39 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Super 8

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I adore this film. I have absolutely no problem with the fact that the monster wasn't the main factor. Actually, the reason why I love this film so much is because it isn't. That allowed the film to focus more on the characters and their journeys - which I think was one of the highlights of the entire year. I can't remember feeling so much for a group of characters since Potter the way I did for these in the film. It radiates as a coming of age story. Very touching film.

Second best of the year.

• Like 6

Super 8's origins were as two unrelated stories that Abrams decided to combine into one film; and it definitely shows. What could've been either an intimate suburban drama or a thrilling sci-fi horror ends up being a lot less than the sum of its parts when the two stories are combined. The first hour or so sets things up pretty well and I really can't deny how awesome that train crash was, but the lame resolution is just inexcusable after all that buildup.

C

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

I enjoyed the movie, it was a fun homage to Spielberg with a bit of the J.J. Abrams mystery mixed in. I wasn't emotionally involved with the story or characters but in the end, I found it to be an entertaining flick that I probably would watch again one day. A-

• Like 2

This is a tale of two movies in one. One's a terrifically charming story of young kids growing up. The other is a alien story that always feels like it shouldn't be there. I liked the first story. Not so much the second. Seriously, what was the deal with the alien?

• Like 2

I have to agree with tribefan here; this felt rather split-in-two. The children were good to fantastic, a lot of work went into the setup and this setup should have been allowed to play out in a much more realistic way. It was not even the alien which took me out of the film (though that wasn't too good either) but the scene where the boys run through the village with tanks firing around, grenades going off everywhere and so on.Still, more enjoyable than not and we bought this on BR :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah, this was a let down for me. The first 20 minutes are intriguing and then it all just falls apart. Throughout there are moments that are great, but the story just kind of falls flat.B-

This is pretty much what I was going to write. I really wanted to like the film and there were parts that I really did like. But overall, it did kind of decline as it went along.B/B-
  • Like 1

I agree with Noctis and lab here.Super 8, for me was a brilliant coming-of-age story and movie. If you were looking for a monster movie, you've come to the wrong theatre. I adore the fact that despite the presence of the alien, it never overshadowed, in my opinion, the real story unfolding on screen, which was these kids on their summer vacation being forced to grow up and confront their fears.Still, top of the year for me. Can't wait to watch it a third time!

• Like 3

We spend our days confessing our love for Meryl Streep and how much we hate our history class. Video games never come up in a conversation.YEEEEEEEEP, we all walked out of Super 8, there were at least five or six of us, and we were like, "HOLY GOD I WANT TO MAKE A MOVIE" so that night we discussed plots. It's a super confusing psychological thriller :Pbythewayyoustolemybirthday

• Like 3