CoolioD1

87TH ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY DISCUSSION THREAD AAAHHH! | Discuss It Live Here

Oscar Ratings Fall Double Digits From 2014

http://deadline.com/2015/02/oscar-ratings-2015-academy-awards-show-abc-1201379351/

Bring back Ellen Degeneres.

I'm not surprised because when the Academy's opinion differs that much from the majority opinion, it doesn't interest people. Unfortunately, the Academy will draw the wrong conclusion from this. They won't change the types of films that they nominate. Because Hollywood truly believes that people are stupid and will believe exactly what they are told. And Hollywood believes that their opinions on movies are superior to anyone else's.

Instead, Hollywood will change the host and try to make other changes to the show to bring in the ratings. Because despite what people will have you believe, this show is all about ratings. It's not the Baseball Hall of Fame, where it really is all about honoring the best players. The Oscars are all about the ratings.

• Like 3

I'm not surprised because when the Academy's opinion differs that much from the majority opinion, it doesn't interest people. Unfortunately, the Academy will draw the wrong conclusion from this. They won't change the types of films that they nominate. Because Hollywood truly believes that people are stupid and will believe exactly what they are told. And Hollywood believes that their opinions on movies are superior to anyone else's.

Instead, Hollywood will change the host and try to make other changes to the show to bring in the ratings. Because despite what people will have you believe, this show is all about ratings. It's not the Baseball Hall of Fame, where it really is all about honoring the best players. The Oscars are all about the ratings.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

He cried because all those actors are getting rewarded for great work and all he had last year was that JACK RYAN movie.

What? You are forgetting his other fantastic works in Horrible Bosses 2 and Into the Woods  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Apes had the best visual effects by far this year however I can understand the win for Interstellar. It created the most scientific depiction of a wormhole we've seen and made breakthroughs in doing so. Apes just did what a lot of movies have done before it, only it looked better this time.

Yeah, I get it. I guess I was still disappointed Apes lost the first time around, and hoping the Academy would recognize it this time.

I'm not surprised because when the Academy's opinion differs that much from the majority opinion, it doesn't interest people. Unfortunately, the Academy will draw the wrong conclusion from this. They won't change the types of films that they nominate. Because Hollywood truly believes that people are stupid and will believe exactly what they are told. And Hollywood believes that their opinions on movies are superior to anyone else's.

So the Academy should be forced to nominate the highest-grossing movies of the year? I mean, yeah, it'd be nice to nominate a tentpole or two, but the Oscars aren't a popularity contest. Get used to it.

What should they have actually nominated though? I enjoyed, say, Winter Soldier enough but it's not like I think it deserved a BP nom. Hell, after the good but not great reviews it got even the gigantically popular American Sniper was probably lucky to get in there.

Edited by Hatebox

The Oscars are all about helping smaller movies that wouldn't find an audience otherwise do so. For populist fare, there's always the People's Choice Awards.

• Like 2

Wow, Graham Moore's acceptance speech is really good. I didn't like the game and don't think he deserves the Oscar but fab speech.

Even though The Imitation Game shouldn't have won that award, I'm happy that he got his opportunity to say what he wanted to say.

Nolan movies. Everytime but the first Interstellar viewing

I am sure the tears in your eyes after TDKR were because of that stunning Marion Cotillard death scene. And Gordon sending ALL the cops to the sewers. And JGL somehow always knowing that Bruce Wayne was Batman. And not a single person connecting the death of Batman to the disappearance of Bruce Wayne. And I could continue forever. You get my point  :ph34r:

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

Oscar Ratings Fall Double Digits From 2014

http://deadline.com/2015/02/oscar-ratings-2015-academy-awards-show-abc-1201379351/

Bring back Ellen Degeneres.

Not surprising. A bunch of nominees not a lot of people had seen or were invested in seeing win, a host who got worse as the show went along (was that last prediction bit needed?), and an overlong show all add up to lower ratings.

They really should trim all the nonsense and just keep the awards, the in memoriam, the lifetime achievement and the best song performances. Cut everything else out, finish in 2 and a half hours. Can't do anything about the movies being nominated , so at least fix the ceremony instead.

• Like 1

What should they have actually nominated though? I liked, say, Winter Soldier enough but I sure as hell don't believe it deserved a BP nom. Hell, after the good but not great reviews it got even the gigantically popular American Sniper was probably lucky to get in there.

I think they should have nominated more movies like Gone Girl, Interstellar, The Fault in Our Stars, and Into the Woods. Maybe not all of them, but more movies like that. I understand that to a movie like Boyhood, those movies are massive blockbusters. But, they're really not the biggest blockbusters of the year.

So the Academy should be forced to nominate the highest-grossing movies of the year? I mean, yeah, it'd be nice to nominate a tentpole or two, but the Oscars aren't a popularity contest. Get used to it.

would you stop twisting peoples words, that's all you do. You take a post and twist it to form your own little argument that suits you even though it actually has no relevance to what he said.

• Like 1