Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend Numbers SB: 56, AS 24.1, JA 19 pg 54

I just saw Jupiter Ascending. I won't spoil anything since I'm on my phone and can't do the tags. But imagine if someone took the Matrix, the Muppets, Fifth Element, a high end fashion show, Transformers 4 and Epcot center and threw them in a blender and this movie comes out in smoothie form.

so it's bad
  • Like 1

When your OW is below what a Super Bowl spot cost, your Super Bowl spot was a terrific idea

I actually don't think airing the spot cost them anything. NBC hadn't sold all airtime till a day before the superbowl, which showed with basically all the Universal movies getting long spots during the game. Seventh Son got a free spot for sure. 

• Like 2

nothing saves that movie back in March of 2013 when this had a October 18, 2013 release date I said that this would have still bombed but not as more horrendous as these early expectations Universal really needs to put something out besides Fifty Shades and Furious 7 oh wait they have Unfriended in April, Pitch Perfect 2 in May, Jurassic World and Ted 2 in June to likely save them from this rut

Don't forget Minions.

When your OW is below what a Super Bowl spot cost, your Super Bowl spot was a terrific idea

The spot was free. NBC and Universal are part of the same company.

Prequels, yo.

I still think somewhere hidden in the contracts of JA it says that if it bombs they have to make another Matrix, either prequel or sequel.

• Like 1

Jupiter Ascending flopping, almost guaranteed means that a studio head is going to go to them with the proposition of "Make another Matrix movie, or we won't be financing your next 100M+ budgeted flight of fancy".

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

prequels are always super smart. bcos  you know when you're watching a movie and you're all "But how does this exist right now?!?" with literally every detail? good job prequels. thanks to Oz The Great and Powerful I can watch Wizard of Oz without thinking "Now why THE FUCK is she flying on a broom right now?"

• Like 2

Jupiter Ascending flopping almost guaranteed mean that a studio head is going to go to them with the proposition of "Make another Matrix movie, or we won't be financing your next 100M+ budgeted flight of fancy".

Warner Bros will tell the Wachowskis no more or if they do something intelligent and fresh like The Matrix that gets people's interest

prequels are always super smart. bcos  you know when you're watching a movie and you're all "But how does this exist right now?!?" with literally every detail? good job prequels. thanks to Oz The Great and Powerful I can watch Wizard of Oz without thinking "Now why THE FUCK is she flying on a broom right now?"

Prequels do tend to get into the trap of trying to answer every single question no one ever asked, and give a backstory to every single detail no one actually cares about.

• Like 2

Iffy for Spongebob but kids movies have pulling power on Saturdays and Sundays though, Jupiter Ascending might debut less than 20 million and Seventh Son opens less than 7 million well then Pluto Nash says hello

Iffy on SpongeBob? a $9.5 million Friday would mean $25-30 million for an adult themed movie. For a kids movie with no competition, this could get a 4x-4.5x multi from its OD. $38-43 million on low end. $44-49 million on high end 

$9.5 million

$17 million

$11 million

$37 million 3 day

$11 million

$20 million

$13.5 million 

$44.5 million 3 day

$37-45 million is a good place to be. And SpongeBob 2 could still go up to $11.5-12.5 million if teens/ young adults show up in droves later tonight. 

Edited by mahnamahna