39 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Super 8

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

We spend our days confessing our love for Meryl Streep and how much we hate our history class. Video games never come up in a conversation.YEEEEEEEEP, we all walked out of Super 8, there were at least five or six of us, and we were like, "HOLY GOD I WANT TO MAKE A MOVIE" so that night we discussed plots. It's a super confusing psychological thriller :Pbythewayyoustolemybirthday

What's it called Tinker, Tailor, Black Swan? :P I have so many disagreements with my friends about movies if I had a dollar for how many times that disliked a masterpiece I'd have about $100. Which is actually alot when you think about it. :lol: I was just arguing with one who thought Fast Five was way better than Drive, lol.And I didn't steal your birthday, I just made it better. Now you can celebrate the fact that you share a birthday with a freakishly awesome person B)
  • Like 2

i`m glad someone made this thread because I forgot almost all about this movie. I vaguely remember that Elle Fanning had a lot of make-up because she played a main actress in a kid zombie flick and that there was some really hockey looking alien at the end. I don`t recall anything in between save Kyle Chandler`s face. Kids who aren`t Elle I can`t even recall their faces let alone names or what they did.

After the scope gets bigger and it turns into a scifi movie Super 8 goes to shit.

I had the same issue with Cowboys & Aliens: things were looking good, I was having a good time.. and then they have to throw in some scifi crap to ruin it all. I much rather would have watched just a regular western with Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig, because the town and the characters they established were so much more interesting than a bunch of generic action against aliens. 

Super 8 starts out beautifully. I loved the kid characters, they were likable and they all had cool personalities. The movie looked authentically 70's and the time period was captured with nice detail. I also really enjoyed the "Kids making their first movie" aspect. Overall I found the movie very charming at first. Then the admittedly bad ass train crash happens and things start to roll downhill. Why did they have to ruin it with aliens! Come on! Just make it be about a bunch of kids living their lives and making their first movie in the 70's! That would have been so much more fascinating to me than what turns out to be a rather unmemorable, rushed and in some ways a bit cynical movie. 

2,5/5

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 1

i`m glad someone made this thread because I forgot almost all about this movie. I vaguely remember that Elle Fanning had a lot of make-up because she played a main actress in a kid zombie flick and that there was some really hockey looking alien at the end. I don`t recall anything in between save Kyle Chandler`s face. Kids who aren`t Elle I can`t even recall their faces let alone names or what they did.

And I think he was a goalie too.  ;)

Ive always connected with this movie on a deep level but last night I rewatched it and picked up on something I never noticed before. 

The very end when Joe catches his locket before if gets sucked into the space ship, his locket is the only thing left, still waiting to become part of the ship. All the other pieces flew there already, actually his locket doesn't get sucked out his pocket until everything else is already in place.

now if you remember the Alien deeply connects with whoever it touches they almost become 1 in a way. The alien wont leave until Joe lets go of his locket, the alien is waiting for him to let go. Its the alien telling him its ok to move on, its the alien saying hey I understand but its ok. Blew my mind last night. Great movie.

B+ (89)

• Like 3

I loved it. While it's not quite as great as the films it homages, it deftly mixes well-executed set pieces, believable and poignant characterization, legitimately effective humor (I laughed heartily at its one-f-bomb allowance), and just the right sense of nostalgia into one breezily irresistible cocktail.

A-

• Like 3

I just love the feel of it, Courtney and Fanning ooze chemistry together and the acting was pretty good. The conclusion is a bit by the numbers, but it doesn't really matter because Abrams creates an emotional ending, Joe holding back the necklace at the end had me shedding some tears . Pretty enjoyable flick.

70/100

dat Giacchino score.

Edited by Goffe R Swanson
  • Like 1