Avatree

Bad performances in great films

Who the fuck is Paul Herman and why do we care about him?

He plays Randy that guy where Robert DeNiro plays his bets with. I named him because his performance was so badly over the top that he ruined all the scenes he was in. Seeing as how Silver Linings Playbook is a great film, this seemed rather fitting.

• Like 1

Do you really consider

Tropic Thunder &  Speed

as great movies?

I very much love Speed 1 as an action movie, but I would never describe it as a great movie

It does have some great performances - including Reeve's IMHO - and other details, especially Bullock's energetic play in a sitting role I consider a rather difficult problem greatly solved/done, but in the sum not what I'd consider a 'really' great movie, but one of the most enjoyable movies with a high quality, but still not 'great', out of that decade).

Never saw Tropic Thunder (didn't even knew the title) and after taking a look into it I am pretty sure about to not ever will watch it, seems way too slapstic... for my taste and IMHO didn't look great to me either.

Might be a language thingy, maybe we define the term in different ways / with different meanings?

I think the issue is about how we're defining 'great'. I mean 'great' as in 4 star or 5 star films. I don't mean masterpieces :)

I think Speed is really good - it's well-paced, energetic, entertaining, Bullock is good, Hopper is fantastic, it has enough plot twists to keep it interesting but not so many that it's annoying. The ending is arguably bad but overall I think it's a fab film. But Keanu is just.... ugh. I can never believe any character he plays. He is SO wooden. He can't act to save his life.

I originally dismissed Tropic Thunder as a stupid slapstick action-comedy, but it's a surprisingly intelligent critique of Hollywood, as well as being incredibly funny. It got an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor, btw, so it's not like it's so

me useless stupid film. It's genuinely very good.

But Jack Black was annoying in every scene, just playing his usual dumb, crazy character. It felt really out of place and ultimately served no purpose other than one plot device near the end. (And I say this as a huge Jack Black fan)

I thought Orlando Bloom was perfect as legolas, sure he's not the best actor in the world but the role was fitting, kind of feel the Same about Mark in Star Wars, he may have not been an perfect actor, but I thought he fit the part of Luke well. and Keanu was great in Speed.

Orlando Bloom is up there with Keanu in the high ranks of non-acting. He just stares at things and looks slightly confused most of the time.

Legolas's role in the films was toned down but even so, he didn't fit the part. Legolas never felt like an elf, he never looked like he cared about anything, and was generally a waste of space. He might look gorgeous as Legolas but he was one of the worst things about LotR.

Mark Hamill has the charisma of a wardrobe. Hamill has developed into a really interesting actor over the years but when he started off, he just couldn't cut it. Yeah, he's meant to be the innocent farm boy, but he never really seems to know what he's doing in the films. He just annoys me a lot, tbh. Ford, Fisher, Prowse/Earl Jones, Cushing, Williams, Daniels, Baker, Guinness, Oz, McDiarmid - ALL the cast, from minor roles to leads, are charismatic, engaging and memorable, except Hamill.

Russell Crowe in almost every good film he's done.

Yep. I think his performance in A Beautiful Mind is great, but that's the exception to the rule. He's a really bland actor. I haven't seen Noah yet, so maybe it'll change.

Romper Stomper, The Insider, LA Confidential, Gladiator, 3:10 to Yuma, American Gangster, Master and Commander, State of Play...

I respectfully disagree brah

Really? A good film can't have a single bad performance? Acting isn't everything in a movie.

I agree about Katie Holmes in Batman Begins.

I agree, in fact there are some movies were the acting is not even good, which I still consider pretty darn good movies.

Russell Crowe in almost every good film he's done.

Yep. I think his performance in A Beautiful Mind is great, but that's the exception to the rule. He's a really bland actor. I haven't seen Noah yet, so maybe it'll change.

Overrated actor for sure (come at me, forums).

I'm borderline on this one: Kim Cattrall in Star Trek VI. Again, maybe more "forgettable" than "bad"? Another one where I keep having to remind myself, "Oh yeah, she was in that movie, wasn't she?"

Either way, I wish Kirstie Alley had actually agreed to return as Saavik for less pay than she wanted, instead of turning it down. She'd have been much better.

Edited by TServo2049

I can't believe this russell crowe bullshit. LA Confidential, Romper Stomper, The Insider, Master and Commander, 3:10 to yuma even A Beautiful Mind and cinderella man, which are both dogshit but he's so good. He has more performances that I'd qualify as good work in a bad movie than the other way around, like Man With The Iron Fists, which is an active turdcano but Crowe seems to be having a blast and he's awesome.

• Like 3

Daniel radcliffe/Emma Watson in Harry Potter. Both are embarrassingly bad at times

I think they got better as the films progressed and for being cast so young, I think the casting directer did a damn fine job of guessing potentail talent in a bunch of 10 year olds.

However, Draco Malfoy was the one major mis-step of all of those kids. He really blossomed into a steaming turd of an actor.

• Like 3