put people's lives in danger, but also that they destroy agriculture, and without agriculture, there is no food source. You can build domed cities or underground cities, but you still need to get a food source. And the only place to get that food source is from the crops, which are getting destroyed by the dust. Hence, even if there were domed cities, mankind would still need rescuing because it would still need to find a food source.

But honestly, I like the other explanation better. There are just some things you have to accept with certain films.

But don't they find a way to survive on this giant ships? They surely must have a food source there.

Another question for me was how did they decide who is allowed to leave and who isn't? Mankind did not seem to be in a state in which it was able to build several of these giant ships.

• Like 1

But don't they find a way to survive on this giant ships? They surely must have a food source there.

Another question for me was how did they decide who is allowed to leave and who isn't? Mankind did not seem to be in a state in which it was able to build several of these giant ships.

Plot holes....plot holes everywhere.

;) 

• Like 1

I had Interstellar dreams while I slept, probably my conscious mind poking my subconscious into doing work for it. The result was a few different dream scenarios of endings, most of them pretty crap  :lol: One seemed kinda cool though even if it made about as much sense within the movie as if ET showed up to show Coop how to phone home.

My thoughts on the final act generally remain the same, though a little kinder even if it still doesn't really work for me. I now I think I am attributing more of the not working to the epilogue not feeling earned and feeling far too convenient and forced more than the Bookcase Cube Thing.

Edited by 4815162342

I loved this film but that part when Anne Hathaway had that long dialogue about love really bugged me.  That was so corny.

Why was Matt Damon not in the promotional materials for this film? I thought he was just a cameo, but it wasn't really.  The role was bigger than Casey Affleck's.

Here's a satisfactory answer (imo): Yes, building domed cities or going underground would be an easy way to avoid dust storms. But the issue with the storms aren't that they just put people's lives in danger, but also that they destroy agriculture, and without agriculture, there is no food source. You can build domed cities or underground cities, but you still need to get a food source. And the only place to get that food source is from the crops, which are getting destroyed by the dust. Hence, even if there were domed cities, mankind would still need rescuing because it would still need to find a food source.

But honestly, I like the other explanation better. There are just some things you have to accept with certain films.

Why not use engineering to genetic modified food. 

• Like 1

Why was Matt Damon not in the promotional materials for this film? I thought he was just a cameo, but it wasn't really.  The role was bigger than Casey Affleck's.

Because it's an important reveal over halfway through the movie. The film builds up Dr. Mann for nearly an hour and showing Damon in the promo materials would spoil 1) That Dr. Mann is alive and 2) Damon is Dr. Mann.

Having him uncredited and hidden was the right move.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

Cross-post here since it was dumb of me to post in the main thread:

I thought it was interesting how this is Nolan's first movie since The Dark Knight to actually be open to a sequel. Not that I think one will happen because it's thematically all wrapped up, but unlike Inception and Dark Knight Rises, the main character is still around in some capacity and a sequel could exist. 

I don't think there should be one though, but studios, you know

You remind me of someone I knew who thought Prisoners was left open for a sequel.

Dammit Coolio, don't crush my dreams! I will have my buddy cop movie where Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal team up to fight crime and/or torture mentally retarded people.

EDIT: Okay, Numbers's idea was better. 

Edited by Rukaio Alter
  • Like 2

Cross-post here since it was dumb of me to post in the main thread:

I thought it was interesting how this is Nolan's first movie since The Dark Knight to actually be open to a sequel. Not that I think one will happen because it's thematically all wrapped up, but unlike Inception and Dark Knight Rises, the main character is still around in some capacity and a sequel could exist. 

I don't think there should be one though, but studios, you know

I don't think it's leaving itself open to a sequel so much as it's a really hopeful ending and happy ending.

I mean, can you think of a happier ending if you got to go repopulate the species with Hathaway?

• Like 2

You remind me of someone I knew who thought Prisoners was left open for a sequel.

I really don't think that's comparable... A Prisoners sequel would literally just be digging up Hugh Jackman. Interstellar actually left stuff open.

I don't think it's leaving itself open to a sequel so much as it's a really hopeful ending and happy ending.

I mean, can you think of a happier ending if you got to go repopulate the species with Hathaway?

I didn't get that from it, actually... Will need to rewatch though

Not much. But, to take an example, it bugged me how they had to use a good old 3-stage launcher to get from earth into LEO but later on, they just need their shuttle to leave the waterworld which is supposed to have more than Earth gravity.

LOL...yea that question occured to me too.  hehehehe.  

Also, I'm pretty sure no human could survive going through the event horizon.  Even if the body remained alive, according to that person's perspective, it would take an infinite amount of time as time slowed.  Sort of like a asymptotic curve.  

Still, they got enough right to make a highly enjoyable film.

Best sci-fi movie ever.

Yesterday was an absolute nightmare. Things have been getting harder and more stressful. I learned that after the tension and fighting at work, my dad had quit his job. I was scared, sad, and worried. I was going to call it a night, but I decided, no. That would be too easy.

I called a friend who wanted to see Interstellar, and I decided to jump on it.  Last night, I went to great dinner, art festival, and the movie theater.

I genuinely believe if it weren't for Interstellar, I'd be back in my room asleep, crying, and deciding to do nothing about my situation.

It was absolutely incredible. I've never been this floored from a film. It wasn't just a movie. It really is an experience. There is desire for me to learn more, to work harder, to strive for the unthinkable, to never lose hope, to never give up on family, and to never lose sight.

Once the film was over, I didn't know what to think. I was just blank. I looked around, silence, except for a few claps. What had we just witnessed? I looked my friends, tears in a couple of their eyes, including myself. We left the theater saying we had to see it again. Some struggled with the science, but they all really liked it.

Mcconaughey is phenomenal and powerful. Chastain is a compete knockout. Their relationship in the film, Cooper and Murph, is what really brings it home. It's beautiful, fulfilling, and sad. What an emotional movie. By the last act, we're in tears, and at the same time, we're at the edge of our seats at what's gonna happen.

The script is really fucking great, and the performances really elevated the film as with the cinematography and stunning effects.

I had no problem with Damon. I feel that his character was needed. Or at least, it made sense to me why he was there.

Christopher Nolan, thank you for taking risks. Thank you for going to such ambitious length. And more importantly, thank you for being YOU.

A+.

• Like 15