Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

16 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

AUD899,000 on opening day in Australia. 

Kong OD of AUD701,000, OW AUD4.72m

Logan OD of AUD1.35m, OW AUD7.84m

This suggests an OW of around AUD5-5.5m

Prometheus opened with AUD6.77m

Or it could follow Split and end up with like 4M. :ph34r:

My math might be off there though. 

Saw this today. Eh, it was predictable. The moment I saw 

Spoiler

two Fassbenders, I knew exactly what was going to happen.

I think Scott should let this franchise go, or maybe give it to a different director. 6.5 / 10

Edited by kayumanggi

29 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Saw this today. Eh, it was predictable. The moment I saw 

Reveal hidden contents

I think Scott should let this franchise go, or maybe give it to a different director. 6.5 / 10

This needs someone like Villeneuve or afonso to make it something special.

So glad BR2 is being helmed by him but 200+ million budget.....god....it will look awesome and be awesome but dammit...such a huge boxoffice flop. Tron legacy  numbers at best..if lucky martian...but still not good enough for a 200M production budget + possibly 100-150M marketing budget.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

This will do $40M OW MAX and UNDER 100M Domestic. Mixed reaction to Prometheus+ mixed reaction to this = end of franchise for the next decade or so.

Fox should try and develop new R rated franchises.

This is opening to 50M+ if it follows Australia.

6 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

So glad BR2 is being helmed by him but 200+ million budget.....god....it will look awesome and be awesome but dammit...such a huge boxoffice flop. Tron legacy  numbers at best..if lucky martian...but still not good enough for a 200M production budget + possibly 100-150M marketing budget.

Where does those 200m+ budget come from exactly I have seen it mentionned a couple of time ?

The Martian did a giant 630m at the box office, it would certainly be more than enough for a 200m production.

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This is opening to 50M+ if it follows Australia.

Prometheus did more on OD than this did in Australia. That opened to exactly 50M in NA so...this should do 45-50 but gut says it will do 38-42. Won't be shocked if it goes lower.

39 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Prometheus did more on OD than this did in Australia. That opened to exactly 50M in NA so...this should do 45-50 but gut says it will do 38-42. Won't be shocked if it goes lower.

It could also go higher & it likely won't be a bomb anyway. Scott is usually good at keeping budgets down, hence why it only cost 110m.

Edited by Fancyarcher

I just watched Alien: Covenant.

Guys, I'm shocked. Now, they're releasing TV movies in cinemas? Full of plot holes, lack of development, it didn't even have scary scenes without using gore. I almost slept while watching it, since I didn't care to any of these characters. The only things saving this movie from a total disaster was some special effects and Fassbender's acting.

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Watched the original on the big screen earlier today (hadn't seen it in years). Came away even more amazed that they are still trying to explain shit from it 40 years later. 

it's great to see how it's gone from being a cool genre flick about a giant angry space bug to being all portentous and "THIS CREATURE IS THE CREATION OF THE STRUGGLE BETWEEN MAN AND GOD"

• Like 5

2 hours ago, alisson23 said:

I just watched Alien: Covenant.

Guys, I'm shocked. Now, they're releasing TV movies in cinemas? Full of plot holes, lack of development, it didn't even have scary scenes without using gore. I almost slept while watching it, since I didn't care to any of these characters. The only things saving this movie from a total disaster was some special effects and Fassbender's acting.

Ha it's funny how different films are for people.

I would've preferred the film if all of Fassbender's scenes were completely deleted. 

12 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Watched the original on the big screen earlier today (hadn't seen it in years). Came away even more amazed that they are still trying to explain shit from it 40 years later. 

I watched it too yesterday. One of the things that frustrated me the most about Prometheus was not silly scientists, but the fact that it zipped along at the pace of a Fast & Furious movie compared to Alien. Prometheus has none of the atmosphere and slowburn tension that made the original so great.

• Like 1

This was... fine? I'll probably be able to convince myself I like it more than I do in a few weeks because I love the franchise but I can't really think of anything to say about it.

Less frustrating than Prometheus but certainly less interesting too - they're about on par.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

This was... fine? I'll probably be able to convince myself I like it more than I do in a few weeks because I love the franchise but I can't really think of anything to say about it.

Less frustrating than Prometheus but certainly less interesting too - they're about on par.

How was the score? I hear a lot of people raving about it.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

How was the score? I hear a lot of people raving about it.

Half noise and half aping Goldsmith's original score - nothing to write home about.

Musically, Elliot Goldenthal's score for the third is still the best of the series.

• Like 2