CoolioD1

Weekend Actuals: Mockingjay - $121,897,634 (It Went SO Wrong!)

I agree that the split was justified to an extent, since it was the finale of a decade-long story. They wanted to go out with a bang, so did the audience, and splitting it in two allowed for a more detailed adaptation of the book. I think they executed it well.

However, it's nonsense that "the story could not have fitted into one 3 hour film". They managed to adapt Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince into 2-hour films, and those books are both longer than Deathly Hallows. I'm glad they didn't do it, but it was definitely doable.

OoTP has a lot of filler and unnecessary scenes. And HBP is shorter, and is also filled with a lot of teenage romance that could easily be cut.

More plot happens in DH though. OOTP and HBP are long books, but they have a lot of extraneous plot lines that could and were easily cut without much being affected. Not the case with DH, and, I would argue, with GOF.

Agreed.

The books needed a tougher editor more than the movies needed to be split in half.

GoF just needed to cut down on that AWFUL humor, and some of the teenage "romance". 

I still think the way they handled Crouch Jr was awful. He was a hack in the film. What made him so terrifying in the books is that he was so calm, broken, and lost...and that's what made it hit so hard. You never expected it. 

And one of the worst omissions in the series for me is at the end of GoF when Harry is hugged by Mrs. Weasley. It was so incredibly touching when she consoled him. It was the first time he'd ever felt like he had a mother in his life. Ugh.

I had never really thought of it like that, but yes. The humor was horrendously bad. I was seriously worried for the series after GOF, but thank God for Yates. Newell clearly didn't understand Harry Potter.

People should check out The Guest. that shits on the movies this year that cost 10x as much.

I'll definitely catch it on DVD - by the time I actively sought it out it'd left theaters. The trailer looked like pulp heaven.

Edited by Untitled Hatebox Project
  • Like 1

Agreed.

The books needed a tougher editor more than the movies needed to be split in half.

Fair point. I liked the length of the later books because it felt like a year was passing within the story. But obviously you can't really translate that kind of feeling to film very well without having it be excessively long.

Jack Nevada's See These Movies Before Making Your Top 10 List

-- you know you want it!

Listen Up Philip, A Most Wanted Man, Life Itself, The Babadook, ABCs of Death 2, Locke, Nymphomaniac, Enemy, Nightcrawler, We Are The Best!, Only Lovers Left Alive, Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon, Cheap Thrills

• Like 1

And yet people claim there's variety in comic-book movies. It's hardly like all movies based on a person's real-life events are the same.

No one claims a CBM will win Best Picture though. We may end up with 7 of the nominees being a biopic this year.

• Like 3

-- you know you want it!

Listen Up Philip, A Most Wanted Man, Life Itself, The Babadook, ABCs of Death 2, Locke, Nymphomaniac, Enemy, Nightcrawler, We Are The Best!, Only Lovers Left Alive, Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon, Cheap Thrills

I have seen none of these and doubt I ever will.

-- you know you want it!

I've only seen one of these (life itself) and maybe you can guess what I thought of it...

No one claims a CBM will win Best Picture though. We may end up with 7 of the nominees being a biopic this year.

lol, we did have some folks talking about a Best Picture win for TDKR  :ph34r:

• Like 2