Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

52 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Gonna guess the old man has no fucks left to give

He's just making the movie the way he wants

In the end both Prometheus and most likely AC will be critical and financial successes if not huge ones 

obviously Alien movies are hard to please everyone 

Saw this on BOM regarding how it's OWs compared to Prometheus in some of the markets it opened in:

Here's a look at the top performing markets and how this opening compares to Prometheus

• South Korea - $7.2m (+52.58% vs. PrometheusOpening)
  • United Kingdom - $6.4m (-39.85% vs. PrometheusOpening)
  • France - $4.53m (-38.41% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Australia - $3.09m (-79.40% vs. PrometheusOpening)
  • Mexico - $2.46m (-24.90% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Spain - $1.9m (-71.63% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Hong Kong - $1.76m (+17.24% vs. PrometheusOpening)
  • Brazil - $1.63m (-52.47% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Italy - $1.29m (-66.68% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  •  

13 hours ago, Firepower said:

Prometheus score is much better. Covenant's score is either rehash of Goldsmith's score, either nothing special, but with a few "not bad" tracks. But nevertheless it works good in the movie.

Prometheus's score was largely uninspiring. The best theme in that entire score was Life & that wasn't even composed by Streitenfeld. Then again I don't usually expect "great music" for a Scott film these days, since he tends to favor the RC sound most of all. 

Still looking forward to the film though.

Edited by Fancyarcher

2 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

Just saw that Kieron Gillen described it as "a true Prometheus sequel" on Twitter  

I'm quite surprised how divisive people have been on this, although I can understand why anyone would say that since the Prometheus stuff is the only thing worth of note.

In my opinion, Covenant is an Alien film first and foremost, the Prometheus bits are minimal and feel thrown in while at the same time are very detached from the rest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noah said:

So that drop reported by BOM wasn't correct,right?

The total reported by Numero is in local currency. BOM reported the total in USD, which is a 79% drop from the $6.7M Prometheus brought in. Exchange rates are noticeably worse than in 2012, so in AUD, Alien Covenant dropped about 40% from Prometheus.

Edited by Biggestgeekever
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, junkshop36 said:

Saw this on BOM regarding how it's OWs compared to Prometheus in some of the markets it opened in:

Here's a look at the top performing markets and how this opening compares to Prometheus

•  

So if the trends continue, it's going to do better in Asia, but worse elsewhere?

3 hours ago, Biggestgeekever said:

The total reported by Numero is in local currency. BOM reported the total in USD, which is a 79% drop from the $6.7M Prometheus brought in. Exchange rates are noticeably worse than in 2012, so in AUD, Alien Covenant dropped about 40% from Prometheus.

Thanks! So,they calculated these drops in USD. I don't understand why they're not in local currency. It'd make more sense.

53 minutes ago, Noah said:

Thanks! So,they calculated these drops in USD. I don't understand why they're not in local currency. It'd make more sense.

Exactly. Calculating those drops should be done in local currency otherwise they're a meaningless indicator of relative performance. 

On 13/05/2017 at 8:52 PM, Krissykins said:

Ha it's funny how different films are for people.

I would've preferred the film if all of Fassbender's scenes were completely deleted. 

Fassbender acted very well with a shit character IMO.

His other character was good, I guess.

Well, Fassbender's performance didn't make Alien be good imho. Sad.

10 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Prometheus's score was largely uninspiring. The best theme in that entire score was Life & that wasn't even composed by Streitenfeld. Then again I don't usually expect "great music" for a Scott film these days, since he tends to favor the RC sound most of all. 

Still looking forward to the film though.

What the hell are you talking about?! Prometheus score was great, dark, glorious and inspiring. And not only Life, but other themes too like Weyland.

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

What the hell are you talking about?! Prometheus score was great, dark, glorious and inspiring. And not only Life, but other themes too like Weyland.

It came off as mostly RC inspired music, with a few minutes of "goodness" too, to me. If you like that, that's fine. 

13 hours ago, junkshop36 said:

•  

You really need to factor in currency moves/or compare local currency changes if you want to try and extrapolate. While the numbers still aren't good, you have a 13% depreciation of the EUR, 26% depreciation of the Peso, a 35% depreciation of the Real and 17% depreciation of the Pound since Prometheus was released. So Europe is still down, Mexico is up a little, Brazil is down some, etc.

• Like 1