John Marston

Friday, Dec. 26 Box Office: Hobbit 15.6, Unbroken 12.3, ITW 12.2, NATM 7.4 (full BOM weekend #s on p14)

"Annie” was up 16 percent and took in $6.1 million Friday, and should finish at around $22 million."

YAY!!! Holiday legs might still make this make a profit. I must be the only person here who loved this film, but it's cool! I cannot wait to see it again today!!!! :)

• Like 2

I'm honestly at the point where I'd be surprised if Burton ever again makes a movie I'll actually want to see.

I guess if he sticks with low budget fare rather than dross like Chocolate Factory and Alice there's still a chance.

Well that's all well and good but that doesn't change that the Ridley Scott comparison was rather bizarre. I mean Sweeney Todd was seven years ago and is still the best reviewed modern musical, Frankenweenie was the best reviewed animated movie of 2012 and Alice made more money than anything Scott has made. Scott's only making big movies these days when Burton's last two have been really small, his latest being his smallest ever.

I know I'm fanboying but I do get annoyed with people putting him down all the time. I mean people can hate on him till the cows come home but he needs to get more dues in that most Burton movies are actually pretty well received.

• Like 5

Really just terrific numbers for Hobbit, Unbroken, and Woods. I know Unbroken has really shocked a lot of people but ITW success can't go unnoticed either. This could have easily made about half of what it's going to make, given the theater count. Musicals are always a tough sell. Still confused why Disney didnt put this is 3500 theaters, it would have rivaled hobbit for first place over the weekend.

• Like 2

How so? It still needs like 33 million. Thats long ways to go.

Seriously? It'll be up towards $310 after this weekend, then we have another holiday week/weekend next week, so it'll be at LEAST at $320 after next weekend. Another $13m (will probably need less) is a given.

• Like 1

Really just terrific numbers for Hobbit, Unbroken, and Woods. I know Unbroken has really shocked a lot of people but ITW success can't go unnoticed either. This could have easily made about half of what it's going to make, given the theater count. Musicals are always a tough sell. Still confused why Disney didnt put this is 3500 theaters, it would have rivaled hobbit for first place over the weekend.

Because Sondheim's music probably made executives have second thoughts. Again, Sondheim's music is not the kind of peppy, zippy, infectious pop that audiences are used to thanks to endless animated Disney musicals. Even Les Miz, which has a very heavy source material, has songs that are more earwormy than anything from Sondheim (as a solo composer).

• Like 1