Chewy

Arrival | Nov 11, 2016 | Villeneuve/Adams/Renner | First Reviews Have Arrived.

IGN: Amy Adams delivers a powerhouse performance in tale of alien visitation.

Arrival is a language lesson masquerading as a blockbuster, though much more entertaining than that sounds. The film features shades of Interstellar, Contact and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, but never feels derivative. Rather it’s smart, sophisticated sci-fi that that asks BIG questions, and does a pretty good job of answering them.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

IGN: Amy Adams delivers a powerhouse performance in tale of alien visitation.

Arrival is a language lesson masquerading as a blockbuster, though much more entertaining than that sounds. The film features shades of Interstellar, Contact and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, but never feels derivative. Rather it’s smart, sophisticated sci-fi that that asks BIG questions, and does a pretty good job of answering them.

Prometheus asked big questions as well. And it was a handsome movie, well written, acted, and directed.
But where is those >90% RT for Prometheus?
Was it because it wasn't what the critics thought it'd be?

But yes. Arrival is the one to see this year. 

So critics are fapping to this but I read a review that it was cheap as hell and very small in scale, like Interstellar ambitions with the budget and scope of a Power Rangers episode.

And Dennis Villeneuve is not as smart a he thinks he is.

Edited by The Futurist

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

if the mixed reactions to passengers is true, this could make more denaro

It wasn't 'mixed reactions' it was one reaction that was mixed but said the other 1000 people who drove to Irvine to see it responded enthusiastically.  This is what I meant when I said in another thread that certain people seem anti-passengers because of defensiveness about this film.  They are two very different kinds of films. I don't think this was expected to be a blockbuster, but an awards contender, and from what I can tell from the trailer, Passengers is more of a blockbuster space adventure.  Rogue One is going to be bigger than either one.

• Like 1

Here are the new reactions from Fantastic Fest and.....RAVES again!

Joe John ‏@tut___  1h1 hour ago
ARRIVAL was so smart and great. Amy Adams forever. #FantasticFest

Kenny Madison ‏@MyMagicLesson  2h2 hours ago
3rd film: Arrival. Excellent sci-fi, great film, and incredibly important given our adversarial political stances. #fantasticfest

Kirk Reimer ‏@KreepyKirk  2h2 hours ago
#Arrival is a brilliant, beautiful, sci-fi film! #FantasticFest

Fantastic TedVerified account ‏@esdin  2h2 hours ago
I’m really looking forward to seeing Arrival 3 hours ago! It was one of the favorite movies I’m going to see. #FantasticFest #Time

Cinapse ‏@CinapseNews  2h2 hours ago
#FantasticFest Review - ARRIVAL is Smart, Considered, and Emotionally Resonant http://cinapse.co/2016/09/23/fantastic-fest-2016-arrival-smart-considered-emotionally-resonant-scifi/ … by @Texas_Jon

NegaMike ‏@mikeXplosion  2h2 hours ago
Arrival absolutely lives up to the hype. Smart, sweet, unapologetically nerdy and fucking beautiful. See this movie. #fantasticfest

MsJ @fantasticfest ‏@Msblerdess  2h2 hours ago
Ummmmmm that movie, tho. #arrival #FantasticFest #BGNFF

Ben Umstead ‏@BenUmstead  2h2 hours ago
ARRIVAL's beautiful message is to remain curious, keep learning. The circle is not round #FantasticFest

timothy weidelman ‏@tiny_cinema  2h2 hours ago
When it sinks in what Arrival is doing, it's equal parts heart breaking and mind blowing. #fantasticfest

Scott Daly ‏@scottdaly85  3h3 hours ago Austin, TX
ARRIVAL is what INTERSTELLAR wishes it could have been. #FantasticFest

Rafael Motamayor ‏@rgmotamayor  3h3 hours ago
#ARRIVAL is the best scifi movie in recent years and also one of the best movies of 2016. Loved the score by @maxrichtermusic #FantasticFest

College Movie Review ‏@cmoviereview  3h3 hours ago
Just saw #Arrival for the second time. It only gets better. One f best films of the year! #FantasticFest #austin

Gray Whitten ‏@el_gray  3h3 hours ago
ARRIVAL was a very smart and interesting piece of sci-fi, and linguists have a new hero!

Thanks for the early access, #FantasticFest ?

Tara ‏@TaterTot600  3h3 hours ago
I know I'm tough because I cried less than the dude next to me in #Arrival #FantasticFest

Erik Wacker ‏@erikwacker  3h3 hours ago
Arrival is the greatest movie of the year #FantasticFest

seth steele ‏@sethingtondev  3h3 hours ago
Arrival is a well made, smart sci-fi film that'll hit you right in the feels. A rare treat these days. Amy Adams was great #fantasticfest

Untuna@fantasticfest ‏@untunasandwich  3h3 hours ago
The Arrival was not what I expected at all but it was sooo good. Understated scifi. #FantasticFest

Ben@FantasticFest ? ⚔ ‏@bengrue  3h3 hours ago
I don't think I've seen a movie pass the Bechdel Test in 30 seconds before! 

(ARRIVAL @ #FantasticFest)

Dane Williams ‏@caffFilm  3h3 hours ago
Arrival was absolutely amazing. One of the best films of the year by far #FantasticFest

Ari Drew ‏@TheAriDrew  3h3 hours ago
#Arrival was EXACTLY my kind of film. Villeneuve's best for me. This + #Colossal made for such a wonderful birthday treat. #FantasticFest

Cody Schibi ‏@codyschibi  3h3 hours ago
Just got out of seeing ARRIVAL & it was pretty damn awesome. Definitely go see it when it arrives in theaters in November.
#FantasticFest

Ben@FantasticFest ? ⚔ ‏@bengrue  3h3 hours ago
ARRIVAL at #FantasticFest: No bullshit, kept me guessing, loved it. Highest praise for scifi.

Zachary Lennon-Simon ‏@zachlennonsimon  3h3 hours ago
82. Arrival. People of earth, you're gonna wanna see this one. Delivers all the nerd goods. #FantasticFest

Matt Barone ‏@MBarone  3h3 hours ago
Wow, ARRIVAL is a fucking masterwork. Denis Villeneuve is just another level when compared to other Hollywood directors. #FantasticFest

diaphinia ‏@diaphinia  3h3 hours ago
When H'wood gets scifi right and Tim League & co bring it home to Austin. The Arrival. One of the best #FantasticFest

Heather WixsonVerified account ‏@thehorrorchick  3h3 hours ago Austin, TX
I am an absolute emotional wreck after #ARRIVAL. A flat-out masterpiece Villenueve & a serious Best Picture contender. #FantasticFest

Andy ‏@AndyJames_ink  3h3 hours ago
Oh yeah, ARRIVAL delivers #FantasticFest

devin faraciVerified account ‏@devincf  3h3 hours ago
I'm pretty stunned by THE ARRIVAL. Wow. Wow. Wow. #FantasticFest

Sabina Stent ‏@SabinaStent  3h3 hours ago
Arrival is suprisingly tender & moving. Amy Adams is her usual flawless self & Jeremy Renner didn't annoy me once. Loved it #FantasticFest

Brendan Foley ‏@TheTrueBrendanF  3h3 hours ago
ARRIVAL *hurts* you guys. #FantasticFest

adam ‏@ADAMATOMIC  3h3 hours ago
ARRIVAL is the real deal #FantasticFest

Zach Wood ‏@zachnwood  2h2 hours ago
Still unpacking Arrival. A few odd choices but mostly very good. #FantasticFest

• Like 2

This year's Interstellar? Amy Adams' sci-fi gem ARRIVAL is much more than that

The hardest thing for any science fiction movie to achieve these days is a real sense of amazement or wonder. Audiences quickly get used to seeing ever more fantastical things and as your tolerance rises, filmmakers have to push things further and further to get any reaction. It's why those first few series of The X-Files were so jaw-dropping, but the last were just eye-rolling.

And the more impressive special effects get, the less likely you are to believe your eyes. Moments like that first glimpse at a dinosaur in Jurassic Park or finally meeting the tuneful visitors in Close Encounters of the Third Kind just don't come along all that often.

Believe the hype, then.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/review/a809148/arrival-review-amy-adams-stars-rare-sci-fi-gem-with-wit-wisdom-wonder/?utm_content=bufferae099&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=maintwitterpost

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Slowly getting hyped for this. Ever so slowly, but still, getting there.

Im so sold like 3 months ago.  SOLD DENIS VILLENUEVE (SP?).

Im ready.  This is the primer that makes me believe that Blade Runner 2 will be awesome.

• Like 2

New Review: BEST SCI-FI IN RECENT MEMORY

"Arrival may be the best science fiction film to come out in recent memory. It’s smart, quiet, and infused with heart. Arrival is soulful down to its very core, and director Denis Villeneuve portrays the impact that an impending alien invasion has on people on both a micro and macro level quite effectively. Not only do we get to see the intimate reactions between our main characters, we also get to experience the differing dynamics between the major countries who have had the luck of an alien ship landing in their backyard. In other words, the stakes of the film are deeply personal, but are shown against a vast global backdrop."

https://caffeinatedfilm.com/2016/09/26/fantastic-fest-arrival-review/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Futurist said:

So critics are fapping to this but I read a review that it was cheap as hell and very small in scale, like Interstellar ambitions with the budget and scope of a Power Rangers episode.

And Dennis Villeneuve is not as smart a he thinks he is.

giphy.gif

• Like 5