Chewy

Arrival | Nov 11, 2016 | Villeneuve/Adams/Renner | First Reviews Have Arrived.

[Fantastic Fest Review] ‘Arrival’ is Denis Villeneuve’s Most Affecting Film to Date

Arrival is a truly affecting piece of filmmaking. It deals with global themes that are more relevant today than ever before and is bookended by some tear-jerking emotional wallops. The fact of the matter is that no review can explain just how this film will affect you. This is more than a film. It is an experience. So go experience it.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/3407801/fantastic-fest-review-arrival/

3 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

New Review: BEST SCI-FI IN RECENT MEMORY

"Arrival may be the best science fiction film to come out in recent memory. It’s smart, quiet, and infused with heart. Arrival is soulful down to its very core, and director Denis Villeneuve portrays the impact that an impending alien invasion has on people on both a micro and macro level quite effectively. Not only do we get to see the intimate reactions between our main characters, we also get to experience the differing dynamics between the major countries who have had the luck of an alien ship landing in their backyard. In other words, the stakes of the film are deeply personal, but are shown against a vast global backdrop."

https://caffeinatedfilm.com/2016/09/26/fantastic-fest-arrival-review/

15 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

This year's Interstellar? Amy Adams' sci-fi gem ARRIVAL is much more than that

The hardest thing for any science fiction movie to achieve these days is a real sense of amazement or wonder. Audiences quickly get used to seeing ever more fantastical things and as your tolerance rises, filmmakers have to push things further and further to get any reaction. It's why those first few series of The X-Files were so jaw-dropping, but the last were just eye-rolling.

And the more impressive special effects get, the less likely you are to believe your eyes. Moments like that first glimpse at a dinosaur in Jurassic Park or finally meeting the tuneful visitors in Close Encounters of the Third Kind just don't come along all that often.

Believe the hype, then.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/review/a809148/arrival-review-amy-adams-stars-rare-sci-fi-gem-with-wit-wisdom-wonder/?utm_content=bufferae099&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=maintwitterpost

On 9/26/2016 at 2:23 PM, MinaTakla said:

IGN: Amy Adams delivers a powerhouse performance in tale of alien visitation.

Arrival is a language lesson masquerading as a blockbuster, though much more entertaining than that sounds. The film features shades of Interstellar, Contact and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, but never feels derivative. Rather it’s smart, sophisticated sci-fi that that asks BIG questions, and does a pretty good job of answering them.

stop_penis_erect_archer.gif

• Like 3

Reactions for ARRIVAL from the BFI London Film Festival press screening are in! GREAT reactions (99% raves, love, passion, very positive). I’ll report on the official premiere later. Enjoy the tweets. 

Fred ‏@fritzerina  3h3 hours ago
I just got mindfucked #arrival

Contrarah ‏@Contrarah  3h3 hours ago
I could have watched that for another 2 hours #Arrival

Kay Dekker ‏@kay_way  3h3 hours ago
Didn't think I would, but I LOVED #Arrival. Smart, gripping and original. Amazing film.

Amanda ‏@filmvsbook  3h3 hours ago
#Arrival is absolutely stunning filmmaking, tainted slightly by an overly cheesy ending that wasn't needed. 4* #lff #LondonFilmFestival

BFSR ‏@BFSRFilm  3h3 hours ago
Everything you heard about #Arrival is true. Breathtaking science fiction cinema with intellect, charm and beauty. A new #LFF high point.

Callum Petch ‏@CallumPetch  3h3 hours ago
Shut it down. Shut the festival down. We're done here. We've peaked. It's over. We're not getting any better. Pack it up. #Arrival #LFF2016

JamesStirlingWilson ‏@James_SWilson  3h3 hours ago
I'm going to need some time to process what I just saw. #Arrival #LFF

BFSR ‏@BFSRFilm  3h3 hours ago
Or, as Jeremy Renner's Ian Donnelly says: "Holy fuck!" #Arrival #LFF

MaryAnn Johanson ‏@maryannjohanson  2h2 hours ago
#Arrival is astonishing. True science fiction. Plays beautifully with cinematic storytelling conventions. A masterpiece. #LFF #LFF2016 @BFI

RMH ‏@zeldarms  2h2 hours ago
When films like #Arrival exist, the world is a brilliant place. What utter magic cinema can be. #LFF

Joni Blyth ‏@JoniBlyth  2h2 hours ago
I feel like I need to walk it off - so many feelings, so many questions #Arrival #LFF

David Willoughby ‏@DWill_Crackfilm  2h2 hours ago
While not as smart as it reckons #DenisVilleneuve's #Arrival is a commendable stab at hard sci-go which bodes well for #BladeRunner sequel

Callum Petch ‏@CallumPetch  2h2 hours ago
I am in complete awe over just how outstanding #Arrival is. I'm having trouble articulating into words, which is fitting, really. #LFF2016

It is beautiful, heartfelt, optimistic hard sci-fi directed masterfully, paced exquisitely, and pitched perfectly. #Arrival #LFF2016

Wurtzel ‏@Wurtz3l  2h
And in the name of all that is sacred, that give an Oscar already to Amy Adams. Or two, I know. #Arrival #LFF2016
Marta Corato ‏@emme_c  2h2 hours ago
aliens are the least important part of #Arrival. such an intelligent, poignant film about understanding otherness. #LFF

THIS is the film that Interstellar should have been. Denis Villeneuve knocks it out of every single goddamn park. #Arrival #LFF2016

Back Row Podcast ‏@backrowfilms  2h2 hours ago
It's like a Chris Nolan film with added emotions. #arrival #LFF2016 http://wp.me/p6WJkx-aH  #arrivalmovie

Okan Elmali ‏@OkanElmali  2h2 hours ago
Amazingly entertained! Fantastic sci-fi! #Arrival #LFF #BFI

Matt Wright ‏@MattWriggit  2h2 hours ago
#LFF #Arrival shows why people should be thrilled about Villeneuve directing Blade Runner. A great original sci-fi, unlike much seen before

Neil Alcock ‏@IncredibleSuit  2h2 hours ago
Here's my review of #Arrival, starring Amy Adams. As opposed to The Arrival, starring Charlie Sheen http://bit.ly/ArrivaI  #LFF

Davide Cantire ‏@Deiv90  2h
#Arrival: an alien invasion to trace human coordinates, philosophise gracefully on time and choice, hope, love and marriage. #LFF
Matt Anderson ‏@behind_theseens  2h2 hours ago
#Arrival: astounding vision, articulation & craft from Villeneuve. Elliptical study of hyper intelligence, time & space. Stunning. #LFF win.

Lefteris Parasyris ‏@eleftherios12  2h2 hours agoLondon, England
#Arrival is undeniably breathtaking but it kind of wobbles when it's trying to be intimate. #LFF2016

Ben Rabinovich ‏@benjyrabs  2h2 hours ago
Thought #Arrival was great. Not as incredible as I thought it would be but still, not disappointing. Interesting and intelligent. #LFF2016

Hello Mozart ‏@HelloMozart  2h2 hours agoLondon, England
#Arrival: What a way to start the week. Great film, what sci-fi should strive to be. #LFF @BFI

steve... ‏@loikeIsaidbut  2h2 hours ago
second time seeing #Arrival & I cried at the beauty/intelligence/humanity of it all once again. profoundly stunning/moving cinema. #LFF2016

Chiara Ventura @ColdAsIceCream
ARRIVAL!!!!!! I had to sit down at the back through the credits before I could leave OLS. I'm still shaking. NEED to watch it again #LFF2016

Nigel Floyd ‏@nigelfloyd  2h2 hours ago
Just seen Denis Villeneuve's #Arrival Emotionally wrung-out. Like being enveloped by an elegant, graceful, mysterious spaceship. #LFF

Ben Rabinovich ‏@benjyrabs  2h2 hours ago
Villeneuve's direction is excellent - focus on just the right things in just the right way. Amy Adams is awesome (as always) #Arrival #LFF

Jake Cunningham ‏@CunninghamJH  2h2 hours ago
#Arrival is smart, intimate and never brashly shouts how clever it's being. Feels like an indie blockbuster at points. Not about the aliens

Rebecca Perfect ‏@Rebecca_Perfect  2h2 hours ago
Pretty blown away by #Arrival this morning at the #LFF such a smart sci-fi and Amy Adams was excellent.

Johnny Ellis ‏@movie_mad  2h2 hours ago
#Arrival was oh so good but oh so confusing!

Verena Cote ‏@youdefinebeauty  2h2 hours ago
#Arrival is likely to be the best film you will see during #lff2016! Beautiful visuals and a story that both surprises and stuns.

Verena Cote ‏@youdefinebeauty  2h2 hours ago
Amy Adams has never been better. She carries the movie on strong female shoulders and I couldn't love her more for it #arrival #lff2016

Girls Love Sci-Fi ‏@GirlsLoveSciFi  2h2 hours ago
#Arrival: one of the most satisfying, visually arresting, complex alien invasion films ever made. It's everything we wanted it to be & more.

Lefteris Parasyris ‏@eleftherios12  2h2 hours agoLondon, England
#AmyAdams is the driving force of #Arrival She's so extraordinary at being normal that it blows your mind! @ODEONLSq

Nirpal Bhogal ‏@NirpalB  2h2 hours ago
#Arrival is an incredible film. An examination of what would happen if aliens arrived and how we'd communicate,the movie I wanted for years!

Davide Cantire ‏@Deiv90  2h2 hours ago
#Arrival is another piece of art by Denis Villeneuve. A tale of hope for humanity all. Astonishing and profound. #LFF #LFF2016

Matthew AndersonVerified account ‏@MattAndersonBBC  2h2 hours agoLondon, England
Saw #Arrival at #LFF2016. Some incredible otherworldly scenes & interesting ideas - as well as cheesy America-saves-the-world nonsense ★★★☆☆

@benjyrabs @AmyAdamsUpdate I think amy adams is getting ready to break the ceiling with #Arrival & #NocturnalAnimals in Nov. Worldwide.

Ugh, I keep having to fight back the urge to burst into tears again over the beauty of #Arrival. Not kidding, it's that good. #LFF2016

Nigel Floyd ‏@nigelfloyd  2h2 hours ago
How appropriate that #Arrival 's sense of cosmic wonder is achieved not with CGI, but through close-ups of Amy Adams' expressive face. 

Mike Powell ‏@MikePWrites  2h2 hours ago
Arrival was excellent across the board. Refreshing to have sci-if of equal parts quality and entertainment. #LFF #Arrival

Shaun Wren ‏@Shaun_Wren  2h2 hours ago
I'm not sure if #Arrival has made me smarter or stupider. All I know it was a brilliant & beautifully shot film & Amy Adams is superb! #LFF

The name? Marvel Boy ‏@MarvelManChild  2h2 hours ago
#Arrival I never left

Ali PlumbVerified account ‏@AliPlumb  1h1 hour ago
Initial reaction adjectives to #Arrival: beautiful, impressive, ambitious, atmospheric, cold, clever, clever-clever, inventive. Very good. 

Alexandra Blue ‏@alexandrablue4  1h1 hour ago
#Arrival at #LFF this morning was incredible. Intelligent, beautiful and thought provoking. And #AmyAdams is awesome.

Ali PlumbVerified account ‏@AliPlumb  1h1 hour ago
I really like #Arrival, and I'm sure as I think about it more, I'll end up loving it. Proper high sci-fi: very classy, very sleek. Thinky. 

Mac ‏@AliciaMacDonald  1h1 hour ago
#Arrival = fave film of the fest so far with its misty high-concept high jinks. And as ever, excellent scissor skills @huckabaloo. #LFF2016

Jake Cunningham ‏@CunninghamJH  1h1 hour ago
As our world becomes increasingly smaller, #Arrival intelligently highlights the importance and confusion of translation in conflict. #LFF

((Adam Wells))) ‏@mr_gotgotneed  53m53 minutes ago
#Arrival disappoints. Looks beautiful with a strong lead performance, but it falls foul of over-complication & sci-fi cliche. #ArrivalMovie

TheLastWordOnEarth ‏@lastwordonearth  7m7 minutes ago
LFF 2016 - Arrival - One Arrival that was definitely worth the wait! @ http://thelastwordonearth.com  #LFF #LFF2016 #Arrival 

Tom Bond ‏@tom_bond  3h3 hours ago
ARRIVAL: I think I just saw the best film of the year @1RoomWithAView #LFF

FilmLand Empire  ? ‏@FilmLandEmpire  3h3 hours ago
ARRIVAL: cerebral but not cold, awe-inspiring... I adored it! Amy Adams is EVERYTHING!! #LFF

Joni Blyth ‏@JoniBlyth  3h3 hours ago
Arrival: cracking stuff. Amy Adams is spectacular, Villeneuve has made the first contact movie I've always dreamed of #LFF @1RoomWithAView

DavidNathanWilliams ‏@dnwilliams  3h3 hours ago
ARRIVAL is essential viewing, fav #LFF film next to THE HANDMAIDEN so far

Martyn Conterio ‏@Cinemartyn  3h3 hours ago
Arrival - turns out Amy Adams is the fifth dimension #LFF

Matthew Rodgers ‏@MainstreamMatt  3h3 hours ago
Arrival evolves from intelligent Sci-Fi to be something completely unexpected and beautiful #LFF

Mild Concern ‏@mild_concern  3h3 hours ago
#lff2016 Film 16 - Arrival     Solid science fiction with a linguistic twist #lff https://www.instagram.com/p/BLYNR9ahq92/ 

Philip Bagnall ‏@CynicalFilm  3h3 hours ago
Arrival: Try as Adams might, this sci-fi's broad themes, surface thrills and blindness to its own hollowness are now pure Villeneuve. #LFF

Martyn Conterio ‏@Cinemartyn  3h3 hours ago
Arrival - the awe of existence, the power of knowledge and the cruelty of time. Villeneuve continues his rise to greatness. #LFF

FilmLand Empire  ? ‏@FilmLandEmpire  3h3 hours ago
Some of ARRIVAL's implications are so mind-boggling yet it presents them in a simple, universal way #LFF

Hayley ‏@HayleyWright  3h3 hours ago
Arrival: Emotive alien invasion drama that asks more questions about the nature of humanity than that of the visitors. #LFF #HayleyReviews

olilyttelton ‏@olilyttelton  3h3 hours ago
ARRIVAL: First Villeneuve film I've unreservedly loved, and man did I love it. Heady sci-fi w/ a devastating yet oddly uplifting ending #LFF

Chris Presswell ‏@ChrisPresswell  3h3 hours ago
Arrival is bloody amazing. That's all I have to say on the matter. #lff

siân melton ‏@sharnacious  3h3 hours ago
#LFF Arrival: an intellectual sci-if but ultimately built on the intricacies of language and communication; deeply compassionate and human.

Matthew Evenson ‏@MatthewEvenson  3h3 hours ago
Totally floored by Arrival. Sci-fi driven by the desires to communicate and foster relationships. Emotionally overwhelming. #LFF #LFF2016

Jake Harvey ‏@JakeOHarvey  3h3 hours ago
Arrival is stunning, melancholy sci-fi that creates moments of wonder. Hope our audience give it a chance. #LFF

Jamie Graham ‏@jamie_graham9  3h3 hours ago
Arrival: contained, intelligent, heartfelt sci-fi, both grounded & poetic. Day the Earth Stood Still with added metaphysical layers #LFF

Jessy Voorhees ? ‏@JessyCritical  2h2 hours ago
Wow, Arrival was phenomenal. LOVED it. Complex, gripping, beauitful. #LFF

Craig Skinner ‏@CSkinner  1h1 hour ago
ARRIVAL is really great. Such brilliant economy in the script, precision in the direction and emotion in Adams’ performance. #LFF

• Like 2

CubvKUnWEAA9hzL.jpg:orig
Wow. Poignant, graceful and emotionally draining. Even skimming through an early (Black List?) draft this summer didn't prepare me for the way Villeneuve handled this story - I'll go into more spoilery details another time but suffice to say, he made this simpler and more poignant and affecting as a result. And it is an incredibly smart, thought-provoking and powerful story, if quiet and restrained - it's much more of a quieter slow burn than I expected, but it still keeps you on edge and leaves you really emotionally drained by the end. Out of the 3 Villeneuve films I've seen (Prisoners, Sicario and this) - this is by far the most emotional.

Visually stunning work from Bradford Young - I'm a sucker for this sort of visual look, I just wish this would get an IMAX release sometime because this just begs to be seen on the biggest screen possible. Couple that with Johannsson's chilling score (that - I'm calling this the "Arrival horn"! :o) and you've got yourself one hell of an atmosphere. 

The most important thing is Amy Adams though who delivers a really really great performance - I'm very curious to see how she is in Nocturnal Animals on Friday (and I need to see that first before throwing any Oscar predictions) but she does really great work here. Renner is great to watch also, and Whitaker and Stuhlbarg were welcome sights too - such a good ensemble.

Basically - everyone go see this when it comes out because we need more movies like this. Movie of the year so far for me. And Blade Runner 2049 is in VERY good hands if this is to go by.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Wikipedia says it's coming to the US.

Yeah, it's said that for a while - without a source, no less. Nothing on IMAX's or Paramount's sites/materials, and their CMO herself said it's not coming. Who knows though....maybe/I hope they'll pull a Martian.