grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

1 hour ago, Mikasa Ackerman said:

Mate, current Spielberg doesn't warrant that level of trust. He makes perfectly acceptable historical dramas, and serviceable family films, but this last great movie was released in 2001 (or 2002 I guess if you loved Minority Report). If this turns out to be really good, I'll accept that I was wrong leading up to it. But don't act like people were so crazy for doubting it. This isn't the 80s/90s Spielberg.

I will not stand for this slander against Bridge of Spies (or Lincoln for that matter). And The Post is still really good.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

So the embargo is lifting for this 3 weeks out but Tomb Raider is coming out THIS week and only has reviews from some Asian trades so far. 

WB going all in on RPO. 

TR isn't being the one screened at sxsw

I have always said that the story will translate much better on the screen than in a book. Plus there was some easy to make changes to streamline the novel. Best-case scenario this was gonna be a Starship Troopers situation, but I'm not gonna say no to a highly entertaining, somewhat-disposable adventure film.

Ok, this Letterboxd review (take that as you will, though for my end, one piece of wom > no wom to go for at all) gives me a sigh of relief about the movie from a story and structure standpoint (will put on spoilers as it gives away an exposition device of the film that some folks might not want to know about until they see it):

Spoiler

Really fun and suprisingly very funny. Ready Player One captures the Spielberg wonder, yet not without some stumbles. The first 15 minutes are almost all voice-over exposition which definitely could’ve been done another way, but once you get past that the film really finds its groove. The live-action bits are perhaps where the film shines the brightest. And the cast has tons of chemistry both in and out of the game.

For those worried about it simply being a nostalgia trip, what Spielberg said introducing the film is right, the story is front and center with the nostalgia and pop culture only on the periphery.

People already set on hating it probably won’t be swayed, but it’s actually pretty great.

That's my biggest demand for this movie coming out of the book, so yeah, good.

Some other Letterboxd wom continue the same waves: amazing visuals, fun experience, certainly heavy on the pop culture stuff. Additionally, some mention it as, on a con side, tropey and preachey.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Olivia Cooke can't catch a break. She dodged Rose bullet (was up for Rose in TLJ) and now will bomb in this. :(

i was going to comment, but I guess Winona fits better :P

:winomg:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jessie said:

He made two brilliant films in 2002, how can you forget 'Catch Me If You Can'? He's made two blockbusters since  (indy 5 and WOTW), both of which were very successful and the guy decided to take a break by making historical dramas which have all turned out to be pretty successful. How someone can say he can't be trusted is beyond me.

I feel the same way about Catch Me If You Can as I do about The Departed. They're very good movies by all time great directors, but they're in the second tier of their respective filmmakers' filmography. But even if we counted it, that's still 11 movies ago. As for the successes that you mention, I didn't mean box office.

1 hour ago, The Mad Panda said:

Last great Spielberg movie was either the Post or Bridge of Spies imo.  Before that, maybe Lincoln.

He’s been on such a downhill trend!

57 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

I will not stand for this slander against Bridge of Spies (or Lincoln for that matter). And The Post is still really good.

Feel free to call The Post or Bridge Of Spies "great". All that means is we'll have to use a different word to describe ET, Raiders, Jurassic Park, or Saving Private Ryan, because I'm sure as hell not putting them in the same category.

Look, some of you are replying as if I'm slagging him off, or saying he's average now. He's still way above average. But those trailers were straight trash, and the book itself is shallow nonsense. However good this turns out to be, the apprehension leading up to it was fairly justified.

• Like 1