Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

Prometheus sucked for the "wrong" reasons (crappily written scientists, not enough development of the Space Jockeys, boring female birth metaphors) not for the "right" reasons the tardy reviewers mentioned (attempt at illustrating the broader universe, epic scope, actual development of Weyland). Ridley got lazy AGAIN and decided that adding more of the "wrong" would fix the series rather than focusing on the "right". Also the writers saw Jurassic World and thought rehashing Alien #1 would work again because of it.

Edited by drdungbeetle

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

I had problems with Prometheus, but that doesn't mean I wanted them to just do a polished slasher movie.

Problems are one thing, but I never understood why so many seemed to so abhorrently object to the idea of a sequel. Aside from the supporting character's stupidity, the other complaint was "well it didn't answer enough of its questions." Well then wait for the sequels originally intended! There was just too much backlash and I know that's why we have this film instead of Prometheus 2. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Problems are one thing, but I never understood why so many seemed to so abhorrently object to the idea of a sequel. Aside from the supporting character's stupidity, the other complaint was "well it didn't answer enough of its questions." Well then wait for the sequels originally intended! There was just too much backlash and I know that's why we have this film instead of Prometheus 2. 

Without giving spoilers, it doesn't look like this movie answers the questions and just goes for blood and gore and David fanwank.

Prometheus was half-baked on both fronts, imo. I'd rather it not have been a horror movie at all and just gone straight for the slightly eerie, cerebral atmosphere the whole way that it was setting up in the first half. Maybe I might've actually been interested in the questions (and answers?) it would pose.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Prometheus was half-baked on both fronts, imo. I'd rather it not have been a horror movie at all and just gone straight for the slightly eerie, cerebral atmosphere the whole way that it was setting up in the first half. Maybe I might've actually been interested in the questions (and answers?) it would pose.

Yeah, Prometheus was neither fish nor fowl, but it at least offered a possibility of a more interesting twist on the series. Covenant offers nuthin'.

So over the course of this weekend, I watched every film in the Alien franchise in preparation for this movie [You can see my recap here: https://rendyreviews.com/revisit/the-alien-franchise]. Though I know this is the direct sequel to Prometheus, this is still an official Alien movie. An Alien movie by director Ridley Scott? The man who bought us the original?

As Ridley Scott gets older and his direction skills advanced through the ages, so does his VFX team. The CG of the new types of aliens are effective to the film’s action violence. There’s so many new types of death the film establishes that is gloriously gory. At some times it may get laughably dumb how people die, but then it gets surprisingly creative.

(https://rendyreviews.com/movies//alien-covenant-review)

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

So reviews are fairly good yet people are acting like this is some kind of disaster. Lol

People are conviniently ignoring the positive reviews, only focusing on the ones that fit their narrative.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Elessar said:

People are conviniently ignoring the positive reviews, only focusing on the ones that fit their narrative.

The positive reviews don't really instill any confidence in this either. I'm reading the same things in the positive and negative reviews, it's just varying degrees of criticisms. The dude on the other page who gave it a positive review said things like "definitely like The Force Awakens in terms of repeating plot beats from the original" and "fresh-ish". I know where my tastes lie and I can read between the lines of a positive or negative review and make judgments for myself, and my judgment is that based on everything I've seen and read about this I don't think I'm going to like it, and I'm not gonna go to a theater and spend money to see it.

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

The positive reviews don't really instill any confidence in this either. I'm reading the same things in the positive and negative reviews, it's just varying degrees of criticisms. The dude on the other page who gave it a positive review said things like "definitely like The Force Awakens in terms of repeating plot beats from the original" and "fresh-ish". I know where my tastes lie and I can read between the lines of a positive or negative review and make judgments for myself, and my judgment is that based on everything I've seen and read about this I don't think I'm going to like it, and I'm not gonna go to a theater and spend money to see it.

You obviously care enough about this movie to write 5 full lines about why you won't see it :lol: 

So 664k USD OD in Aus and 80k USD OD in NZ. Make of those what you will.

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

You obviously care enough about this movie to write 5 full lines about why you won't see it :lol: 

Welllll I have lots of very important opinions that need to be heard:D

I think it's just the "Why do pay attention to reviews THINK FOR YOURSELF, SHEEPLE" thing that bothers me.

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

What does this mean? @DeeCee

I am not DeeCee but it's 69% of Logan's OD (which was 1.3M AUD).

If it follows that track it would get a weekend of 58M. So if I had to say anything from that, I would say that you can be confident in a 50M+ weekend. But I'm not the expert here so I could be way off base.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Welllll I have lots of very important opinions that need to be heard:D

I think it's just the "Why do pay attention to reviews THINK FOR YOURSELF, SHEEPLE" thing that bothers me.

I've seen a lot more movies this year so far than any other year. Critics are important and I still listen to them often, but if I'm even slightly interested in a movie, I'll try to see it in theaters. 

12 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I am not DeeCee but it's 69% of Logan's OD (which was 1.3M AUD).

If it follows that track it would get a weekend of 58M. So if I had to say anything from that, I would say that you can be confident in a 50M+ weekend. But I'm not the expert here so I could be way off base.

:ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod: 

If Covenant had been released in 1979 and the original Alien now, the latter would have gotten trashed for just doing the same or being just a simple "slasher in space", probably. ;) 

Edited by Elessar