grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

1 minute ago, captainwondyful said:

They aren’t there because WB is incapable of corporate syngery. And the other one isn’t there because Of Disney. 

Actually the Disney one is there, Spielberg himself said so. I just didn't find it in my viewing of it. I looked it up online and now I know what and where it is, I just need to look for it whenever I watch it again.

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

For you people who's seen the movie:

Hide contents

Not sure if a spoiler tag is the right way to go but what the hell, did you guys see any Star Wars, Harry Potter, Doctor Who whatever stuff in there? It honestly feels like I missed pretty much every major franchise thing in the whole movie, even though I know most of them are in there.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, somebody85 said:

Hide contents

ESB poster outside of the theater and mention of the Falcon for SW. Not sure about HP or DW.

Spoiler

And apparently there are stormtroopers in one of the battles (probably the final one). Really pleasantly surprised they didn't shove the major franchises down our throats.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:
  Hide contents

And apparently there are stormtroopers in one of the battles (probably the final one). Really pleasantly surprised they didn't shove the major franchises down our throats.

Oh I wouldn't be surprised, there are so many avatars from different franchises at that point, nothing would shock me. That set piece is just like one giant explosion of pop culture.

Yeah they really didn't. That stuff is there but we don't like stop everytime it appears. It moves on really quickly.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Actually the Disney one is there, Spielberg himself said so. I just didn't find it in my viewing of it. I looked it up online and now I know what and where it is, I just need to look for it whenever I watch it again.

The only thing I saw was the fake IG, which made me laaaaaugh. 

3 hours ago, aabattery said:

WOM should be good. Dude next to me was losing his shit at the sequence @75Live and @baumer loved. Figured he was a big horror buff :lol:

I lost my shit three times in the movie. None more than that one though.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

For everyone complaining about the references I felt they weren’t in your face at all and wouldn’t have minded a few more noticeable ones. 

There's gotta be rights issues. Getting some of the bigger 80s IPs would be difficult. But they did well with what they did so.

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

There's gotta be rights issues. Getting some of the bigger 80s IPs would be difficult. But they did well with what they did so.

Is it quite WB heavy in terms of references or is quite evenly spread? I know The Iron Giant is a replacement for another IP from the book for example 

42 minutes ago, baumer said:

Oh I know. I was surprised some stuff  got the screen time they did. I’m planning on reading the book and am curious to see what all was changed to WB properties. 

50 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

For everyone complaining about the references I felt they weren’t in your face at all and wouldn’t have minded a few more noticeable ones. 

The whole point of the novel are the references. It’s a nostalgia fest by design. 

Guys you really have to watch the spoilers right now. There are so many references in the movie and when you mention any of them at all unless they were in the trailer You Are by definition posting spoilers and we cannot have that. I'm locking this thread for 15 minutes. Please watch the spoilers. If you think it's a spoiler it probably is. Please don't mention anything about what you see in the movie.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And keep in mind you can't put spoiler tags right now on the first weekend. Just don't post anything about the movie unless it's in the review section.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay so that was my bad parent Lee. I am getting confused with the rules at the site so I guess in this Ready Player One thread you can post spoilers as long as they are in spoiler tags. So continue on and please accept my apology.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

Saw it. Anybody who hates this film doesn't have a soul.

You're people who like this *do* have souls. 

Anyway I enjoyed this, feared Spielberg would trip with the pandering to the kids of today like when he did back in the early 90s with HOOK (cue Lost Boys playing on skateboards and basketball) but nah doesn't. Honestly it reminds me that when he's on his game, he's on my Mt. Rushmore of kid pandering alongside Walt Disney, Stan Lee, and Shigeru Miyamoto. I have my problems (some more that've arisen thinking back on it) but at times I'll be honest, I don't think I've had this much of a ball watching a Spielberg-directed quote "popcorn" movie since JURASSIC PARK. I could see this connecting with folks (especially kids) and having legs. 

Oddly (and this isn't a criticism or knock) it comes off as less of a Spielberg-directed joint and more the sort of Amblin picture he would've just produced back in the day and let a Dante or Zemeckis direct it. 

8 out of 10. Could go down a notch though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Guys you really have to watch the spoilers right now. There are so many references in the movie and when you mention any of them at all unless they were in the trailer You Are by definition posting spoilers and we cannot have that. I'm locking this thread for 15 minutes. Please watch the spoilers. If you think it's a spoiler it probably is. Please don't mention anything about what you see in the movie.

I noticed my post was editited. The reference I mentioned was in previews though so I thought it was fine to mention it. 

Spoiler