grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Nerd culture is so 2000 and late. Like 2012-2013 it was the hot thing and everyone wanted to be a "nerd," but that shit has passed as so called nerdy franchises like superhero movies and Star Wars have gone full poppy mainstream and actual nerdom (as a cultural monolith) has been exposed as a racist, misogynistic pile of crap. There used to be an innocence and inherent likability in being "nerdy" that now seems forced at best and toxic at worst. Shit, there's a reason Odd Future and Kid Cudi have fallen out in music and guys like Migos have fallen back in - that nerd wave is done in the mainstream as the hot fad, and is back to being...kinda what it used to be.

Anyway, end rant. I don't care what the reviews say - reading the content, even the good ones make this sound like unappealing claptrap. I'll be skipping it, sorry Bergs. 

Thats enough internet for today child

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

There are so many definitions for nerds though. Aren't we all film nerds in here, for example? I'm sure loads of people upon seeing what we are up to in this forum would just call us a bunch of nerds. Don't you think so?

Worse. BOX OFFICE nerds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Nerd culture is so 2000 and late. Like 2012-2013 it was the hot thing and everyone wanted to be a "nerd," but that shit has passed as so called nerdy franchises like superhero movies and Star Wars have gone full poppy mainstream and actual nerdom (as a cultural monolith) has been exposed as a racist, misogynistic pile of crap. There used to be an innocence and inherent likability in being "nerdy" that now seems forced at best and toxic at worst. Shit, there's a reason Odd Future and Kid Cudi have fallen out in music and guys like Migos have fallen back in - that nerd wave is done in the mainstream as the hot fad, and is back to being...kinda what it used to be.

Anyway, end rant. I don't care what the reviews say - reading the content, even the good ones make this sound like unappealing claptrap. I'll be skipping it, sorry Bergs. 

Nerd culture is still popular look what dominates media. Mavel, Star Wars, and Game of Thrones. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Nerd culture is still popular look what dominates media. Mavel, Star Wars, and Game of Thrones. 

I said that in my post. Those things aren't even associated with being nerdy anymore, they're just mainstream, just like playing video games and posting online.

You guys seriously don't remember like five years ago or so when there was a massive cultural movement/conversation about how it was "cool" to be a nerd? It was like an entire major thing, at least in the U.S. That's what I mean, people. That is so done, not traditionally "nerdy" things themselves. I should have been more clear. That's what THIS MOVIE is about -it seems born out of that 2012 moment.

Edited by Cmasterclay

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I said that in my post. Those things aren't even associated with being nerdy anymore, they're just mainstream, just like playing video games and posting online.

You guys seriously don't remember like five years ago or so when there was a massive cultural movement/conversation about how it was "cool" to be a nerd? It was like an entire major thing, at least in the U.S. That's what I mean, people. That is so done, not traditionally "nerdy" things themselves. I should have been more clear. That's what THIS MOVIE is about -it seems born out of that 2012 moment.

This is pretty much a throwback to the 80s. Since Nostigical is so big with our generation. 

2 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

This is pretty much a throwback to the 80s. Since Nostigical is so big with our generation. 

It's a throwback to the 80s in terms of the references, but it's very much of a few years ago in terms of the theme and context.

39 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

That "Nerd culture" has been popular since the eighties. That's what nerdom gatekeepers don't get. That shit is mainstream, not a marginal sub-culture nor counter-culture, when Hollywood has been mining that demographics interests in the last 30 years to churn out popular blockbusters (and countless duds) and videogame is a billion dollars industry.

"I'm a nerd because I love SW, BTTF, Ghostbusters, Batman, MCU and play Zelda", Jesus Christ, get a grip...

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

Doesn't matter you're Stuckmannized by then

Hey, I know it's fun to make jokes of him and how seriously he takes himself, but I'll totally give Stuckmann this: he may be a fanboy, but he's still a fair and mostly unbiased movie critic. He articulates his reviews w/a lot more knowledge than the vast majority of YouTube critics out there (like a Jahns, a Campea, the Schmoes, etc.). And he's not afraid to criticize everything, even shit that he usually likes. I.e., he was one of the 1st guys to give Rogue One a meh review, while everyone else was shitting their pants over it. And for the record, his review of RPO wasn't even close to a rave because references: he said he liked it as a feat of technical blockbuster filmmaking from the Berg, but everything else around the movie (characters, motivations, etc.) all felt shallow.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

I’m surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but THR is reporting that the movie is expected to make around $45-50 million OW. Perhaps there’s still hope that this film could end up performing like Kong: Skull Island?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-preview-steven-spielbergs-ready-player-one-eyes-45m-50m-bow-1097905

Fun while it lasts but could’ve done more with the potential that it had. Third act runs longer than it should but it’s really well paced otherwise and the Berg brings a manic energy to it few other directors would.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Ok, this reviewer is one of the few on YouTube that I legitimately trust (and by trust, I mean "I usually agree w/him", albeit there are exceptions). He felt very much exactly the same about Ready Player One (the book) that I did, so listening to his review of the movie... it is most definitely a sigh of relief that he didn't think the film is nowhere near as gross, arrogant or self-indulgent as the book was imo, but rather closer to the exercise in pure fun blockbuster escapism that I'm sure the book was trying to be, but at the same time failed really hard:

Now, does this mean that I will automatically feel the same way about the film? I dunno. But it gives me hope.

From the parts I’ve seen of the book the movie definitely scrubs away many of the more questionable aspects. Like I don’t think the lead gets anywhere close to that paragraph that gets posted a lot here.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1