Blankments

WKND Est. - Hobbit 56M, NATM 17M, Annie 16M, Exodus 8M, Mockingjay 7M, John Wick 115K, Interview 0M

I think it's because John Huston had some hallucination that he was the new Vincent Minelli.

The only great American film musicals in the last three decades have been animated. Other than that only handful are even good.

Sad since this used to be a genre at which Hollywood once excelled.

Regardless of your opinion, Mamma Mia, Hairspray, High School Musical, Enchanted, Les Miserables, Dream Girls and The Muppets made a big dent in the box office when they came out, which means the GA thought they were good films. In fact I'd argue the past decade has reignited the musical genre from the depths of floppage and back into the mainstream.

• Like 6

So the screens that were going to the Interview, does Sony have the first option of additional screens for Annie.  Or could Disney add an extra showing for Into the Woods.

Big Eyes is now a wide Christmas Day release, so I imagine that will be in the auditoriums where The Interview would've played.

Regardless of your opinion, Mamma Mia, Hairspray, High School Musical, Enchanted, Les Miserables, Dream Girls and The Muppets made a big dent in the box office when they came out, which means the GA thought they were good films. In fact I'd argue the past decade has reignited the musical genre from the depths of floppage and back into the mainstream.

I wouldn't include Enchanted (sorta parody of animated Disney princesses) or The Muppets (musical numbers have always been merely a tradition with them) with any of the aforementioned musicals. All of those films (minus High School Musical) are "true" musicals since they were based on Broadway shows.

Because Annie doesn't make sense in modern day. Everything about it is symbolic of the Great Depression. When you put it in 2014, it loses all those themes. There are certain classic plays and books that you can do in modern day and have them make sense. Like Emma being made into Clueless. But not when the whole point of it to represent a certain time period. Like Gone With The Wind wouldn't make sense in 2014 either.

Or maybe youre just overanalyzing.

Annie looks like an epic turd. At least Seventh Son looks like stupid fun with cool special effects.

You still didnt answer my question. I asked how do Annie look like a turd...you said "Annie looks like a turd."

Whatever yall.

You still didnt answer my question. I asked how do Annie look like a turd...you said "Annie looks like a turd."

Whatever yall.

The girl playing Annie comes off as super annoying. I'm not a fan of Jamie Foxx in general. And Cameron Diaz's over-acting in the trailers is off-the-charts.

• Like 2

Variety is reporting that the Hobbit took in $14-15 million Friday and will have around an $80 million 5-day.

Also reporting $23-$26 million for NATM3 and around $20+ million for Annie.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/hobbit-finale-heading-for-80-million-in-first-five-days-in-u-s-1201383739/

Edited by Frozen

Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd was a bad-ass musical.  Still not sure why it "only" made 50 million at the domestic box office.  Maybe the "R" rating hurt it?

Horror elements turned off musical lovers and musical elements turned off horror lovers.

• Like 3

Variety is reporting that the Hobbit took in $14-15 million Friday and will have around an $80 million 5-day.

Also reporting $23-$26 million for NATM3 and around $20+ million for Annie.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/hobbit-finale-heading-for-80-million-in-first-five-days-in-u-s-1201383739/

Yikes, that would be a lower weekend than FOTR. Pretty much expected for NATM3, decent for Annie. 

• Like 1

Yikes, that would be a lower weekend than FOTR. Pretty much expected for NATM3, decent for Annie. 

I looked at BOM and that would give it better %s each day this weekend than all three LOTR movies. I don't understand why people keep saying it's bad here. Almost every single article I've read these past few days seems to think the movie is doing is great.

• Like 2