194 members have voted

1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Saw it again in IMAX. Just a few things to add

TARS and CASE I love so much. Perfect humor and I thought the robot design was weirdly clunky at first because we're so used to humanoid shapes as robots, then it saved Brand like a champ by changing into a different shape. I was half scared that they were foreshadowing the robots would go evil after that "robot colony of slaves" line but thankfully whew. I actually felt emotion after they were okay with being sent into the blackhole.

Hans Zimmer is fucking amazing. 

First hard sci fi film where aliens and giant spaceships aren't the main focus in awhile, or guns and lasers and that nonsense. The film actually filled me with wonderment despite a few flaws and made me forget about real life. That's how much it drew me in. 

And the whole Dr. Mann is evil thing was pretty unsubtle unsurprising. They even had a dialogue in the film on how nature wasn't evil, but Man was. 

Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 5

I'm not concerned what others think of it, but for me the entire Dr. Mann part of the film I thought was brilliant. The themes and implications Mann brought up in the film were fascinating. Also when Mann cracked Cooper's helmet, that was arguably the most tense scene in the film for me, as I had no idea whether Cooper would live or die.

Surprisingly I still have only watched it once, going back to that Tuesday IMAX preview screening. Haven't had the time, plus not much extra money, to go see it again. I've been dying to though.

Hopefully coming up in December I should be able to get a few more IMAX viewings in.

• Like 1

I'm not concerned what others think of it, but for me the entire Dr. Mann part of the film I thought was brilliant. The themes and implications Mann brought up in the film were fascinating. Also when Mann cracked Cooper's helmet, that was arguably the most tense scene in the film for me, as I had no idea whether Cooper would live or die.

Surprisingly I still have only watched it once, going back to that Tuesday IMAX preview screening. Haven't had the time, plus not much extra money, to go see it again. I've been dying to though.

Hopefully coming up in December I should be able to get a few more IMAX viewings in.

I swear I actually thought he would die at that point.

• Like 4

I swear I actually thought he would die at that point.

Same here pretty much. At that point I thought there was a 60-70% chance he was going to die. That speaks to the brilliance of the scene and the tension Nolan created.

Edited by ACCA
  • Like 1

That scene dragged for me. I never in a million years thought he would die there, would have been anti climatic as hell and I knew at that point there was still over an hour to go. I liked the themes brought up but I didn't like how long Damon stood around for. He wasted too much time with jibber jabber after smashing his helmet and it just didn't feel right for me, but that's just my view on it.

Also the quick cutting between earth in between diminished the tension for me at that point and got a little annoying but that one scene was my biggest quibble with the movie.

Edited by jessie

The scene when they cut back to earth...when Brand runs to rescue Cooper...Murph swinging the car and driving through the corn field...then the icy mountains...

I loved the editing there. Music was amazing.

I'll agree that the music was amazing and sure the editing was good but I just didn't think it was needed. That's just me though

Saw this again. It's got a strong storyline, very emotional moments, and kick-ass visuals. However, I don't feel like the movie ever came together as a whole work. The real issue, imo, is the Murph/Cooper storyline, which while handled well, just feels a little too forced to carry an entire film. Still, I found the movie to be good and I'm also really happy that it was made. This is a really ambitious film in the sense that it's Nolan doing whatever the hell he wants and not catering to his audience at all (again, there's only one standard action scene in the film with the fistfight). I was really impressed by that, and while this is one of his weaker efforts, I'm glad he got it made.

B

(And yes, Matt Damon's character is still the worst, though he's a little bearable, imo.)

Rewatched it, expected to find less... and now I think it'll end up on my top 10 of the year. It's such an astounding, meaningful experience that I can forgive the redundant/on-the-nose dialogue for being redundant/on-the-nose when it is.

Damon really shined on second viewing. He's sort of pinted as the anti-HAL, the guy who fucks over the entire mission and everyone involved (including humanity) to get rescued. Why does he do this? Because he can't stand to be alone again. This simple truth informs so many decisions in this film, and I totally buy it. The scene where he walks away from McConaughey suffer but cannot help but constantly turn back and watch is so damn effective. Damon is great casting too because he's such a quietly emotive actor. I kind of want to believe everything he says.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 12