John Marston

Friday, Dec. 26 Box Office: Hobbit 15.6, Unbroken 12.3, ITW 12.2, NATM 7.4 (full BOM weekend #s on p14)

The thing about MJ1 is that, the one thing it for sure does well no matter what you think of the entire movie, is set up Part 2 perfectly. I can't see the people that have seen the first 3 skipping this one (especially after seeing the trailers it should have), and those who skipped MJ1 in theaters will probably end up seeing it at home before MJ2 is out.

It may not beat CF, but I think 400 is quite doable. DH2 increased almost $90mil from DH1. It's certainly not impossible. PLUS, if it kicks as much ass as it should (and they fix a certain gripe), the WOM should be wild.

DH2 added 3D

• Like 1

Lionsgate should do better job marketing MJ2, they slacked with MJ1

Yup. They need to get the casual moviegoers back. They lost some of those on MJ1. Their campaign needs to say THIS IS THE END OF HUNGER GAMES, THE END OF KATNISS, THE END OF THIS FRANCHISE YOU'VE BEEN HEARING ABOUT FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS AKA THE FRANCHISE OF THE DECADE, DON'T YOU WANNA COME SEE THAT BITCH WHOSE NUDES LEAKED ALL OVER THE NET AND SEE HOW IT ALL ENDS????? 

• Like 2

I think the MJ1 marketing was fine. There just was the whole "Part 1" thing and, as has been mentioned, most of the stuff that draws in the casuals is in Part 2. Kinda hard to overcome that no matter what.

Yeah, I mean you cannot show big money shots scenes in your marketing campaign and in your trailers that aren t in the film.

MJ1 was what it was, a bleak, claustrophobic political film about war propaganda and the birth of the mockingjay as a symbol of the revolution, it was always gonna be a tough sell no matter how good your marketing team was.

As I already said the fourth film has actually "games" which is actually

a full blown war and the take down of the capitol.

With MJ2, the marketing team will have much much more things to work with, bigger scope of the film (money shots, even more drama for the Mockingjay !!!) and of course the  end of the line thing.

Will it be  enough to come back to the first two episodes' heights dom remain to be seen ...

Anyway, it wil be Katniss' farewell, I am already preparing some tissues.

Edited by The Futurist

That a film like MJ Part 1 would get to near $340 million in the US without Imax or 3d is remarkable.

Perhaps you missed the news. The first 2 HG movies hit 400M!

Will it be  enough to come back to the first two episodes' heights dom remain to be seen ...

I think it needs to add 3D to hit 400M again.

Competition next November looks to be a bit tougher than this past November.

• Like 1

Perhaps you missed the news. The first 2 HG movies hit 400M!

I think it needs to add 3D to hit 400M again.

Competition next November looks to be a bit tougher than this past November.

The first 2 HG movies weren't half of one large film and had actual Hunger Games in them.

So, Battle of Five Armies came out on top yesterday? Wow, I didn't see that coming. I went to see it yesterday, and while the showing was sold out, it was in a smaller theater. Unbroken now, had huge lines going out the door of the theater complex and had the 3 biggest screens and they were all sold out. I was so sure that one would have been number one. Big Eyes was also getting a pretty nice crowd.

• Like 2

So, Battle of Five Armies came out on top yesterday? Wow, I didn't see that coming. I went to see it yesterday, and while the showing was sold out, it was in a smaller theater. Unbroken now, had huge lines going out the door of the theater complex and had the 3 biggest screens and they were all sold out. I was so sure that one would have been number one. Big Eyes was also getting a pretty nice crowd.

Yeah, its the strangest thing.  Its like after a month or more of just not feeling like seeing anything, *everyone* suddenly decided to go see a couple movies over the weekend. The 1 pm showings were decently crowded here (Into the Woods was about half full or a little less, while Imitation Game was pretty crowded) but there were *huge* lines to get into everything when we left.

The thing about MJ1 is that, the one thing it for sure does well no matter what you think of the entire movie, is set up Part 2 perfectly. I can't see the people that have seen the first 3 skipping this one (especially after seeing the trailers it should have), and those who skipped MJ1 in theaters will probably end up seeing it at home before MJ2 is out.

It may not beat CF, but I think 400 is quite doable. DH2 increased almost $90mil from DH1. It's certainly not impossible. PLUS, if it kicks as much ass as it should (and they fix a certain gripe), the WOM should be wild.

Which certain gripe?