grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The ragging on the visionary thing is not funny. If it were ever funny it's certainly not funny anymore after how much it's been run into the ground. We get it, the visionary tag is stupid and almost always misapplied. 

Well, for the Berg, it applied,that s why I asked.

15 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

So is that person implying that black geeks don't exist? Because somebody should have freaking told me that because that's exactly what I am. It's interesting to find out that I'm not real.

No, they're ragging on white geeks who've had their various nerd-blisses for decades now.

16 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

So is that person implying that black geeks don't exist? Because somebody should have freaking told me that because that's exactly what I am. It's interesting to find out that I'm not real.

Not going to lie 15 years ago if someone asked me this question.  I’d have said no way, not cool enough for a black person to be into geeky things 

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I agree that it applies to Spielberg and Cameron, Nolan, Denis, Del Toro and a few others.

Honestly, Nolan and Del Torro haven’t earned it yet.  And if I take a step back from being a Villeneuve fanboy, neither has Denis either (but if Dune is grand, maybe so).

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

Folks... Imma do it

Raiders

Minority Report

Saving Private Ryan

War of the Worlds

Jurassic Park

Schindler's List

Bridge of Spies

Jaws

AI

Lincoln

Temple of Doom

Catch Me If You Can

The Post

ET

Close Encounters

Empire of the Sun

Last Crusade

Crystal Skull

Color Purple

Munich

Sugarland Express

Hook

Amistad

BFG

War Horse

Always

Tintin

Terminal

Lost World

Hell yes!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The idea that he's hopeful he'll see his mother again til the end is less depressing than him actually being allowed only a moment with her. Not sure how you got warm fuzzies out of that ending, it's even darker - he spent forever wishing only to be allowed a glimpse. But it's also much more removed from the actual movie that led up to it

Anyway we could argue this all day, just gonna agree to disagree

Isn't the actual idea even more depressing than that? That the boy isn't actually seeing his mother, but rather a recreation of her? And that he's only being allowed to so that the advanced AI can study him further like he's just some specimen? And that at the end they're shutting him down forever? I believe that's all why some people consider it one of the great and misunderstood twist endings of all time. It seems like the most sentimental thing Spielberg has ever done, but it's really the darkest.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DAR said:

Not going to lie 15 years ago if someone asked me this question.  I’d have said no way, not cool enough for a black person to be into geeky things 

What's sad is that 15 years ago, movie executives thought no one would see female or black superhero movies. In your face, executives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

War of the Worlds is great, besides the son subplot which I hated tbh.

The sounds of the alien tripods were terrifying.

AI I haven't seen it in over a decade, don't remember it much. 

WOTW falls apart at the end — more an issue with faithfully keeping the original twist but setting it in a modern context. But yeah, amazing sound design and some great thrilling sequences too. 

I guess I should rewatch MINORITY REPORT again one of these days. It felt like it almost worked but didn’t quite come together in the end. 

• Like 1

Fuck it might as well get yelled at endlessly for my list.  Top 10 

1) Jurassic Park

2) Jaws

3) Raiders of The Lost Ark

4) Schindler's List 

5) Temple of Doom

6) The Last Crusade

7) Saving Private Ryan

8) Catch Me if you Can

9) ET
10) The Lost World (here comes another 10 pages of people tagging me to bash this movie haha) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2