Interstellar  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Difference is, it didn't take 10 years to create the same thing over and over. Action scenes are meant to get better, instead it started off great then kind of went down hill.

I easily preferred interstellar, black holes, science, time travel, that all interests me and Interstellar actually had a lot of plausible scenes which made it stick with me far more than Max did. Mad max was just a fun little action movie, nothing more, nothing less. Interstellar gave us the most realistic depiction of a black hole we are yet to see, that alone excites me more than any scene in Max.

Interstellar is cookie cutter philosophy fueled of saccharine sentimentality that would fit in a Shyamalan movie and its speculative science is hollywoodian no matter how much propaganda that want you to swallow that Kip Thorne's seal of approval ensure all the bullshit happening is plausible. No it's not. Love is the 5th dimension? Approaching a singularity without being squashed like spaghettis? Jumping into a singularity and survive? Considering a planet in the vicinity of a black hole deemed worthy to be explored for the future of mankind despite the fact THAT IT IS JUST ABOUT TO BE SWALLOWED BY A FREAKING BLACK HOLE AND TIME IS RUNNING OUT? Cooper can send complex equations using dust and gravity through space and time with morse code? Bitch please. Explaining what is a wormhole 2 seconds before jumping in it using the same sequence as Event Horizon 15 years ago. Seriously? This movie is full of those Hollywoodian pseudo-science.

And trying to bring down Mad Max by calling it repetitive using a movie that hammers you the same Dylan Thomas poem orally at any given moment, that explains all that is happening on screen in expository dialogue several times (Oh gosh, that Damon scene is hilariously bad), that's rich. Mad Max manages to communicate characterization, character motivation and world-building informations without taking its audience like idiots while being entertaining and awesome.(For hence, Mad Max exhibits existentialism philosophy but there's no obvious dialogue stating it, it's all in the visuals, staging, acting and action. Because a clever movie doesn't need to wax philosophical subtext in your face to be intelligent. Otherwise, write a book or a play)

There's more awe and powerful imagery brimmed with subtexts to be found in one Mad Max shot (The bog's "mutant crows" nighttime shot is haunting and mesmerizing) than in the whole Interstellar who feels like a movie trying to be 2001 made by a visually constipated director releasing a wet fart. Pot calling kettle black.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 4

Dash, here's what I don't understand. Life seems too short to spend so much time ranting about a movie you strongly dislike. Just not worth the effort.

I've never understood posts like this. Do people not understand that someone could write out a huge rant on a certain movie simply because they might enjoy ranting about that movie? Speaking as someone who's probably spent more effort writing out tirades against MoS than the writers probably spent on the script on that movie, I wouldn't have done any of that if I didn't get some kind of kick out of it. 

I also didn't like Interstellar, fyi, but my reasons more boil down to it being boring, overstuffed and visually unimaginative.

• Like 1

I've never understood posts like this. Do people not understand that someone could write out a huge rant on a certain movie simply because they might enjoy ranting about that movie? Speaking as someone who's probably spent more effort writing out tirades against MoS than the writers probably spent on the script on that movie, I wouldn't have done any of that if I didn't get some kind of kick out of it. 

Fair enough. That scenario is certainly possible. I'll never understand that mentality. Different strokes for different folks.

Both films are natural progressions of the careers of the respective directors.

I'd argue that George Miller's vision and style is fully realized in Fury Road, whereas in Interstellar Nolan continues to fall in a downward spiral of biting off more than he can chew.

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 1

I'd argue that Frank Miller's vision and style is fully realized in Fury Road, whereas in Interstellar Nolan continues to fall in a downward spiral of biting off more than he can chew.

I think you mean George Miller. If it was Frank Miller's vision/style, Furiosa would probably be a prostitute and Max would spend every other minute internally monologuing. Also, there'd probably be a lot more fascism.

Edited by Rukaio Alter
  • Like 9

I'd argue that Frank Miller's vision and style is fully realized in Fury Road, whereas in Interstellar Nolan continues to fall in a downward spiral of biting off more than he can chew.

Frank Miller?! :lol:  C'mon, give George a break. Agree on Nolan's trend. Every movie since The Prestige has been over 2.5 hours long. Would do him some good to figure out how to make a 2 hour movie again.

• Like 2

I downgrade it my vote on interstellar from -A to a B-, I didn't hold wel on my second viewing. A lot less fun and less impresive the second time. (Maybe because this want in cinema)

And on Mad Max, me and a friend started to watch it we got to 1hour and 10 min than stopped watching cause it was one of the most boring action movies we had ever seen. (I liked the intro tought, but the long drive action secuence was boring to say the least.

The worst part was that I bragged about it to my friend, telling that lots of people tought it was the best action movies for years, so I felt kind of embaressed afther we walked out of the theather in the break :(

Edited by pepsa

Interstellar is cookie cutter philosophy fueled of saccharine sentimentality that would fit in a Shyamalan movie and its speculative science is hollywoodian no matter how much propaganda that want you to swallow that Kip Thorne's seal of approval ensure all the bullshit happening is plausible. No it's not. Love is the 5th dimension? Approaching a singularity without being squashed like spaghettis? Jumping into a singularity and survive? Considering a planet in the vicinity of a black hole deemed worthy to be explored for the future of mankind despite the fact THAT IT IS JUST ABOUT TO BE SWALLOWED BY A FREAKING BLACK HOLE AND TIME IS RUNNING OUT? Cooper can send complex equations using dust and gravity through space and time with morse code? Bitch please. Explaining what is a wormhole 2 seconds before jumping in it using the same sequence as Event Horizon 15 years ago. Seriously? This movie is full of those Hollywoodian pseudo-science.

And trying to bring down Mad Max by calling it repetitive using a movie that hammers you the same Dylan Thomas poem orally at any given moment, that explains all that is happening on screen in expository dialogue several times (Oh gosh, that Damon scene is hilariously bad), that's rich. Mad Max manages to communicate characterization, character motivation and world-building informations without taking its audience like idiots while being entertaining and awesome.(For hence, Mad Max exhibits existentialism philosophy but there's no obvious dialogue stating it, it's all in the visuals, staging, acting and action. Because a clever movie doesn't need to wax philosophical subtext in your face to be intelligent. Otherwise, write a book or a play)

There's more awe and powerful imagery brimmed with subtexts to be found in one Mad Max shot (The bog's "mutant crows" nighttime shot is haunting and mesmerizing) than in the whole Interstellar who feels like a movie trying to be 2001 made by a visually constipated director releasing a wet fart. Pot calling kettle black.

LOL this is where you're sad Dash, I couldn't care less about the subtext found in Mad Max, like most people. I was aware of it on screen but that doesn't make me enjoy a movie more, im not pretentious like that looking for deep meaning whilst I escape my busy life to go to the theatre. As ive said, Interstellar isn't a perfect film but its genre its concept is far more interesting to me than a bunch of wakos driving around a desert spraying paint on their face whilst drinking fatties tit milk. You may have not enjoyed interstellar, though how could you when you try and rip apart every small scene of a film, if I did that to every film I watched i'd hate a lot of films. Its like me complaining about the totally unrealistic sand storm scene in which Hardy is able to cling onto the back of a fast moving vehicle even though we both know that storm would either rip him apart or send him miles. He then eventfully crashes and gets flung off like shit on a stick only for us to see him wake up feeling ripe as rain lmao. Two can play that game Dash. Tom Hardy was basically fucking Superman in Mad Max however I never let the dumb scenes like that ruin Mad Max for me because after all, its escapism Dash ;)

'There's more awe and powerful imagery brimmed with subtexts to be found in one Mad Max shot (The bog's "mutant crows" nighttime shot is haunting and mesmerizing)'

Oh for fucks sake, no it wasn't dash, nothing mesmerizing about it, they were a bunch of guys on fucking stilts, just another bunch of weirdos trying to survive in the poisonous wasteland, it wasn't some haunting and mesmerizing shot lmao, seriously stop being so damn pretentious for scenes that don't deserve it. Trying to make yourself sound smart but its backfiring.

Edited by jessie

I downgrade it my vote on interstellar from -A to a B-, I didn't hold wel on my second viewing. A lot less fun and less impresive the second time. (Maybe because this want in cinema)

And on Mad Max, me and a friend started to watch it we got to 1hour and 10 min than stopped watching cause it was one of the most boring action movies we had ever seen. (I liked the intro tought, but the long drive action secuence was boring to say the least.

The worst part was that I bragged about it to my friend, telling that lots of people tought it was the best action movies for years, so I felt kind of embaressed afther we walked out of the theather in the break :(

Exact same thing happened to me, Got a bunch of lads together to watch it, I was the only one who enjoyed it, but I got a lot of shit from my mates. Hyped its RT score but I should have really seen it before hyping it up, its certainly not for everyone.

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

'There's more awe and powerful imagery brimmed with subtexts to be found in one Mad Max shot (The bog's "mutant crows" nighttime shot is haunting and mesmerizing)'

Oh for fucks sake, no it wasn't dash, nothing mesmerizing about it, they were a bunch of guys on fucking stilts, just another bunch of weirdos trying to survive in the poisonous wasteland, it wasn't some haunting and mesmerizing shot lmao, seriously stop being so damn pretentious for scenes that don't deserve it. Trying to make yourself sound smart but its backfiring.

Just because you don't have any imagination to engage the material means I got to suture up mine.

Edited by MADash Rendar

I'll say this for both Interstellar and Mad Max. Both movies at least attempt to serve up something different to the generic big budget affair that are typically on at our cineplexes. I can't hate any movie that attempts to try something different. Fury Road is the much better put together film however. I always considered the first hour of Wall-E as the best 'mainstream' example of fully exploiting a visual medium to tell a story and Mad Max quite honestly tops it for me. Interstellar by contrast just drags under its own exposition. A common problem in almost all Nolan films to be frank. But it still holds interesting ideas within that are worthy of thinking upon IMO. 

• Like 4