grim22

Selma (MLK Biopic) | Free to rent all June

its now at 100% RT after 10 reviews . ave rating 9.1/10. it is at boyhood's level.

B)

fact is at boyhood level, and much more commercially mainstream than boyhood, makes it a lock for BP oscar.

Edited by Halba
  • Like 1

I think this is a horrible title. For someone like me who doesnt know the significance of what Selma means its a title thst turns me off. Imo it would be like calling JFK Dallas or something stupid like that.

Woah, this is the first I heard of Paramount being involved... what happened?

When Sony pulled The Interview a few art theaters offered to show Team America in its place. But Paramount wussed out and made them all cancel it. I'm angrier at them than Sony because Sony was pretty much in a no-win situation while Paramount could've just turned a blind eye (and that movie was released 10 years ago without major incident)

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

43/43 reviews. 100% RT rating, 9.0 ave rating

one of the best films ever.

its giving strong competition to boyhood for the BP and director slots. a top award BP is likely, and director for boyhood.

Edited by Halba
  • Like 1

When Sony pulled The Interview a few art theaters offered to show Team America in its place. But Paramount wussed out and made them all cancel it. I'm angrier at them than Sony because Sony was pretty much in a no-win situation while Paramount could've just turned a blind eye (and that movie was released 10 years ago without major incident)

Before that incident were you interested to see Selma? If yes don't let those things affect it because well sorry I think it's silly to boycott a movie because of that

Before that incident were you interested to see Selma? If yes don't let those things affect it because well sorry I think it's silly to boycott a movie because of that

Yes, I was. It's not just about pulling Team America, it's about the very disturbing precedent it set.

Edited by tribefan695

I think this is a horrible title. For someone like me who doesnt know the significance of what Selma means its a title thst turns me off. Imo it would be like calling JFK Dallas or something stupid like that.

How do I put this...I don't think the movie's title will be a problem for audiences who saw movies like The Butler, 12 Years a Slave, or even 42. If other people less familiar with what Selma means end up seeing it, too, great, but I'm glad Paramount didn't pressure DuVernay/Plan B into taking an Intro to Civil Rights approach with the title.

Plus, it's not like they've hidden that the protagonist is MLK, but if you call it King, it can leave the impression of being a cradle-to-grave biopic when it's not, and the focus does shift to other people at times. Lincoln was also about a narrow window of time in his life and called Lincoln, so calling it King wouldn't have been unjustifed, but I don't think Selma's ultimate financial potential will hinge on MLK's name not being in the title.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 2

Plus, it's not like they've hidden that the protagonist is MLK, but if you call it King, it can leave the impression of being a cradle-to-grave biopic when it's not, and the focus does shift to other people at times. Lincoln was also about a narrow window of time in his life and called Lincoln, so calling it King wouldn't have been unjustifed, but I don't think Selma's ultimate financial potential will hinge on MLK's name not being in the title.

Not to mention you don't want to give credence to a Boondocks lampoon.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1