John Marston

Friday, Dec. 26 Box Office: Hobbit 15.6, Unbroken 12.3, ITW 12.2, NATM 7.4 (full BOM weekend #s on p14)

That a film like MJ Part 1 would get to near $340 million in the US without Imax or 3d is remarkable. The last book is by far the weakest in the series and Lionsgate split it into two parts, The brilliant part of it is that they did it in such a way that all the action occurs in Part 2. (The assault on District 2; the assault on the Capital where the HGs is recreated, the climax of the film). 

I really hope MJ2 will have a nice rebound.

I want Katniss ' farewell to be glorious even if it won't be able to touch the bid daddies of 2015.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

Sitting down to watch Into The Woods with family. 3rd movie of the day after "The Interview" on VOD and Imitation Game with friends.

Imitation Game is by far the busiest in this theater, way too many sellouts.

Meryl bringing in the older demo, plenty of seniors in this showing.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 6

Mrs Wrath saw Imitation Game with friends while I was taking the kids to see Into the Woods.  Imitation Game was packed while Into the Woods was about half full.  We both ended up really enjoying our movies, me more than I expected to.

• Like 1

That a film like MJ Part 1 would get to near $340 million in the US without Imax or 3d is remarkable. The last book is by far the weakest in the series and Lionsgate split it into two parts, The brilliant part of it is that they did it in such a

Spoilers.

If you think about it, MJ1 cost probably a lot less than MJ2 given the difference in scope of events even if it was all shot at once.

They tried to sell MJ1 as an epic war film which it wasn't.

This time, there are "Games" and shit is going down big time.

Edit : I think my descriptions are not spoilery about MJ2.

Edited by The Futurist

Adim I'm probably seeing Unbroken on tuesday. aka my goddamn birthday. you better be right about this fucking thing.

PLEASE keep your expectations low.

I'm never calling it a perfect film.

It drags in the last act.

But overall I found it a noble effort and you can find something in it. Solid B film.

• Like 2

I think CF is the franchise peak in box office but MJ2 will increase from MJ1 and who knows maybe it can come near 400M again

Recovering from a 90-100m drop is hard by any standard but 400m seems doable with combined biggest film of the saga and last film syndrome.

The thing about MJ1 is that, the one thing it for sure does well no matter what you think of the entire movie, is set up Part 2 perfectly. I can't see the people that have seen the first 3 skipping this one (especially after seeing the trailers it should have), and those who skipped MJ1 in theaters will probably end up seeing it at home before MJ2 is out.

It may not beat CF, but I think 400 is quite doable. DH2 increased almost $90mil from DH1. It's certainly not impossible. PLUS, if it kicks as much ass as it should (and they fix a certain gripe), the WOM should be wild.

Adim I'm probably seeing Unbroken on tuesday. aka my goddamn birthday. you better be right about this fucking thing.

It's good. Jolie wallows a bit too much on his time as a POW and there isn't enough time developing Zamperini as a person prior to the ditching in the ocean or for a proper epilogue denouement.

• Like 1

The thing about MJ1 is that, the one thing it for sure does well no matter what you think of the entire movie, is set up Part 2 perfectly. I can't see the people that have seen the first 3 skipping this one (especially after seeing the trailers it should have), and those who skipped MJ1 in theaters will probably end up seeing it at home before MJ2 is out.

It may not beat CF, but I think 400 is quite doable. DH2 increased almost $90mil from DH1. It's certainly not impossible. PLUS, if it kicks as much ass as it should (and they fix a certain gripe), the WOM should be wild.

DH2 added 3D

• Like 1