kitik

Weekend actuals (Big Hero 6 56.2, Interstellar 47.5)

I am convinced ANNIE's going to over perform. The last trailer made it look like the perfect holiday movie. 

$200+ million isn't out of the question.  :ph34r:

Maybe if Annie had opened 2 weeks before it did, but putting it up against the Hobbit AND Night at the Museum 3 was a huge mistake. There are no family movies the prior two weeks and then Into the Woods opens a week later.

Maybe if Annie had opened 2 weeks before it did, but putting it up against the Hobbit AND Night at the Museum 3 was a huge mistake. There are no family movies the prior two weeks and then Into the Woods opens a week later.

I forget that Hobbit and NATM is coming out LOL!

I'll choose Annie and maybe NATM to see with my kid over break. 

I forget that Hobbit and NATM is coming out LOL!

I'll choose Annie and maybe NATM to see with my kid over break. 

Not only are they coming out but they are all three being released the same week! Yet no new family movies are being released the prior two weeks. Makes no sense. Whomever chose Annie's release date should be fired.

• Like 2

No. That one is not possible. Just about everything else is on the table but Jupiter is guaranteed to bomb even harder than Interstellar. :P

Yeah, I'd take Mad Max or Terminator or American Sniper or even Annie over JA's box office prospects.

• Like 5

Wonder how much lower itll go when the actuals come in. Below The Squeakquel?

Will it fall under SQUEAKQUEL with actuals?

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Opening* Wknd

Rank

Theaters Average Total Gross^ Date**
9 Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel Fox $48,875,415 3 3,700 $13,210 $219,614,612 12/23/09
10 Tangled BV $48,767,052 2 3,603 $13,535 $200,821,936 11/24/10
11 Kung Fu Panda 2 P/DW $47,656,302 2 3,925 $12,142 $165,249,063 5/26/11
12 The Longest Yard Par. $47,606,480 2 3,634 $13,100 $158,119,460 5/27/05
13 Interstellar Par. $47,510,360 2 3,561 $13,342 $49,661,813 11/07/14

Posted Image

• Like 10

You just answered your own question. Interstellar having IMAX is a unique factor that we do not yet know how much significance will have to the ultimate gross. Interstellar holds on to all of its IMAX screens for almost 2 months, combined with the very high IMAX percentage is not something we've seen other films do before. The legs may play out in a unique way.

Six weeks, let's not round up too dramatically. ;)

We all know very well that those supposedly iron-clad IMAX contracts are always renegotiated when a movie under-performs. By the time MJ1 comes out the IMAX owners will have hammered out a deal to give the mega-blockbuster a huge share of the premium show times. The studios will go along, perforce or pragmatically.

50 Shades of Grey will be a better movie than the both of them

The lack of male full-frontal will prevent Fiddy Shades from becoming a true masterpiece.
  • Like 1

I am convinced ANNIE's going to over perform. The last trailer made it look like the perfect holiday movie. 

$200+ million isn't out of the question.  :ph34r:

ETA: B) okay, maybe $160million-170. The movie looks great, okay? 

I agree.  I saw BH6 with some kids and of the 7 trailers we saw, Annie was the one they were the most into. There's too much competition for it to really go nuts, but I think 120-140m is quite possible.

Also, I'm not sure Into the Woods is going to be big.  The trailer doesn't make at all clear its a musical, and while the subject matter says its a kids movie, the trailer is a bit dark and entirely lacking in actual kids.  And there's no princess-y looking young women, or anything particularly cute or magic-y to bring in the girls, or action or monsters to bring in the boys.  I mean, really, does anyone have even the faintest idea what its actually about other than live-action Disney characters singing?

So, to sum up, its trailer is deceptive as to what the movie is actually like, its giving very confused messages about its target audience, and its opening into a metric f**k-ton of competition.  My suspicion is that its actual target audience is dedicated Glee watchers and there just aren't that many of them.  Its opening on Christmas day, the week after Hobbit, Annie, and Night at the Museum 3 (as others have noted, any of the non-Hobbit movies would have been a LOT better off if they'd opened a couple weeks earlier, but here we are.  Maybe they were scared of Exodus for some reason?).  It could be ugly.

Edit - A bunch of edits.  Plus, Into the Woods needs to either score huge reviews or do a vastly better job of explaining why anyone should see it, or its got an excellent chance of tanking hard.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 3

I agree.  I saw BH6 with some kids and of the 7 trailers we saw, Annie was the one they were the most into.  There's too much competition for it to really go nuts, but I think 120-140m is quite possible.

Also, I'm not sure Into the Woods is going to be big.  The trailer doesn't make at all clear its a musical, and while the subject matter says its a kids movie, the trailer is a bit dark and entirely lacking in actual kids, princess-y looking young women, or anything particularly cute or magic-y. 

So, to sum up, its trailer is deceptive as to what the movie is actually like, its giving very confused messages about its target audience, and its opening into a metric f**k-ton of competition.  My suspicion is that its actual target audience is dedicated Glee watchers and there just aren't that many of them.  Its opening on Christmas day, the week after Hobbit, Annie, and Night at the Museum 3 (as others have noted, any of the non-Hobbit movies would have been a LOT better off if they'd opened a couple weeks earlier, but here we are.  Maybe they were scared of Exodus for some reason?).

The final trailer which came out last week does show that it's a musical.

• Like 1

No. That one is not possible. Just about everything else is on the table but Jupiter is guaranteed to bomb even harder than Interstellar. :P

Yeah, I'd take Mad Max or Terminator or American Sniper or even Annie over JA's box office prospects.

Haters.

I agree.  I saw BH6 with some kids and of the 7 trailers we saw, Annie was the one they were the most into.  There's too much competition for it to really go nuts, but I think 120-140m is quite possible.

Also, I'm not sure Into the Woods is going to be big.  The trailer doesn't make at all clear its a musical, and while the subject matter says its a kids movie, the trailer is a bit dark and entirely lacking in actual kids, princess-y looking young women, or anything particularly cute or magic-y. 

So, to sum up, its trailer is deceptive as to what the movie is actually like, its giving very confused messages about its target audience, and its opening into a metric f**k-ton of competition.  My suspicion is that its actual target audience is dedicated Glee watchers and there just aren't that many of them.  Its opening on Christmas day, the week after Hobbit, Annie, and Night at the Museum 3 (as others have noted, any of the non-Hobbit movies would have been a LOT better off if they'd opened a couple weeks earlier, but here we are.  Maybe they were scared of Exodus for some reason?).

Sheeeeeeit… I legitimately teared up during that fucking Annie trailer on the big screen. My son was all sorts of into it too, and he loves musicals, so. 

Yeah, I guess your range would be pretty good for it, given the competition. 

Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
  • Like 2