Blankments

WKND Est. - Hobbit 56M, NATM 17M, Annie 16M, Exodus 8M, Mockingjay 7M, John Wick 115K, Interview 0M

Or maybe the bo slump will continue because the young generation is less and less interested by the theater experience.

They have screens everywhere, smartphones, tablets, tvs and they know they have access to movies for free on the Internet just a few months after their releases. Too many competitive screens, not enough time. People will be more and more addict and dependant on their smartphones. Just look in the streets it s crazy, people don't talk to other people people, they are doing something with their smartphones ALL the time.

2015 is gonna be a very revealing, pivotal year for the US BO.

I don't think this is so cut and dry. China has smart phones and piracy is even more prevalent there but the box office there is going completely nuts.

• Like 3

S2Z3DKx.gif

Ridley Scott s career.

I think the reason he held up for the last decade or so was that each film had the idea of "Oh, this will resurrect his career!" At least Allen got a decent hit in Midnight in Paris and one later with Blue Jasmine. Scott hasn't even had one good hit since Black Hawk Down.

I think the reason he held up for the last decade or so was that each film had the idea of "Oh, this will resurrect his career!" At least Allen got a decent hit in Midnight in Paris and one later with Blue Jasmine. Scott hasn't even had one good hit since Black Hawk Down.

American Gangster, Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut, and Matchstick Men were well received

• Like 1

Anyone know how PK is doing? I went to buy walk up tickets and the show was sold out and plenty of disappointed Indians were heading back. First time I was turned back due to a movie being sold out for a Bollywood release. Guessing 2.5M weekend may happen.

Looks like Obama agrees, saying that Sony had made a mistake. The US government will not tolerate anybody else taking away the freedom of Americans--the latter is their job.

I don't think this is so cut and dry. China has smart phones and piracy is even more prevalent there but the box office there is going completely nuts.

You can't compare a developing movie market to a mature one. If China's market had developed in lockstep with North America's, then they would be behaving more similarly now, but instead its rapid growth is dominating all other factors.

• Like 2

Anyone know how PK is doing? I went to buy walk up tickets and the show was sold out and plenty of disappointed Indians were heading back. First time I was turned back due to a movie being sold out for a Bollywood release. Guessing 2.5M weekend may happen.

What movie is PK?
  • Like 1

American Gangster, Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut, and Matchstick Men were well received

I think you missed the point of what Spaghetti was saying.

Kingdom of Heaven and Matchstick Men were either bombs or disappointments. American Gangster has been the only Ridley Scott since 2001 that has performed above average at the box office.

What movie is PK?

One of the most anticiapted, if not the most anticipated Bollywood movie this year, starring Aamir Khan, one of the biggest Bollywood stars. It opened in Indonesia too on Friday, and the show I went to was 95% full. That's very rare for a Bollywood movie.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 1

One of the most anticiapted, if not the most anticipated Bollywood movie this year, starring Aamir Khan, one of the biggest Bollywood stars. It opened in Indonesia too on Friday, and the show I went to was 95% full. That's very rare for a Bollywood movie.

So it's on track to do big box office? Expectations are, I hear, through the roof on this one...so, it better deliver.

I saw the trailer. Safe to say I said...huh?

So it's on track to do big box office? Expectations are, I hear, through the roof on this one...so, it better deliver.

I saw the trailer. Safe to say I said...huh?

It is being advertised by revealing nothing about the movie or the plot. But everyone who watched it so far in my friends group have loved it.

Basically the advertising is just "Come watch the new movie by the director of the Munnabhai series and 3 Idiots and the new movie starring Aamir Khan". And it seems to have worked, luckily the movie seems to be good as well.

You can't compare a developing movie market to a mature one. If China's market had developed in lockstep with North America's, then they would be behaving more similarly now, but instead its rapid growth is dominating all other factors.

Ok but what is the actual difference ? People in China have more spare cash this year than they had last year so they are spending accordingly. I think at its heart the reasons are simple - people in US either don't have the spare cash or they don't want to spend it on movies. Piracy is an easy scapegoat. It is definitely a factor but hardly the main reason.

• Like 1