John Marston

Thursday Numbers (Rth)

The time will come when 2014 will look like a pretty decent year.

Then the DOM theater industry is straight up fucked if that's the case. We'll all be confined to home movie watching by 2024. :sick: Or flying to China to watch our blockbusters the right way...

Edited by MovieMan89

^^^ Because it's so far and away the best of the trilogy it hurts.

I really don't understand the Wednesday move for this in the first place though. It was perfectly fine in its original Friday date. Especially since the first two were Friday openers. The trilogy wasn't like the LOTR movies with their Wed openings.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Well, the number is awful but expected given the huge previews. The weekend is gonna be the key. I'm expecting something like:

WED: 24.4

THU:  9.8

FRI:  14.7 (+50%)

SAT: 19.1 (+30%)

SUN: 16.2 (-15%)

50.0  3-day

84.2  5-day

I think 250m is not out of the question yet as competition looks softer than last year and the final factor could give it more repeat viewings.

Edited by picores

I was right on the money...

TTT dropped -37% on Thursday if we exclude midnights and ROTK -36%, pretty similar percentages. If BOFA follows suit it would do a $8.5m Thursday.   :o

Considering previews were already starting on Tuesday this time, it may take away some of the frontloadness for Wednesday but a Thursday around $10m wouldn't surprise me at all.

Let's hope Friday increases will be a lot better...

Yeah... let's hope for a good Friday increase...

I think friday increase will be better than ROTK. I think 50-60% could happen. I am finding it hard to believe it wont even gross 50M 3-day OW. I am thinking 16m friday and 52M 3-day and 86M 5-day. It should finish between 225-250m. Nothing great but close to DOS. On the other hand if it grosses sub 45m it will look at TASM2 level domestic which would be horrible for the franchise.

The signs were there right from the start that this would drop from DOS. I'm actually baffled that people are shocked

The odds for it dropping a bit from DOS, increasing a bit or doing the same were... well, the same. Could have gone either way. I believe not many are shocked if the former turns out to be the case, just disappointed (if one wants it to do well, that is).

Edited by Elessar

The odds for it dropping a bit from DOS, increasing a bit or doing the same were... well, the same. Could have gone either way. I believe not many are shocked if the former turns out to be the case, just disappointed (if one wants it to do well, that is).

There's very little chance of it passing DoS at this point. It would need an enormous Friday increase (80%+) to give it a chance. But it's almost guaranteed it won't do that.

I disagree, sequels haven't been magically increasing much lately, unless they are good.

Well, the number is awful but expected given the huge previews. The weekend is gonna be the key. I'm expecting something like:

WED: 24.4

THU:  9.8

FRI:  14.7 (+50%)

SAT: 19.1 (+30%)

SUN: 16.2 (-15%)

50.0  3-day

84.2  5-day

I think 250m is not out of the question yet as competition looks softer than last year and the final factor could give it more repeat viewings.

I think this looks like a reasonable prediction.

Edited by jb007