John Marston

Thursday Numbers (Rth)

I disagree, sequels haven't been magically increasing much lately, unless they are good.

There's nothing magical about it. And it has nothing to do with lately. People don't just go "okay, going forward we won't appreciate sequels as much any more". Every movie is its own case. There have been sequels increasing and sequels decreasing. Being good is an important factor but that is not for you to decide. Going by user ratings on sites like RT, IMDB and the likes, there's no indication that Hobbit is not liked.

• Like 1

Its Monday number will tell us where this going to land, it will be the first day we can actually compare to the previous Hobbits fairly

Actualy, no, since BOFA came out a week later. BOFA's first midweekdays will be more inflated since many more are off school / work.

There's nothing magical about it. And it has nothing to do with lately. People don't just go "okay, going forward we won't appreciate sequels as much any more". Every movie is its own case. There have been sequels increasing and sequels decreasing. Being good is an important factor but that is not for you to decide. Going by user ratings on sites like RT, IMDB and the likes, there's no indication that Hobbit is not liked.

Well seeing as the Hobbit movies are on a decline from the first movie, its safe to say the WOM wasn't amazing. And no its not for me to decide but I've been right most of the time so I must know something you don't ;)

And box office performance usually shows more about a movies reception than RT, IMDB or likes on our threads lmao.

Edited by jessie

Indeed very weak number..and now might wrap up under DOS which is poor for a final...but its not all so shocking. Hobbit isn't on the same level as of LOTR. Poor decision of splitting this into three movies made the quality go down even further..I have yet to watch the movie to make my own judgement but this have received even poor reviews than the first two which doesn't makes things bright for its wom or legs.

The drop is exagerated by the fact the film opened at 7pm on a Tuesday. I'm no expert, but on a weekday, I'd imagine after 7pm would perhaps hold a bulk of business anyway, with people returning from work then going to the cinema. So Tuesday should almost count as a proper days business, making the Tues/Wed drop not seem as big. Hard to compare though. All the other LOTR/HObbit films bar DoS opened at midnight. Saying that, looks all about the overseas market for Hobbit.

Like mentioned before, the lack of Frozen & no massively threatening openers over Christmas might give this film better legs over the holidays. Maybe.

Edited by MonstersandRoy
  • Like 2

The drop is exagerated by the fact the film opened at 7pm on a Tuesday. I'm no expert, but on a weekday, I'd imagine after 7pm would perhaps hold a bulk of business anyway, with people returning from work then going to the cinema. So Tuesday should almost count as a proper days business, making the Tues/Wed drop not seem as big. Hard to compare though. All the other LOTR/HObbit films bar DoS opened at midnight. Saying that, looks all about the overseas market for Hobbit.

Like mentioned before, the lack of Frozen & no massively threatening openers over Christmas might give this film better legs over the holidays. Maybe.

Indeed, considering not much other major movies until Feb.  The final Hobbit could do well.

I don't think the drop is that exaggerated. We have been having films open at 7/8PM ever since Aurora happen. Nothing new here.

To be frank, the Hobbit movies look amazing but the plotting & story are not quite there. Compare Frodo's dramatic soul-crushing journey  in the original Trilogy to Bilbo's bumbling happy-go-luckiness. The audience is not that easily impressed anymore.