grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

4 minutes ago, Jessie said:

I agree. As a 28 year old who only watched the OT 12 or so years ago i always found TOD the worst. Indy 4 may have had the nuke scene but the kther main complaint of Aliens was actually not a problem at all for me. I never understood the complaint, cup of immortality, spirits of death and the removal of hearts were all good but Aliens was where we draw the line? 

Regardless The last Crusade is my fav, Sean Connery was a great edition

I don't really care about the aliens issue except that it wasn't done in a very interesting way. (I think there's also a fair argument to be made that the Indy series has always embraced the mystical and spiritual, but not science-fiction. But eh, mileage may vary there.)

21 minutes ago, HerediTele said:

Plenty to quibble about in terms of awkward and backward representation and characters for sure, and also for sheer nastiness in an ostensibly family-oriented movie, but the action sequences in TOD are second to none. 

Oh man, imagine if TOD was released now in this Tumblr/hot take era? It would dwarf the inevitable RPO thinkpieces. 

Never read the book.

This was basically Nostalgia: Pop Culture Nerd Fun, the movie. If you know any pop culture or even played video games (like me) you will probably geek out at this film. References everywhere.

The T-Rex from JP and a DeLorean for example popping up made me happy. There's also a scene involving

The Shining set that was absolutely fantastic.

Expect cameos anytime and references frequently.

However, how does the film itself hold up? The characters do feel somewhat genuine (despite the character drama being meh and characters themselves mostly being in the background) and the movie even has heart. The film is also surprisingly hilarious at times and pretty much never takes itself seriously. The action itself feels overwhelming usually (though I think this was deliberate) but its works. Performances were good overall, Mendelsohn in particular was excellent. The soundtrack is great, it has Bee Gees so its automatically a 10/10 for me. The real world needed more fleshing out IMO.

Its a visual feast even if I feel it lacks emotion. Enjoyed it overall. I think general audiences will geek out over it. 

• Like 15

Some people whose thoughts I’m looking forward to hearing about in regards to this film are the guys at Red Letter Media. Since they obviously wouldn’t give a crap about all the pop culture references in the film, it’d be interesting to see if they think the film holds up beyond all that. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, HerediTele said:

I don't really care about the aliens issue except that it wasn't done in a very interesting way. (I think there's also a fair argument to be made that the Indy series has always embraced the mystical and spiritual, but not science-fiction. But eh, mileage may vary there.)

Ive also only seen both once, with repeat viewings my opinion may change. 1 and 3 i seem to have seen multiple times

Edited by Jessie

18 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Never read the book.

This was basically Nostalgia: Pop Culture Nerd Fun, the movie. If you know any pop culture or even played video games (like me) you will probably geek out at this film. References everywhere.

Hide contents

The T-Rex from JP and a DeLorean for example popping up made me happy. There's also a scene involving

However, how does the film itself hold up? The characters do feel somewhat genuine (despite the character drama being meh and characters themselves mostly being in the background) and the movie even has heart. The film is also surprisingly hilarious at times and pretty much never takes itself seriously. The action itself feels overwhelming usually (though I think this was deliberate) but its works. Performances were good overall, Mendelsohn in particular was excellent. The soundtrack is great, it has Bee Gees so its automatically a 10/10 for me. The real world needed more fleshing out IMO.

Its a visual feast even if I feel it lacks emotion. Enjoyed it overall. I think general audiences will geek out over it. 

How is The Iron Giant? Also is Letitia Wright any good or is it a small role like she's mentioned in interviews. 

In terms of Spielberg blockbuster, I assume it's more BFG or WOTW compared to JP.

Edited by Jonwo

20 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Never read the book.

Hide contents

That's amazing news! Thank you @BoxOfficeZ

As someone who loved the book I really didn't think the reception(thus far) would be this good, I'm very pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2

Just now, Arlborn said:

That's amazing news! Thank you @BoxOfficeZ

I really didn't think the reception(thus far) would be this good, I'm very pleasantly surprised.

I suspect those didn't like the book probably aren't going to converted but I think it's going to be well received for audiences who just want a fun blockbuster. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

I suspect those didn't like the book probably aren't going to converted but I think it's going to be well received for audiences who just want a fun blockbuster. 

I'm nosediving in the opposite direction. :lol: Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, aabattery said:

Really need to get through the rest. AI in particular looks like it is way up my alley. 

AI is tremendous right up until the wack ending. So ends up just below top tier Berg for me

• Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

You're Old Man Tele, I'd be shocked if you liked the film! 

9 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

For your sake, I hope that's the case. 

I enjoyed the book when I read it... five years ago. But I'm realizing my tastes have changed since then.

• Like 1

Folks... Imma do it

Raiders

Minority Report

Saving Private Ryan

War of the Worlds

Jurassic Park

Schindler's List

Bridge of Spies

Jaws

AI

Lincoln

Temple of Doom

Catch Me If You Can

The Post

ET

Close Encounters

Empire of the Sun

Last Crusade

Crystal Skull

Color Purple

Munich

Sugarland Express

Hook

Amistad

BFG

War Horse

Always

Tintin

Terminal

Lost World

• Like 1
  • Astonished 3
  • Disbelief 1

13 minutes ago, HerediTele said:

I'm nosediving in the opposite direction. :lol: Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. 

12 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

You're Old Man Tele, I'd be shocked if you liked the film!

Tele to RPO:

Spoiler

The great underrated thing here is Ed Asner trying not to crack up at the coming joke and failing miserably. :rofl:

• Like 1