CoolioD1

Weekend Actuals: Mockingjay - $121,897,634 (It Went SO Wrong!)

Just a gentle reminder, guys: enjoy the last glorious derailment of numbers threads. We'll be responsible/ruthless again after the transition.

You mean the new forum will be ruled as an autocracy, like the Capitol in the Hunger Games saga ?

Bummer.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

I don't care which movie's going to win the domestic crown this year. I loved both GotG and Mockingjay. And I know that I'm going to love Hobbit as well :) All this drama between the fanbases is beyond ridiculous.

But you gota love it :D

Just a gentle reminder, guys: enjoy the last glorious derailment of numbers threads. We'll be responsible/ruthless again after the transition.

We're paying y'all's (non-existent) salaries, don't get snippy with us

Edited by Chewy
  • Like 4

You mean the new forum will be ruled as an autocracy, like the Capitol in the Hunger Games saga ?

Bummer.

It's a classic triumvirate. Shawn is Octavian, Water Bottle is Lepidus, and I'm Anthony.*

Shawn is Brahma, Water Bottle is Vishnu, and I'm Shiva. (Creation, maintenance, and destruction, respectively.)

* (Given the way that turned out, actually, I'm nixing this comparison.) :lol:

• Like 7

It's a classic triumvirate. Shawn is Octavian, Water Bottle is Lepidus, and I'm Anthony.*

Shawn is Brahma, Water Bottle is Vishnu, and I'm Shiva. (Creation, maintenance, and destruction, respectively.)

* (Given the way that turned out, actually, I'm nixing this comparison.) :lol:

You're skipping out on the chance to score Cleopatra before you die? 

Though that comparison does beg the question, who was poor betrayed Caesar?

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

In terms of opening weekend fumbles.

Clearly the biggest since IM2 opening weekend where perdictions were over 150 million and actuals were 128 million.

However that still ended up around IM1 numbers domestically in the end and compared to this year a decent opener. 

Imo MJ1 is headed for a bigger disappointment domestically then IM2. :blink:

I'm not that sure, but in the Cartoon Sleeping Beauty didn't the Prince only have 2 lines in the middle of the movie before never speaking again?

no he had a lot of lines. He was a main role I think. He had that song Önce upon a dream" with Sleeping Beauty and saved her from the dragon.

Clearly the biggest since IM2 opening weekend where perdictions were over 150 million and actuals were 128 million.

However that still ended up around IM1 numbers domestically in the end and compared to this year a decent opener. 

Thats because IM2 was a sequel and MJ1 was a placeholder.

Thats because IM2 was a sequel and MJ1 was a placeholder.

I call this historical revisionism.

MJ1 may have been a place holder but everyone thought the might of the franchise would allow box office numbers to remain pretty high. 

Anyone who says under 350 or even 300 was possibile is lying. 

Both underperformed for similar reasons, poor marketing, quality not as great, not much novelty to attract interest. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

In hindsight it was pretty ridiculous of us to expect such a massive OW out of IM2 when the first didn't even hit 100. Nothing remotely ridiculous about expecting 150m out of MJ1 though.

no he had a lot of lines. He was a main role I think. He had that song Önce upon a dream" with Sleeping Beauty and saved her from the dragon.

As a kid, just seeing clips of the movies on the Disney Channel, I somehow ended up under the impression that the princes in Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty had no lines at all, they just stood around smiling. Eventually, when I got a little older and actually saw the movies, I realized this wasn't true, but this just reminded me of that.