194 members have voted

1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

My question is how does one go into a black hole and survive ...  :huh:

It is Sci Fi but at times it based on such a reality and then it goes super Sci Fi. 

Yep, that's one of the problems with the movie ... first using a classical 3-stage launcher to get into earth orbit but then disposing of all this stuff and using this elegant ranger thingie.

It is Sci Fi but at times it based on such a reality and then it goes super Sci Fi. 

I think 2001 would be a good example. It's widely considered as an example of hard sci-fi, yet it also has stuff that's beyond the present scientific explaination. It's not super sci-fi. It's the nature of hard sci-fi movies, which is "fiction" based on science.  What you said "super sci-fi" is, I think, Star Wars type of sci-fi movies.

Edited by vc2002

The thing they added time relativity however I am not an expert.

If gravitational forces of the black hole and the planet dimensions effect time relativity why does not effect the space station oribiting the first planet.

Of course there would be a difference between the planet surface and the orbit however it would not be equal to the diference of the planet and earth.

I am not nitpicking I found this concept fascinating as it was the first time we saw it.

Edited by Lordmandeep

Finally saw it. Loved the score and cinematography. Loved TARS and CASE. And the performances were good across the board.

Thought it was a little too long. Wasn't crazy about the Matt Damon stuff. And there were times I was a bit lost.

Still I admired its ambition and will visit it again. B+

• Like 1

Reading the book, the Science of Interstellar. Kip Thorne explains in great detail how the rule #1 was to stick to the law of physics, so nearly everything in the film is scientifically correct. I'm pretty sure that in a few decades time Interstellar will be regarded as one of the most intelligent and bona-fide pioneer in movie in history.

Reading the book, the Science of Interstellar. Kip Thorne explains in great detail how the rule #1 was to stick to the law of physics, so nearly everything in the film is scientifically correct. I'm pretty sure that in a few decades time Interstellar will be regarded as one of the most intelligent and bona-fide pioneer in movie in history.

I don't see that at all.

• Like 3

I saw this film again for the first time since opening night back in November. My initial reaction was a mixed one with some problems with storytelling and the emotional aspects did not resonate with me. I thought it was a solid overall movie with some issues throughout. After yesterday's viewing, I completely disagree with myself. This movie rocked me on second viewing and still has me thinking about it through today. It resonated with me so much more this time around and I can't quite explain why.

During my first viewing, the most emotional scene was the video messaging after returning from the first planet with the giant wave. On second viewing, watching Cooper desperately try to keep his self from leaving Murph's room was overwhelming for me. I watched it with my 10 year old daughter this time around (she's a science nerd) and I almost lost it.

I can now confidently say I was wrong about this movie and my pessimism toward it initially was all misplaced. I am comfortable with placing this as Nolan's best film, surpassing TDK and Inception in my book.

Edited by Letsuseournoggin

Black hole has been engineered by they ............who said to be far far future humans

The problem with film is it follows a perfect science ..........then it comes with 'they' who also does everything with science but most people are not understanding 'they' and others are questioning how far may be 'they' are ...'they' are doing god like things.

still 'they' may be fiction science meeting our present possible science but still it is just awesome plot

Yeah, I still have a problem with the clunky first 20 minutes, Nolan needs a new writer who can write good expository dialogue (or not write at all, visual exposition ftw). That's my only problem with the film. I even appreciated Dr. Mann section this time around. 

A cinematic masterpiece. 100/100
Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

I give this movie a B-.  There are parts of it that worked and some that didn't.  Some interesting characters and others that seemed like an afterthought.  As far as people saying this film didn't have plotholes . . . that's complete and utter denial.  I have not seen a larger collection of plothole discussions for a film on the internet in my life.  My favorite part of the movie was the the Tsunami planet (Millers Planet) but it was probably as scientifically defensible as Guardians of the Galaxy (spare me the fantastic theories how it "could" have happened and just pretend it can - it's easier that way).  The end of the movie does seem go full fantasy-mode putting the story ahead of everything else. I liked some of the twists and this movie did leave me thinking about it for several days (even if it seemed like the more I thought about it the less sense it actually made). 

Maybe it was intended as some grand tale of morality and life intertwined with science, humanity and technology but in the end it is closer to interesting popcorn science fiction movie than epic, thought provoking production.  

I thought the cinematography was well done but the score was either too light or too heavy handed and never "just right".

which is better Interstellar or Mad Max?  

I'll say Interstellar, by a hair.

Interstellar easily, its clearly the audience favourite. Mad max was just the same action scene over and over again. They barely even mixed it up. First 20 minutes were amazing, but it didn't get any better, it got worse. Interstellar isn't perfect but it stuck with me more than 'Max'

Edited by jessie

Interstellar easily, its clearly the audience favourite. Mad max was just the same action scene over and over again. They barely even mixed it up. First 20 minutes were amazing, but it didn't get any better, it got worse. Interstellar isn't perfect but it stuck with me more than 'Max'

Compared to the 18547669 times the same cheap shuttle's cabin angle shot was used over and over again. LOL. (Drinking game material, everytime that angle shot comes on screen or Cooper utters "MURPH!", you take a Tequila shot, you won't make it through before Gargantua sequence...)

Edited by MADash Rendar

Compared to the 18547669 times the same cheap shuttle's cabin angle shot was used over and over again. LOL. (Drinking game material, everytime that angle shot comes on screen or Cooper utters "MURPH!", you take a Tequila shot, you won't make it through before Gargantua sequence...)

Difference is, it didn't take 10 years to create the same thing over and over. Action scenes are meant to get better, instead it started off great then kind of went down hill.

I easily preferred interstellar, black holes, science, time travel, that all interests me and Interstellar actually had a lot of plausible scenes which made it stick with me far more than Max did. Mad max was just a fun little action movie, nothing more, nothing less. Interstellar gave us the most realistic depiction of a black hole we are yet to see, that alone excites me more than any scene in Max.

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1