Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

8 hours ago, sabrecmc said:

I love both Alien and Aliens.  Fewer things have horrified me (in a good way) more than Alien.  Aliens really just took the idea and went a totally different direction, which was very smart.  What really set them apart, for me, was that the characters felt so real, you could identify with them and care about them, unlike the cardboard, forgettable morons in the more recent films.  Both movies really hinted at this larger world with more stories out there.  I think part of my bitterness is that it could have been such an amazing franchise and then...wow, did they just muck it all up.  It is the what could have been that keeps bringing me back, even though I am inevitably disappointed.  

Alien is one of the very few horror movies that can make me jump. And there's no loud noises for those scenes. It just has an unsettling feeling about it and the characters are all really well written. Besides some shoddy effects involving the xenomorph (which are excusable for it's time and still mostly hold up) and a slow start, it's almost flawless.

9 hours ago, Barnack said:

Possible but the story is not what make Alien particularly good imo. The same exact story could have made a terrible movie in the hand of lesser craftman. It would be very easy to make a bad Alien remake.

And many already have....they just called it something different lol. No what makes Alien such a great film is the writing and the way it's shot.

3 hours ago, K1stpierre said:

Accidental??? RIDLEY WAS GENIOUS....... :ph34r: 

If anyone was a genius, it's Giger. 

Personally I thought the movie was amazing when it came to building tension, but the latter half of the movie didn't live up the terrific buildup.

Anyone who thinks Aliens is clearly better directed than Alien doesnt understand directing. Besides the point, I could care less which film people think is better both are A + movies  . However, if Alien didn't exist half the tension from Aliens first half would be completely missing. Thats why Aliens is a perfect sequel. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 8

36 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Anyone who thinks Aliens is clearly better directed than Alien doesnt understand directing. Besides the point, I could care less which film people think is better both are A + movies  . However, if Alien didn't exist half the tension from Aliens first half would be completely missing. Thats why Aliens is a perfect sequel. 

Pardon me, I thought you were talking about, direction ?

James-cameron-aliens.jpg

:shades::rock:

• Like 1

Give me Aliens by a nose.  I think it's the characters in Aliens.  I felt like I knew them better.  Hudson's comic relief was spot on time after time.   Ripley's scene in the ED where she find out about her daughter still kills me.  Both great  movies though.

• Like 2

• Community Manager

I've seen Alien 3: Special Edition and gotta say I rather liked it. The movie has it's flaws but it's pretty entertaining. I kinda want to see Alien Resurrection now to see why people hate it so much. :lol: I guess I should also check out Prometheus. :ph34r:

• Community Manager
3 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

I don't understand directing? Eh, your probably right.

• Like 1

People put alien on too much of a pedastal. That moment where that woman gets killed is dumb as fuck. She literally stands and stares for a minute before getting munched, didnt even try to avoid it. Now imagine a character from prometheus doing that, you lot would bitch so much about it

Aliens is better imo because it still manages to be intense despite a trained army of badasses being involved. Also the end was more plausible, ripley going back to save newt was far more convincing and intense than ripley going back to save an angry fucking cat. That cat was pure fucking evil

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, baumer said:

Hahaha. Good one.

I find the david story/creating of the aliens and the engineers involvment far more interesting than the first 2 alien movies.

Alien 1 and 2 have very simple plots which makes them more pure but i dont think they have better stories.

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1