grim22

10 Cloverfield Lane | 3.11.2016 | Walking Dead TV Spot on Page 15 | Tickets on Sale Now!

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

@CharlesLandy: @DrewAtHitFix If it's 'Valencia' with a new title, then it's not Cloverfield 2. Saw a preview a few months ago, and it's big twisty fun.

I don't know...seems kinda fucked up to call it Cloverfield-something, release a trailer like that, then release a movie that's not connected to Cloverfield. 

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

@CharlesLandy: @DrewAtHitFix If it's 'Valencia' with a new title, then it's not Cloverfield 2. Saw a preview a few months ago, and it's big twisty fun.

I know Valencia has been having previews for quite some time, I had invites to a couple of them. The Cloverfield name for the title is pretty much a brand extension thing for sure. The movie itself will have nothing to do with Cloverfield.

They'll just say it's set in the same universe, not seeing the confusion

And they'll associate it with Cloverfield so it makes more money than a normal movie about John Goodman locked in a basement would

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Oh fuck off Drew. There is no chance they're calling it 10 Cloverfield Lane, with freaking emphasis on Cloverfield in the trailer and a heavy shaking just like the original teaser, then it's obviously heavily Cloverfield related. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, but I can't believe I would be. You'd be asking for people to riot in the theaters. Paramount would basically be sabotaging its own movie.

I think it's way more likely the Valencia test screening was intentionally designed to not seem Cloverfield related, to keep the surprise intact.

Edited by Biggestgeekever
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Oh fuck off Drew. There is no chance they're calling it 10 Cloverfield Lane, with freaking emphasis on Cloverfield in the trailer and a heavy shaking just like the original teaser, then it's obviously heavily Cloverfield related. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, but I can't believe I would be. You'd be asking for people to riot in the theaters. Paramount would basically be sabotaging its own movie.

I think it's way more likely the Valencia test screening was intentionally designed to not seem Cloverfield related, to keep the surprise intact.

That tweet was a reply to McWeeny, it wasn't something he stated. 

• Like 1

Also - if they're testing the movie for months without people knowing it's Cloverfield related, I'm not sure how much Cloverfield-related footage they could realistically be hiding. If it's a big sequel and they want to keep it secret it'd be easier to not test

Testing something that doesn't largely reflect the film is a waste of literally everyone's time

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I am aware, but he doubled down on Valencia != Cloverfield 2 with two other tweets after in relation to that. Should have clarified that in my comment.

According to Film School Rejects, even Abrams has said it's not a sequel. They're basically turning Cloverfield into an anthology series, maybe one that's very loosely connected within the same universe. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

According to Film School Rejects, even Abrams has said it's not a sequel. They're basically turning Cloverfield into an anthology series, maybe one that's very loosely connected within the same universe. 

Well it couldn't be a sequel in the traditional sense anyway since (spoilers for an 8 year old movie)

Spoiler

all the main characters in the first movie died.

What Abrams literally said was

The idea came up a long time ago during production. We wanted to make it a blood relative of Cloverfield. The idea was developed over time. We wanted to hold back the title for as long as possible.

What does blood relative mean? Not sure, but combined with the info that Winstead (@ http://collider.com/mary-elizabeth-winstead-faults-interview/) mentioned it sounds like it will be a post-apocalyptic film, which could be consistent with being in the wake of the first movie. My best guess is the third act will be very directly related to Cloverfield.

I am going to assume they just threw some Cloverfield stuff in the third act, or didn't screen the entire movie. Whether or not it's Cloverfield, I would assume there will be alot of special effects considering it's in IMAX. 

Also,  the Cloverfield poster had the tagline "Some thing has found us." This trailer ended with "Some thing is coming."

(noted from a user on another site)

I wonder what is coming? Aliens? Human mutants?

Edited by CaptainJackSparrow
  • Like 2

I like the trailer alot and will definitely see it. But this has a weird release date, sharing with 4 other wide releases (Brothers Grimsby, The Other Side of the Door, Coco, and The Young Messiah) Squished in between Zootopia and Allegiant and also has to contend with Superman Vs Batman, two weeks later. It doesn't have alot of breathing room. Although supposedly the budget was only 5 million dollars, and the film should easily open in  the mid-teens atleast. But that's a far cry from the first Cloverfield's stunning 40m OW in January '08. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chewy said:

Knew JJ only took the Star Wars gig so he could bring the mystery box back full force

Mystery box marketing is gonna come back in a major way

This whole TFA thing was just a distraction. Oh JJ, you beautiful bastard ! 

2 hours ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Then why associate it with Cloverfield if it has nothing to do with it??? This whole thing reeks of confusion..:wacko:

For money...

2 hours ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I am going to assume they just threw some Cloverfield stuff in the third act, or didn't screen the entire movie. Whether or not it's Cloverfield, I would assume there will be alot of special effects considering it's in IMAX. 

Yeah if it's all a bunker-movie, I can't see why it would be IMAX, I know they want more money but come on, they have to have something to justify an IMAX ticket.