K1stpierre

Monday #'s: Penguins 0.811M, Interstellar 0.84M, Horrible Bosses 1.10M, Big Hero 6 0.613M, THG MJ1 2.64M

Penguins will be lucky to get to about 70.

I'm thinking more like $80-90M depending on WOM and how the competition does. That's still really, really bad for DWA. :unsure: If Penguins of Madagascar grosses less than $300M OS, they're going to lose their shirts. And even if they somehow broke even on this, what they needed was another fairly big hit to make up for their previous losses. Now it would seem that their hopes rest on how Home performs next year. :o

Dumb decision for Penguins to come out in late November while Big Hero 6 was tearing it up.

Would both have benefited from swapping release dates? :thinking: I know that many people were critical of Disney for going with early November, and with the benefit of hindsight now we know that they had nothing to worry about from PoM. This is merely speculation, but both studios seemed to be thinking that the franchise movie would take the normally more advantageous Thanksgiving weekend while the original movie would try to stay clear of it by opening three weeks earlier, giving it some time to make most of its money before getting walloped. I guess things didn't quite work out that way, although maybe Disney wanted to avoid the December competition in any case.

• Like 2

Of course HTTYD2's domestic run as a whole is disappointing, but it has actually developed some pretty good late legs.

It hung on for longer than I thought it would toward the end, but overall its OW multiplier is practically identical to those of Madagascar 3 and Brave, two other animated features that were released in June, and both of these opened much bigger. Man, HTTYD 2 just can't catch a break in the DOM market, nor can DWA in general lately (even when they deserve to).

• Like 1

Only a few days left to submit lists for BOT's Top 50 TV shows! Link in my signature. It's quick and easy, the lists can have as few as 10 shows.

Let's try to get an accurate representation of our collective tastes, I don't want to hear complaining from people who didn't vote ;)