grim22

Weekend Numbers (Nov 14-16) pg 39

Some of the stories are really interesting to read with the benefit of hindsight. And also shows just how far film journalism has fallen in the past decade or so, just comparing the articles from the 90s and 2000s to this decade show that SEO optimization and page hits rule all.

Btw, Tele, You must have fond memories of Sony launching this product. Did they do a giant press conference?

I was way more excited when this was revealed.

irrl_03_img0136.jpg

• Like 13

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/box-office-jim-carrey-dumb-and-dumber-to-dominates-friday-1201356640/

Harry and Lloyd are back in a big way with “Dumb and Dumber To” eyeing an opening weekend between $36 million and $40 million, according to early estimates.

The sequel, starring Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels, charged out of the gate Friday in a dominant position with forecasts between $13 million and $16 million for the day.

Friday’s launch of “Dumb and Dumber To” — including $1.6 million from Thursday night — left Disney’s “Big Hero 6″ and Paramount’s “Interstellar” in the dust on Friday. But both tentpoles looked likely to wind up the weekend impressively with declines of less than 40%.

“Hero” was on track to take in $8 million on Friday, then double that figure on Saturday and finish the weekend at about $34 million. That would give the Disney toon a 10-day total of about $110 million.

The second weekend of Christopher Nolan’s “Interstellar” was heading for an $8.5 million Friday and a $29 million weekend — leaving the space epic with nearly $98 million in its first dozen days.

Relativity’s launch of romancer “Beyond the Lights” at 1,789 locations failed to strike many sparks with Friday estimates at under $2 million for an opening weekend in the $5 million range.

• Like 2

When it comes to technology, Sony is world class. When it comes to movies, its a little more like world ass.

There was a time they ruled the music industry as well, with Celine Dion, Mariah Carey and Michael Jackson to name a few all on their roster.

Is Dumb and Dumber 2 still going to open above 30 million even with the poor reviews?  29% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 36 on Metacritic....will the target audience for this still show up in the same way the Grown Ups movies audience will show up no matter what the reviews are?

I think bad reviews from critics is more of a plus than a minus. A critically acclaimed Dumb and Dumber film would have to include some kind of social commentary that a lot of the potential audience of a dumb and Dumber film isn't interested in seeing.

• Like 5

Yes, clearly people hate "dumb" humour. 

bunk-the-wire.gif

Apparently you don't know the meaning of sarcasm.  I actually like D&D (the first one) and many movies in that vein.  I don't expect a lot from the sequel though.

• Like 1

I think much of the humor in Jim Carrey's movies -just like Will Ferrell's humor- is not for everybody.

I agree.  I'll be thrilled if it's actually good.  I just don't want to expect it'll be the best thing ever before going to see it.  Build it up too much and it's easy to get disappointed.

• Like 4

$8.5m would be really good, but I just have a feeling it's not going to happen. I wish it would, though. That would give it roughly a $13m-ish Saturday for a $30m weekend. That would be a fantastic drop. Less than 40%. 

• Like 2

I agree.  I'll be thrilled if it's actually good.  I just don't want to expect it'll be the best thing ever before going to see it.  Build it up too much and it's easy to get disappointed.

Tbh, for me the original Dumb and Dumber isn't even Carrey's best film. IMO Liar Liar and Ace Ventura are way funnier. Still really like D&D though.

• Like 2