Blankments

WKND Est. - Hobbit 56M, NATM 17M, Annie 16M, Exodus 8M, Mockingjay 7M, John Wick 115K, Interview 0M

883k for BH6 as BOM is saying. Damn it was brutally hit by Annie and NATM3 after its terrific weekday holds.

Not that they are doing so great, themselves. That's still 28% over Wreck-It Ralph on day #43, and ahead of its initial 12% lead. That said, yes I had hoped for better, too, but for these days it's doing rather well and will be (already is, by most standards) a successful major animated release.

On the other hand, it's now ahead of POM, which was hit even harder.

Now that's embarrassing (for DreamWorks Animation). :blush:POM had been doing pretty well this week, too.

Fair points.  But I don't see how a 3-4 inch smartphone screen is anything like the experience of watching a movie on a 12 foot tall screen in a theater. Not really worried about the tiny screens.  A bigger problem might be the 40-50 inch flat screen TVs in people's homes nowadays.  They can just wait until they see it at home on their own big screen.  12 years ago the typical TV in a person's home was a 22 inch with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Good point, but it depends on the individual, and I think that both are factors that take away from the theatrical box office.

Personally, I don't watch movies on small screens, but being a home theater guy, I can tell you that while going to the theater and watching movies with a bunch of other people is still a unique and worthwhile experience, over time increasingly I've opted to wait for movies to be released on video (so that I can rent them for cheap). Higher ticket prices and shorter wait times for video releases are additional factors, I have to admit. I really don't think that it's a good idea in the long run to sacrifice the box office for video sales that are dying in any case, and I'm not convinced that short theatrical release windows increase video sales anyway.

Pretty shit numbers

Welcome to the new normal? :ph34r:

• Like 1

Surely it would be better if it didn't seeing as GOTG is much better and it would be nice for a sequel not to finish the year on top.

GoTG has a few great moments and is mostly enjoyable. But it's fluff.

The stick up their butt joke, and Groot protecting the members is what I'll remember most.

MJ1, for all its faults, has something meaningful to say and isn't pretentious. I'd much rather MJ1 win the year.

• Like 3

I hope GOTG stays number one simply because no one was expecting it

I have a mate that's been telling me it will be the biggest movie of the year ever since it was announced. The kid doesn't even follow box office but fair play, he guessed better than all of us

• Like 1

GoTG has a few great moments and is mostly enjoyable. But it's fluff.

The stick up their butt joke, and Groot protecting the members is what I'll remember most.

MJ1, for all its faults, has something meaningful to say and isn't pretentious. I'd much rather MJ1 win the year.

But MJ1 is the very example of Hollywood greed, splitting the final book into 2 diminishing the quality just to earn extra dollars. GOTG may not have had anything meaningful to say but it was a lot of fun and entertainment is what cinema is made for after all, we don't go to learn something, most of us are smart enough to know morals without movies teaching them to us.

I own shares in lionsgate and even id rather GOTG win the year lol

• Like 5

But MJ1 is the very example of Hollywood greed, splitting the final book into 2 diminishing the quality just to earn extra dollars. GOTG may not have had anything meaningful to say but it was a lot of fun and entertainment is what cinema is made for after all, we don't go to learn something, most of us are smart enough to know morals without movies teaching them to us.

I own shares in lionsgate and even id rather GOTG win the year lol

Diminishing the quality? Speak for yourself. So it didn't have as much action as the first two. Big whoop. I loved the movie and judging by its legs so far, seems most people agree with my view. If it was diminished quality then it would've dropped off the face of earth already. The only thing wrong with MJ1 was how it was marketed. If marketed better we could've easily seen a quadrilogy that increased in gross with each film. The whole "diminished quality" has no standing here since the only bad number MJ1 put up was OW, which is the marketings job to create.

Also we all like to enjoy cinema, turn our brains off and have fun, but there's nothing wrong with films teaching us lessons and wanting to have your mind on while watching a movie either.

Diminishing the quality? Speak for yourself. So it didn't have as much action as the first two. Big whoop. I loved the movie and judging by its legs so far, seems most people agree with my view. If it was diminished quality then it would've dropped off the face of earth already. The only thing wrong with MJ1 was how it was marketed. If marketed better we could've easily seen a quadrilogy that increased in gross with each film. The whole "diminished quality" has no standing here since the only bad number MJ1 put up was OW, which is the marketings job to create.

Also we all like to enjoy cinema, turn our brains off and have fun, but there's nothing wrong with films teaching us lessons and wanting to have your mind on while watching a movie either.

Mockingjay likely is holding well because all the releases until The Hobbit have flopped

• Like 2

GOTG is entertaining and all, but the internets overrate it big time. One of the worst Marvel villains (and that's saying something) and yet another MacGuffin. Still, all four heroes are funny and engaging in their own way. 

Mockingjay was much better. Maybe there's not much action, but it was never boring. It was about the politics behind a revolution. For a political geek like me, it was fascinating. 

• Like 4